Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Network Drive with USB 3

I'm looking for a Network Drive with USB 3 where I can import and export on the USB 3 to and from my computer and on the ethernet to other computers. Is there such a drive?

Default Re: Network Drive with USB 3

Yes there are, they are working like a NAS. Normally these types will be more expensive than a std USB Drive only.

Other ways is if your Router has USB ports you can plug a USB drive into that and all the other Computers on the network will see it.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

My router is a USB 2. This drives I've looked at only has one way that data can flow on the USB 3 and if you know of one that data can flow both ways, please send me a link?

This type of thing, From PBTech but others will have them ( or simialr) as well. Its basically a NAS, not really a NAS/USB connection.

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/HDD...-Cloud-Storage

Manufactures Specs https://www.wd.com/products/personal...loud-home.html

Interface
    (1) Gigabit Ethernet
    My Cloud Home - (1) USB port for importing
    Last edited by wainuitech; 06-02-2019 at 05:17 PM.

USB port for importing

I have been looking at that drive for a week at amazon and I would like it to import and export on the USB 3 as said in my post and it is not explain very well so instead of buying it and returning it I'm just going to call WD Tech support and ask them. Transfer one or two hundred Gigs on Ethernet is a pain when I can do it 5 times faster on USB 3 but only between my computer and the Network drive. If I want to transfer that much data to another computer I will just walk my passport over called sneakernet. Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by lostsoul62 View Post
    USB port for importing

I have been looking at that drive for a week at amazon and I would like it to import and export on the USB 3 as said in my post and it is not explain very well so instead of buying it and returning it I'm just going to call WD Tech support and ask them. Transfer one or two hundred Gigs on Ethernet is a pain when I can do it 5 times faster on USB 3 but only between my computer and the Network drive. If I want to transfer that much data to another computer I will just walk my passport over called sneakernet. Thank You
    USB3 isnt faster than Modern Ethernet , for transferring files to some sort of storage drive . The bottleneck is the drive's read & write speeds
    Just buy a USB hard drive plug it into a PC & Share it off that PC . That way others can write to it via the network & you can still sneakernet it :-)

You might be able to by a ethernet device that connects USB HD's to the network.
    Its not commonly done, so may be hard to find what you are after.
    Last edited by 1101; 07-02-2019 at 08:40 AM.

USB port for importing

Transfer one or two hundred Gigs on Ethernet is a pain when I can do it 5 times faster on USB 3 but only between my computer and the Network drive. If I want to transfer that much data to another computer I will just walk my passport over called sneakernet. Thank You
    Its a LOT more complicated than that.

USB 3 is only faster over a short distance, theres also many other factors, for example if the computer cant handle the transfer rate then it doesn't matter how fast the connection is, it will only run as fast as the weakest point.

As its advised on another site:
    When you transfer data between two computers, you can use gigabyte ethernet which gives you 1000Mbps/125MBps theoretically, why because the speed will be limited by hard disk read/write speed. Unless you are using SSD, otherwise USB 3 is useless
    Both are different technologies and serve totally different purposes.

The 5 Gb/s theoretical transfer speed of USB 3.0 will be bottlenecked by a standard hard drive read speed, which averages 80 - 110 MB/s unless you using an SSD for an external
    looking at that statement, even with improved HDD speeds, if the Drive on the External (or Computer) is only a mechanical drive and you can bet your boots the external isn't SSD, then having USB3 ports means nothing, its restricted by the transfer rates as I mentioned of the weakest point(s).

An example, just did a test, transferred 10 GB from an External back up drive to a PC, USB3 ports, BUT the drives in the External is a WD NAS drive, PC standard Mechanical drive, the transfer rate was up and down but steady between 85-100MB/s Nowhere near the capabilities of USB3.

Really depends on what you are wanting to achieve.

I have been looking at that drive for a week at amazon and I would like it to import and export on the USB 3 as said in my post and it is not explain very well so instead of buying it and returning it I'm just going to call WD Tech support and ask them.
    I see what you mean , its as clear as mud for the av user . Bottom line: that WD NAS wont work via USB to PC

"My Cloud Home (1) USB port for importing" , huh ... could mean many things

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebas...r.aspx?ID=1544
    "My Cloud storage devices, as well as other WD NAS devices, cannot be connected to a computer using the built in USB ports."
    so why not just say that on the product page

What you can do , is have a backup USB HD connected to a NAS , and automate the NAS to backup(copy) to the USB.
    Then you could unplug the USB HD from the NAS & sneakernet it . Might only be usefull for copying to guest/friends PC's not setup for access to the NAS ?
    A bit micky mouse though :-)
    Last edited by 1101; 07-02-2019 at 11:32 AM.

Wanderer

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    USB3 isnt faster than Modern Ethernet , for transferring files to some sort of storage drive .
    Generally ya but you can get really expensive USB3.1 that performs at 300MB/sec. Like the Sandisk Extreme Pro. Not sure which does networking though ...

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/MEM...id-State-Flash

Re: those GBs of data. Just go away for a few hours I do that with a standard USB portable HDD when I do backups each 6 months ie after I take it out of the safe deposit box - that's my offsite backup. But fortunately I generally only update 100GB .. Yes if I was rebuilding my back up ... Or else SSD HDDs?

https://pp.co.nz/product/external-so...#&ref=pricespy
    Last edited by Nomad; 07-02-2019 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Generally ya but you can get really expensive USB3.1 that performs at 300MB/sec. Like the Sandisk Extreme Pro. Not sure which does networking though ...

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/MEM...id-State-Flash
    when I see "speeds of up to" ... I detect some marketing BS, possibly
    Like when they state USB3 theoretical speeds rather than the actual device speed

Im sure SSD's are available in USB cases...... more commonly USB HD's have slow slow internal drives .

I hardly ever use my WD NAS now. I just plug in an old school USB HD & backup to that .