Default Had to Activate W10 Pro again

I had Activated version of W10 x64 Pro v 1809 installed onto an 80GB HDD and used Aomei Backerupper to clone the HDD to a 500GB Sata HDD. After the cloning I had to resize the Clone to add the 420GB Unallocated space.
    But what I found was that after I had started to use the 500GB HDD with Cloned W10 installed it said that Windows needs activation. Why? Only the HDD had been changed. The OS was still installed to the same computer Mobo and CPU.

Default Re: Had to Activate W10 Pro again

Its not the OS, its the hardware, as someone else on another forum has posted
    Windows 10 has an equipment trust check it does at startup. If you change your system more than an "allowable" number of times, you might need to reactivate after the change. Typically a drive by itself would not do that, but if it is the last of a long line of changes, it might be why.
    This happens mostly because the activation takes into account a snapshot of the whole hardware of your computer, and if some critical part of it changes then Windows is mostly likely re-evaluating the license.
    Each Hard Drive has its own identity codes, while a hard drive normally wont trigger it, the fact that you have changed other hardware ( assuming its the "new Motherboard" mentioned a few weeks back) could all be part and parcel of it. Personally never had a problem if using retail licenses.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Default Re: Had to Activate W10 Pro again

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Its not the OS, its the hardware, as someone else on another forum has posted

Each Hard Drive has its own identity codes, while a hard drive normally wont trigger it, the fact that you have changed other hardware ( assuming its the "new Motherboard" mentioned a few weeks back) could all be part and parcel of it. Personally never had a problem if using retail licenses.
    wainuitech
    cheers for the explanation. Yeah I had to activate the W10 again after I had replaced the HW (MB and CPU and RAM) I mentioned a couple week ago.