Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry I have been banned from the Dell computer forum.

Recently I bought a Dell Inspiron 17 5000 Series -5770 Notebook with an 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7 Processor.
    It was shipped from Singapore. It had a UK keyboard which I had to change to a US - Engish keyboard.
    It was pre-loaded with Windows 10 Pro, plus all the standard Microsoft bloatware, added to that a swag of Dell bloatware.
    I wanted to use Linux as a main OS, and Windows 7 Ult 64bit as a 2nd OS.

Dell informed me that they didn't support Windows 7 on this computer, no drivers at all, and that the Guarantee would be cancelled if I changed the OS.
    I then reminded them that I had bought the computer, not leased it, so I have the right to change the OS to anything else. They then sent me a form for me to tell them just how marvellous their piece of junk was. I filled it in. Long silence ----.

In the meantime I installed Linux Mint 18.3, and Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, joined the Dell forum and told my story, also accused them of conspiring with Microsoft. I am now banned from the Dell forum permanently. They can get s*****d !

Default Re: I have been banned from the Dell computer forum.

Meh, personally I think both you and Dell were a bit over the top with your reactions.
    Where's the big deal to upset either side here? Your conspiracy theory is ridiculous and so is their reaction to it.
    Let's be realistic here, Windows 7 is over 9 years old now and extended support ends next January, why would any manufacturer waste time and effort writing drivers and making support available for that.

Of course manufacturers don't support every OS available and stop supporting older ones at some point, anything else is just ridiculous.
    And of course you can put whatever you want on it, just don't expect help from Dell if you have problems with software they don't support.

Most people use the laptops they buy as they are supplied, and that's the market they cater to.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    Meh, personally I think both you and Dell were a bit over the top with your reactions.
    Where's the big deal to upset either side here? Your conspiracy theory is ridiculous and so is their reaction to it.
    Let's be realistic here, Windows 7 is over 9 years old now and extended support ends next January, why would any manufacturer waste time and effort writing drivers and making support available for that.

Of course manufacturers don't support every OS available and stop supporting older ones at some point, anything else is just ridiculous.
    And of course you can put whatever you want on it, just don't expect help from Dell if you have problems with software they don't support.

Most people use the laptops they buy as they are supplied, and that's the market they cater to.
    Dell didn't have to produce drivers, they are all available if you look for them. As for W7 support from Microsoft, it doesn't need any, as for security there is nothing on my computer worth pinching. I have owned several Dells and they have all been good. This one is flimsy plastic passed off as aluminium. The palm rest gets too hot for comfort. In its favour the processor is fast, and it has keyboard back lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post

I personally would not recommend using Windows 7 any more anyway, especially on a newer PC where support for it is rapidly dwindling.
    "He who resorts to personal insults hath lost the argument."

Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by mzee View Post
    Dell informed me that they didn't support Windows 7 on this computer, , and that the Guarantee would be cancelled if I changed the OS.
    !

Um, software does not affect hardware.
    Warranties are for the hardware, not software.

And in any case CGA covers you if their is a fault with the machine.

As for drivers, you're on your own, you may or may not get some to work....I wouldn't bother dual booting it anyway...stick with Linux, plenty of support there.
    Ex-pctek

In the meantime I installed Linux Mint 18.3, and Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, joined the Dell forum and told my story, also accused them of conspiring with Microsoft. I am now banned from the Dell forum permanently. They can get s*****d !
    You may have a point here.

Long story short, a mate (who has been mentioned in dispatches previously) saw a “Never to be repeated Bargain” in a Whiteware outlet, and $500+ later he was off home with a brand new Acer Laptop.

Anyway, he has about as much time for Win10 as I have, so the first thing to do was unceremoniously dump Win10 and install Mint 19 Cinnamon.

The installation did not go well, and the Laptop wound up on my desk.

OK, I had read somewhere that some versions of Mint didn’t play nicely with UEFI mode in BIOS.

I go into BIOS and sure enough UEFI is set, so I change it to Legacy and up pops a notice that “Microsoft” recommends I use the UEFI setting. (or words to that effect) So the HDD has been formatted, but it seems Microsoft have installed Firmware somewhere on the computer, probably so they can monitor what you are doing.

Therefore, it would appear mzee that Microsoft has married both Dell and Acer and no doubt others.

Ohh, starting from scratch in Legacy Mode, and reinstalling Mint 19 fixed everything, and normal transmission has resumed.
    Last edited by B.M.; 13-01-2019 at 10:06 AM.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    You may have a point here.

Long story short, a mate (who has been mentioned in dispatches previously) saw a “Never to be repeated Bargain” in a Whiteware outlet, and $500+ later he was off home with a brand new Acer Laptop.

Anyway, he has about as much time for Win10 as I have, so the first thing to do was unceremoniously dump Win10 and install Mint 19 Cinnamon.

The installation did not go well, and the Laptop wound up on my desk.

OK, I had read somewhere that some versions of Mint didn’t play nicely with UEFI mode in BIOS.

I go into BIOS and sure enough UEFI is set, so I change it to Legacy and up pops a notice that “Microsoft” recommends I use the UEFI setting. (or words to that effect) So the HDD has been formatted, but it seems Microsoft have installed Firmware somewhere on the computer, probably so they can monitor what you are doing.

Therefore, it would appear mzee that Microsoft has married both Dell and Acer and no doubt others.

Ohh, starting from scratch in Legacy Mode, and reinstalling Mint 19 fixed everything, and normal transmission has resumed.
    Windows 10 is written into the BIOS on this Dell, and on my HP Stream notebook. I use Mint 18.3 as my main OS on the Dell, booted UEFI/GPT. I only use Windows for my websites which were created with Windows software. I also used Windows for Graphics, but am now mastering GIMP, a bit of a learning curve.

Intel/Microsoft state very clearly that Windows 7 is not guaranteed to work stably/reliably on an 8th gen or newer CPU, and finding drivers, particularly for laptops, can be very tricky/impossible depending on the hardware inside said machine. Dell are not conspiring with Microsoft.

Installing Windows 7 is not sensible anyway, as it's less than a year (a year today actually, I just checked haha) now until it's out of support. Just bite the bullet - Win10 is really not bad at all, and has a lot going for it over 7.

There are quite a few benefits of UEFI over Legacy for BIOS - which is why it is the recommended option. If Linux doesn't work well with EFI, that says more about them being behind the times than anything else.
    Last edited by wratterus; 14-01-2019 at 08:36 AM.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Dell have long had one of the worst reputations for helpdesk support . Why did you expect any better ?

Dell is one of the few big name brands who actually offered Linux as a home PC option (not sure if they still do)
    So obliviously Dell is in bed with MS , they offered Linux as a dirty trick to confuse home users with another OS, and put them off linux for life
    All tin foil hat stuff.

Win7 is as good as dead , time to get over it and move on.
    Win7 is end of life in 12months , and as above, its no longer 100% compatible with modern intel CPU's (you wont get Windows updates)

Windows 10 is written into the BIOS on this Dell, and on my HP Stream notebook.
    So, if Microsoft can take ownership of your Computer by installing Firmware and/or flashing the BIOS, what is to stop the Hackers doing likewise? The Ransomware Hackers spring to mind.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.