Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default New Mobo and CPU: Does existing W10 have to be reinstalled to HDD?

Hi.
    I have replaced dead Mobo and CPU with new hardware. Have W10x64 Pro v 1908 (or is that 1809??...the latest version I have) all installed with updates etc. As I am changing the Hardware I believe Windows I have is set to work off the now removed/dead hardware. Will my W10 Pro work or open, and will I have to buy a new License for the W10 I have to Validate it.
    Or do I have to start from scratch and install W10 x64 Pro v 1908 and gt all updates and instal all Software/Apps/Progs etc again?
    Thanks in advance.

I think I have to buy a new license to validate my W10 or new instal of it because the Mobo and CPU are not the same as the hardware that is recorded for the now dead hardware I removed.
    I do have an app that will 'migrate OS from 1 computer to another'...so if I have to buy anew license for W10 can i then Migrate the W10 OS from existing HDD to another to save my having to do all the Fresh installing and updating of everything?

kiotimak
    Last edited by kiotimak; 17-01-2019 at 01:28 PM.

Default Re: New Mobo and CPU: Does existing W10 have to be reinstalled to HDD?

Better if you do a clean install. If the CPU and mobo are different. Otherwise you can have probs. With the hardware / chipset, and the drivers.

If you install a hdd from another system

Depends if it's retail or OEM. If you used a MS online login you can use their activation troubleshooter and tell it that it's the same PC and it might reactivate.

Ideally you should do a clean install for best results, but a lot of the time you can actually get away with just booting up off the old hard drive and it will go. It is a risk in terms of left over drivers and accumulated crud but it often works pretty well. I swapped boot drives between two of my machines, swapped over the windows keys, and they noth kept on working just fine - similar hardware helps though.

Windows 10 works fine without activating in the worst case.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Gonzales View Post
    Better if you do a clean install. If the CPU and mobo are different. Otherwise you can have probs. With the hardware / chipset, and the drivers.

If you install a hdd from another system
    Hi Speedy
    Thanks.
    Dead HW was Gigabyte GA 78LMT S2P and an AMD Athlon II x4 630 2.8Ghz CPU. I have purchased used AMD Athlon II X4 635 Quad Core CPU + Asus M2N68 MB. I will try the cross fingers and hope the W10 I have opens and works.......while I do a fresh instal of W10 and all else to another HDD using the replacement HW. Be nice to know if the HW I am getting had been used to run W10. Will find out.
    Thanks.

kiotimak

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    Depends if it's retail or OEM. If you used a MS online login you can use their activation troubleshooter and tell it that it's the same PC and it might reactivate.

Ideally you should do a clean install for best results, but a lot of the time you can actually get away with just booting up off the old hard drive and it will go. It is a risk in terms of left over drivers and accumulated crud but it often works pretty well. I swapped boot drives between two of my machines, swapped over the windows keys, and they noth kept on working just fine - similar hardware helps though.

Windows 10 works fine without activating in the worst case.
    dugimoda
    Thanks, The W10 I have been using for 2-3 months prior to burnout of the HW I had, I downloaded using the W10 tool and got the ISO from MS. It was the earlier versions but I got the latest 1908 version from MS as well and used that.
    Yeah I have swapped HDD's from 1 com to anther and they worked and were validated. Will have to see what happens. I will most probably do a fresh instal of W10x64 Pro v1908 to a new HDD and get it all updated etc and then switch to using that. At the moment I wuld love to get away from using this old Campaq Presario 06 running W7 x86 Pro SP1 on an Intel P4 with 1GB DDR400 RAM and the Nvidia GeForce 6200 AGP Gard. My 22Mb/s Internet speed I am getting to use at a whopping 114.5kbps. Is very painful
    The replacement HW I got for $80.00 from TradeMe and I will be receiving it in the morning. Can't wait
    The 'new' HW is AMD Athlon II X4 635 Quad Core CPU + Asus M2N68 MB + 4GB DDR2 RAM.........replaced this: Gigabyte GA 78LMT S2P and an AMD Athlon II x4 630 2.8Ghz CPU and 8GB DDR3 RAM
    See how it turns out in the morrow.

