Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OCR

Default OCR

Hi All.
    Is thre a good free OCR programms that would convert my not very good printed, black pen on paper, letters. Hand print copy from printer to computer & convert to legible text. Thanks. PJ
    Deafness.
    When I was younger I heard but didn't listen.
    Now I am older, I listen but cannot hear.

If it is not broke, don't make it broker by trying to make it better. (This applies specifically to PJ)

Default Re: OCR

What scanner do you have?

If it's a canon, some of them have a program called Navigator you can scan with. It'll either create a pic or a pdf file from scanned files

Epson Multi WDF 4600 with OCR built in. I should try his first shouldnt I? I write/print with a 1.0 mm black biro on lined paper. I scan this to a USB stick & send email. I cannot send from printer to coputer email. Any hints. PJ
    Deafness.

If it is not broke, don't make it broker by trying to make it better. (This applies specifically to PJ)

Old guy

With my Brother MFC printer/scanner I can scan directly to my PC and then use any program I like to manipulate the image. I would expect you to be able to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppa John View Post
    Epson Multi WDF 4600 with OCR built in. I should try his first shouldnt I? I write/print with a 1.0 mm black biro on lined paper. I scan this to a USB stick & send email. I cannot send from printer to coputer email. Any hints. PJ
    Yes
    the scan needs to go through an OCR to convert it into txt
    Not all OCR is created equal, you'll need to double check afterwards .

You may need to correct some OCR errors , ie OCR misreads ones scribble and converts to the wrong word

Yeah, I'm not confident this will work well for you.
    A lot of OCR software looks for similarities in the text to a particular style of font, and handwriting is unlikely to be consistently close to any particular font.

Ages ago when I used to rely on OCR the resultant text would hop from one font style to another wherever the OCR thought a change in typeface had occured.

As an afterthought... what about using speech recognition software... you could dictate your notes instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppa John View Post
    I was wrong there is not an inbuilt OCR like I thought.. PJ
    Deafness.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul.Cov View Post
    Yeah, I'm not confident this will work well for you.
    A lot of OCR software looks for similarities in the text to a particular style of font, and handwriting is unlikely to be consistently close to any particular font.

Ages ago when I used to rely on OCR the resultant text would hop from one font style to another wherever the OCR thought a change in typeface had occured.

As an afterthought... what about using speech recognition software... you could dictate your notes instead.
    I have to get something to work. Up to now I have 5 printed pages , as in black pen on paper, block letters not joined hand writing. I have Googled OCR & I am afraid I don't understand them. I have tied speech to text some years ago I will try again with the W10 one. If not then I am going to have to print, scan, email. I see that W10 has a dictation program. Can I speak the words in there & send a verbal copy somehow. PJ
    Deafness.

morgenmuffel

The builtin speech recognition works well in windows 10, just say your words clearly, I dictated a short story i wrote to the computer an it came out ok, obviously a few fixes were needed here and there.
    To be honest the hardest part was reading my own writing out loud, as when i was reading it in my head my brain automatically filled in missing words etc.
    Morgenmuffel - This word needs to be a part of the english language, in fact you should use it in everyday conversation

If you have an android phone or iphone, there are plenty of speech to txt apps
    Philips , Olympus make dictation apps for phones that do: dictation to txt to email .