Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Towing a trailer

Depending on the weight you are towing, distances etc & the vehicle you have, getting an aftermarket trans cooler installed might be a sensible idea.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    First time towing, or just first time in an automatic?

Rather exagerated. I hated the first one I drove, but now I own one and it's not that bad. They continue to improve them, and actually have reduced the efficiency a bit in some of them to make people happy with the way they feel.
    Mine only feels bad under heavy acceleration which you can improve somewhat with the S mode. The rest of the time it does all the things you said just fine. Once you get used to it regular automatics can actually feel a bit clunky.

Yeah there's a bit of a disconnect from the throttle to getting power on the wheels, and when you put your foot down it feels something like a slipping clutch giving you a lot of revs with no obvious effect initially. But that's hardly the end of the world. If you have a lead foot and an addiction to instant power you'll never like them, but it's a jump from there to "Hideous invention". Also a lot of heavy machinery uses them these days so they can build them strong enough to tow if they want to.
    "bit of a disconnect"
    "when you put your foot down it feels something like a slipping clutch"
    "feels bad under heavy acceleration"

Anything engineered into a vehicle these days that makes you deal with that is crap. Make all the excuses you like.

All I can say, from experince, is ots of practic & only small adjustments of steering wheel. If you hink a domestic trailer is hard to manoever, think of the trck drivers with a prime movr at front & two trailrs behind the cab. PJ
    Deafness.
    When I was younger I heard but didn't listen.
    Now I am older, I listen but cannot hear.

If it is not broke, don't make it broker by trying to make it better. (This applies specifically to PJ)

Quote Originally Posted by allblack View Post
    "bit of a disconnect"
    "when you put your foot down it feels something like a slipping clutch"
    "feels bad under heavy acceleration"

Anything engineered into a vehicle these days that makes you deal with that is crap. Make all the excuses you like.
    It's a side track from the question so I'll drop it after this.
    Not saying they are perfect, or that there are no issues with them, just saying daily driving in them is no big deal. You make it seem like the worst driving experience ever, it isn't.
    Most of the time in regular city driving you don't even notice it's a CVT, and the times you do it's just a bit of revs before the speed picks up - no biggy. The upside is they are very smooth and fuel efficient.

I have no problem with someone not liking them or prefering a manual or regular automatic, just saying they are perfectly fine for the average daily driver.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

hahaha...yeah ok, maybe 'hideous' was a bit extreme, but it's the nicest word I can think of after trying to get one up the Wainui Hill.

The trip down the other side is nothing short of fantastic! The Nissan Juke handles like a 70's Mini around corners.

hahaha...yeah ok, maybe 'hideous' was a bit extreme, but it's the nicest word I can think of after trying to get one up the Wainui Hill.The trip down the other side is nothing short of fantastic! The Nissan Juke handles like a 70's Mini around corners.
    Hmm. If it’s made by Nissan/jayco I feel your pain. We have two Toyota’s same year same engine. The CVT stomps all over the manual going over the wainui hill. I do this hill 2-3 times a day. CVT also out accelerates the manual quite easily. You just got to know how to drive them to get the best out of them.
    samsung, discovering a new galaxy every month

Quote Originally Posted by wratterus View Post
    Depending on the weight you are towing, distances etc & the vehicle you have, getting an aftermarket trans cooler installed might be a sensible idea.
    I see your point, but probably not worth it for the number of times it will happen and the weight.
    We are all but temporary files on the great HDD of life.

Quote Originally Posted by plod View Post
    Hmm. If it’s made by Nissan/jayco I feel your pain. We have two Toyota’s same year same engine. The CVT stomps all over the manual going over the wainui hill. I do this hill 2-3 times a day. CVT also out accelerates the manual quite easily. You just got to know how to drive them to get the best out of them.
    Are you a Wellington boy?

Are you a Wellington boy?
    Born in Ngaio, bred in newlands, now I’m wainui
    samsung, discovering a new galaxy every month

Nice. That's three here I know of then.