Thread: Typewriters

Default Typewriters

Hi All
    Are lightweight, small, electric typewriters made anymore? If so, Would they be ribbon or single inkjet? As far as I know ribbons don't exist anymore. An old lady at this rest home wants to be able to type directly to paper

I saw this. Microsoft Surface Go Signature Type Cover. KCS 00035 for$219. Is this for a keyboard only or is ther a screen on the back side? Yes she would have to plug into a printer. PJ
    Deafness.
    When I was younger I heard but didn't listen.
    Now I am older, I listen but cannot hear.

If it is not broke, don't make it broker by trying to make it better. (This applies specifically to PJ)

Default Re: Typewriters

That is a add-on keyboard for a tablet. It acts like a cover and then opens up for standard keyboard rather than using a onscreen keyboard - it is not a standalone keyboard.

Is it just familiarity that makes her want to use a typewriter? Has she tried using a laptop?

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    That is a add-on keyboard for a tablet. It acts like a cover and then opens up for standard keyboard rather than using a onscreen keyboard - it is not a standalone keyboard.

Is it just familiarity that makes her want to use a typewriter? Has she tried using a laptop?
    OK Thanks. Laptop!!!!!!!! not a snowflakes chance in hell. Modern technology is beyond her & most of the women in here. PJ
    Deafness.

If it is not broke, don't make it broker by trying to make it better. (This applies specifically to PJ)

I had one years ago , no ribbons available, I got hold of black ink & re-inked them myself. Messy job. I don't want to get involved.PJ
    Deafness.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppa John View Post
    Modern technology is beyond her & most of the women in here. PJ
    That's an attitude I came across a lot as a tech and proved wrong many times.
    It just requires patience and someone one on one sitting teaching them. Not taking over and doing stuff then handing it back, just sitting and letting them go, and explaining as they do....

Oldest one I taught was 92, never used one ever before...and learned well.
    Ex-pctek

Old dick-head

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    That's an attitude I came across a lot as a tech and proved wrong many times.
    It just requires patience and someone one on one sitting teaching them. Not taking over and doing stuff then handing it back, just sitting and letting them go, and explaining as they do....

Oldest one I taught was 92, never used one ever before...and learned well.
    Completely agree - I had a little old lady who reluctantly accepted an old PC and now she is into emailing, surfing everyday and loves Facebook.

Also, don't forget Skype for keeping an eye on out-of-town grandchildren.