Thread: Cloud Storage?

Default Cloud Storage?

I don't get cloud storage? I have a network drive I share with my 2 computers with a rj45 into my router. I don't store anything on the Internet. So I want to buy another network drive because mine is getter old but every time I see one they mention Cloud which has no meaning to me and really don't understand it. I wanted a WD Hard Drive that I can use as a network drive between my two computer and hook up the USB3 to one of my computers but to find out you can only input on the USB3 and can't use the USB3 as you would an external drive which make no since to me?

Default Re: Cloud Storage?

It sounds like you just want a NAS? Synology are great - assuming you want a 2 bay, have a look at a DS218j.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

"Cloud" is just a marketing buzzword. Even some NAS's mention Cloud in the marketing .

The bottom line is how much do you want to spend
    Also consider how you will backup your NAS , yes a NAS does need a backup.
    The better NAS's have a USB port, to attatch a USB drive for automated backups. Some NAS's can automatically backup to the cloud.

If you want cheapest, single drive , the WD NAS's are OK.
    https://www.wd.com/products/personal.../my-cloud.html

If you can pay a bit more, get a 2 drive NAS . Often you have to buy the internal drives separately & fit them

The cloud is just a name for the internet in general and refers to the way these type of networks are often drawn in diagrams - as a cloud with connections coming out at any point.

Cloud storage is just storage somewhere on the internet on a server. Services like dropbox, onedrive, google drive, are all cloud storage.

USB3 drives can be used as an external hard drive, not sure what you are meaning there.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by lostsoul62 View Post
    I don't get cloud storage? I have a network drive I share with my 2 computers with a rj45 into my router. I don't store anything on the Internet. So I want to buy another network drive because mine is getter old but every time I see one they mention Cloud which has no meaning to me and really don't understand it. I wanted a WD Hard Drive that I can use as a network drive between my two computer and hook up the USB3 to one of my computers but to find out you can only input on the USB3 and can't use the USB3 as you would an external drive which make no since to me?
    You don't have to use cloud storage but if you only have it on a local storage or PC and your house burns down it's all lost but if you have it stored online it will be there next time you run up a new PC. I use Google Drive and Dropbox to store my stuff on.
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company