Thanks
    kiotimak
    Last edited by kiotimak; 17-01-2019 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kiotimak View Post

I have replaced dead Mobo and CPU with new hardware. Have W10x64 Pro v 1908 (or is that 1809??...the latest version I have)
    OK, is that retail, OEM, via an upgrade from 7 or 8.1 ???

regardess , you will be forced to re-activate win10 no matter how you do this .
    The BEST way , is a clean install

Or, just use as is, then put in the time to make it work : boot issues, driver issues etc etc etc
    You may even need to run a 3rd party bootable CD to make Win bootable , especially if different CPU & chipsets
    Sometimes it just works , sometimes its a mess.

Often quicker to do a clean install

Quote Originally Posted by kiotimak View Post
    dugimoda

The 'new' HW is AMD Athlon II X4 635 Quad Core CPU + Asus M2N68 MB + 4GB DDR2 RAM........
    https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M2N68/3
    NVIDIA nForce 630a Chipset

nforce 630...God help you. You'll need it . Pretty sure you'll have issues with Win10 drivers
    Thats a VERY old board

If your comp had a linked Digital Licence it might be worth a try with troubleshooting though it looks like they have tightened things since the Anniversary update

This is the latest news on it https://www.groovypost.com/how-to-us...date-licenses/

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    OK, is that retail, OEM, via an upgrade from 7 or 8.1 ???

regardess , you will be forced to re-activate win10 no matter how you do this .
    The BEST way , is a clean install

Or, just use as is, then put in the time to make it work : boot issues, driver issues etc etc etc
    You may even need to run a 3rd party bootable CD to make Win bootable , especially if different CPU & chipsets
    Sometimes it just works , sometimes its a mess.

Often quicker to do a clean install
    hi. Wasn't from upgrade W7 to W10. was from ISO D'loaded using the W10 download tool. As I said in my reply to dugimodo. it validated because I already had W10 installed to the computer before. As for the M2N68 MB AND the AMD Athlon II X4 635 Quad Core CPU .yeah I know they are old...depends what one considers to be OLD. I am not one to be getting the latest offerings as soon as they arrive and the other 2 MB I had are as old as the Asus M2N68 and worked fine, so did the AMD Athlon II x4 630 2.8GHz CPU I have used since 2009/10. As I said it is just a cheap option I had to get a computer running that will get me off of using the OLD OLD OLD Compaq Presario 06 I have been using since my other Boards started developing problems in Dec last year. I had a long Thread about it all named Dead Computer: PSU or CPU. Well I bought two OLD Athlox2 240 CPU's and used them and they worked...til it all died again, and I threw in the towel on those two rigs simply because, with new CMOS Batteries installed a month before, when they stopped booting and I didn't get the all important 'Beep' after powering on the rigs as far as I was concerned, the chase is over. Them MB's are Dead! And the Athlon II x4 630 CPU. Brown bread=dead.
    Now Intel P4 and DDR400 is OLD as is the AGP Nvidia 6200 Graphics card I am currently using but it gets me here to ask questions and tell unbelievable stories of antiquated antediluvian computers that still function...of which I have a collection. I am on the hunt for the Babbage Engine...or Difference Engine #2
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
    If your comp had a linked Digital Licence it might be worth a try with troubleshooting though it looks like they have tightened things since the Anniversary update

This is the latest news on it https://www.groovypost.com/how-to-us...date-licenses/
    Lawrence
    hi and thanks for the link. I had a quick read thru it and will look into it more later. When I installed W10 Pro x64 v1908 about 2-3 months back I hadn't entered a product key and just did the option "You can still reinstall Windows 10 using a Windows 7 or Windows 8 product key or use the reset function. If prompted to enter a product key during setup, click I don’t have a key or Do this later." I don't have a product key, do later. And it was installed and activated on its own accord. Because I already had had W10 installed to the other 2 Mobo that used the one CPU ( the Athlon IIx4 630 2.8GHz CPU I took from the no-go Gigabyte GA-MA74GM S2 MB and installed it into the Gigabyte GA 78LMT S2P MB and run that with 8GB DDR3 1666 RAM...til it died not too long ago.
    I will see what happens tomorrow when I get the 'New' outadate HW I am awaiting with bated breath
    Thanks