Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default WD Elements external HDD

I have two external HDD, the newer one is a WD Elements 1 Tb, which may have died. Last night before my weekly backup I decided to create the Acronis boot drive, which required the drive to be reformatted, this failed so I allowed it to carry on with the scheduled backup. This also failed, and now I cannot access the drive in the normal way. When I open Device manager via the control panel, this drive is listed, and claims that "This device is working properly". Now Acronis 2019 will not open. HELP!

Older by the minute

Default Re: WD Elements external HDD

Get into Disk Management and see if the HDD is listed, it may need to be initialized again or reformatted by Windows.

It isn't listed in disk management. Could it be that the lead has failed? It has USB 3 connection to the drive, and standard rectangular USB 2 plug to the computer and I don't have spare to test it.

Old guy

Quote Originally Posted by Brucem View Post
    It isn't listed in disk management. Could it be that the lead has failed? It has USB 3 connection to the drive, and standard rectangular USB 2 plug to the computer and I don't have spare to test it.
    It is quite possible that the lead is faulty and they are cheap enough to replace. It's certainly worth testing.

The lead or the board inside the drive enclosure, they fail a little more often than the actual drives I think.
    If all else fails you may be able to remove the drive and install it into your PC but I think WD may use encryption meaning you may not be able to read any existing data.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

On brand name USB HD's, its usually the actual HD that fails .
    Worth trying another USB cable , clutching at straws though.
    I dont think WD encrypt the internal drive, not the ones Ive seen anyway.
    Download the WD test tool & use that to diag it.

You may get lucky & its just a failed Acronos format . Try reformatting it if possible. Or use diskpart to 'clean' the drive first .
    Or It could be the failed format pushed a flacky HD over the edge .

Quote Originally Posted by Brucem View Post
    .... I decided to create the Acronis boot drive, which required the drive to be reformatted, this failed so I allowed it to carry on with the scheduled backup.
    Best idea with backups is to keep it simple . You didnt need the complication of making the backup drive bootable.
    Make a Acronis boot CD/USB instead

Anyway, with backup media : if in doubt, throw it out :-)

I tried a new cable to no effect. I downloaded the WD diagnostics file and scanned the drive. (about 3.25 hours!). It reported that the drive was "good". I renamed, and relettered the drive using Partition master, and formatted the drive. and now it is working apparently perfectly. I will use a pen drive as the boot drive.

Thanks to all for your help.

Unfortunately, my last post was mistaken, and although I had successfully done a backup, which shows in Partition master, as having a 40 Gb file on the disk, it won't seem to retain its drive letter ("W"), and therefore cannot be accessed. The only conclusion that I can come to is that there is something seriously wrong with the disk.

Old guy

Are you certain that it is not still there under a different drive letter?

Once again, this drive does not show in File explorer. In Partition master this disk (Disk 3) shows as being named "Backup two", but with no drive letter. In Partition master, change drive letter to "W", and File explorer finds it OK. I allowed it to do the scheduled backup last night, which was successful. and "W" was there with the backup ok. Restarting the computer returned me to not having Drive "W". It is not there under any other letter.