Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Mower - mulch or not mulch

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    We don't like mulchers. They don't throw it back in as well as they claim, and in any case, we compost.
    We do like the ones with the chipper though.
    treat or cover with mulch, I thought this was the idea of mulching!.

Looking for a replacement mower as well and thought of a mulching one for our sandy location.

And of course we have water restrictions here in ChCh, chlorinated water for months yet.

lurking.

This is the mower we need here.

Unfortunately budget won't stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurking View Post
    treat or cover with mulch, I thought this was the idea of mulching!.

And?
    We compost - that is, lawn clippings go in the compost pile along with leaves, kitchen scraps and so on and is left to become the nourishung dirt you use in your gardens.

Mulch is stuff you put on top of dirt to help suppress weeds and keep moisture in.

The best mulch is leaves, makes the soil lovely and crumbly.
    Lawn clippings used as mulch have a tendency to cook, which can be dodgy for the plants there, and they break down far too quick anyway, meanwhile you get a smelly slimy pile.

Mulch mowers, in theory, feed the lawn by blasting the clippings back into the lawn, but from what we have seen, they don't do it well, you end up trekking clippings all over, same as if you mowed without a catcher, albeit not quite so bad.
    Ex-pctek

And!, isn't that what the mulch mower does to the grass clippings, mower is set much higher then normal cut to cater for inserting the clippings.

Used to do the compost thingy, bins, plastic barrels and open ended bins. Even used to trench it all.

Don't like the idea of trudging the clippings inside as it's bad enough with the sand, mind you I do the luxing.

We live in a sandy suburb and need all the ground cover you can think of, 2011 earthquakes caused havoc with the grounds and level, so it's now lawn and trees (fruit) instead of garden and trees (fruit).

lurking.

They guys at a couple of mower repair shops said the do everything, with the mutch plug simply arnt as good (at mulching)
    My mower is a mulch only mower, so the inside of the body was specifically designed just to mulch.

Yes , it works really well and you would have to be fussy to notice the mulch on a well kept lawn

It works on very long grass . Sure it leaves a mess then because there is so much grass. You wouldnt be able to use a catcher on grass that long anyway (too much grass) so will be a mess whatever you used.
    it works on wet grass.
    Its not as tidy as a catcher mower, but still better than spitting clippings out the back & across the lawn

VoidMaster

My very old motor mower, 4 stroke, acts like a powerful vacuum cleaner, sucks up everything that is loose on the lawn and moves it to the catcher, I use it to get all the leaves off the pathways and pick up loose vegetation debris everywhere. You can see a cloud of small dust particles puffing out of the catcher, either side as it filters out the big bits.

Got it for free, the previous owner (daughter's ex) couldn't start it, it was old but that wasn't the problem, it has a priming pump which looks like a small jet engine nacelle, you are supposed to push the rubber nacelle 4 times to put extra petrol into the carb. To work properly there is a small hole in the nacelle which you cover when you push it but is an open hole when your finger is not on it. The hole was blocked with dirt, lol, easy fix.
    Last edited by zqwerty; 29-01-2019 at 10:19 AM.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Depends how big the lawn is. Myself, I brought a cheaper electric mower. Saves me buying petrol and oil. And it's quieter

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    They guys at a couple of mower repair shops said the do everything, with the mutch plug simply arnt as good (at mulching)
    My mower is a mulch only mower, so the inside of the body was specifically designed just to mulch.

Yes , it works really well and you would have to be fussy to notice the mulch on a well kept lawn

It works on very long grass . Sure it leaves a mess then because there is so much grass. You wouldnt be able to use a catcher on grass that long anyway (too much grass) so will be a mess whatever you used.
    it works on wet grass.
    Its not as tidy as a catcher mower, but still better than spitting clippings out the back & across the lawn
    What make and model?

Quote Originally Posted by Lurking View Post
    mind you I do the luxing.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lux.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	9325
    Ex-pctek