Thread: Google Router

Default Google Router

A friend of mine says this Google Router is very good. Quite pricey, though.

Anyone here using it?

Default Re: Google Router

I dont personally have any but I do know someone who does. Sure they are basic to setup, as they do most of the work for you.

You still need to connect to your own Modem, but after that they are basically a wireless mesh when you have several of them, which means they all connect together to form complete coverage over the areas they are set to.

Just had a look at the link provided, ARE THEY FRIG-IN joking or what for ONE ??

Just this weekend gone I changed over my own Access point from the old 10 year one, doubled the coverage, running on PoE. A fraction of the cost.

SWMBO is now happy 100% signal strength and a lot faster.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

If youíre on ufb and not requiring vlan 10 I think these can be your internet connection and aps. Iím sure there was a 3 pack for about $600.

But for that kind of money I think the ubiquiti amplifi mesh is supposed to be a better buy....but if you can wire, get a few of the ubiquiti aps instead.

My friend says this Google router has very good and strong signal. Personally I have set up a ubquiti for another friend and I don't see much improvement over the Huawei 659B - freebie from Spark.

Wainuitech, what brand and make are you using now?

Quote Originally Posted by bk T View Post
    My friend says this Google router has very good and strong signal. Personally I have set up a ubquiti for another friend and I don't see much improvement over the Huawei 659B - freebie from Spark.

Wainuitech, what brand and make are you using now?
    I personally use the TP-Link gear, does the job and its not overly expensive.

The Access point I changed in the lounge was a old TP-Link, did the job but SWMBO keep complaining it was dropping the Internet often.

So while I was doing some renos a while back and had the walls exposed I ran another cable to the lounge through the ceiling instead of under the house, and installed a EAP110, Connected it Via the PoE and away it went One of these, nothing fancy, not to expensive, easy to set up, plus does the job.

Before with the old wireless it was lucky to get out the lounge, now its available in the back yard from the lounge.

Wireless is funny stuff, a lot depends on the layout of a house, the type of construction and insulation etc. Different people will get different results.

I think if I was going to install a Mesh setup , I'd actually go for the TP-Link Deco M5, not as expensive and they claim it out performs the google Mesh https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/...o-how-it-works

I'd actually celling mount them as well, up out the way fit and forget

The ubquiti gear is also good, but again more expensive, spose it boils down to do you want a fancy name that costs more or something that isn't as expensive and does the same job.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

No VLAN tagging on Google WiFi too, so it won't work with a bunch of NZ ISPs. If you want a good mesh setup, look at Ubiquiti Amplifi.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

a mesh system , sold as a single unit ....huh
    A bit like a car with 3 wheels

The Netgear Orbi or the Unifi Mesh are supposedly quite good.

The question is, what are you wanting to achieve ?