Default Windows File History Backup to VHD over LAN

I'm trying to setup the windows file history tool on PC "A" to use a virtual hard disk on PC "B". I can get it to work fine if I use a folder on a physical hard drive "B" but not with a virtual one.
    Does anyone know why the virtual drive would be treated any differently by windows on either machine once it's mounted? I can't find anything on Google that doesn't reference windows server.

My reason for wanting to do this is that the windows file history backup frequency options aren't able to limit the number of copies, only age or available disk space. I have "B" setup with an SSD as a boot drive and then the rest of the drives are in a "storage space" for redundancy purposes and I don't want the file copies to chew up all of the available space in the pool as realistically a maximum of say 3 copies would be plenty as I'll only do daily backups. So I'm hoping to trick windows by giving it a smaller VHD to work with.

Ideas? I'm not opposed to alternative software if there is a better solution that's fool proof. I very rarely remote access in to this PC as it's mostly used as a plex server and the occasional VM. Should add that both PC's run Win 10

Default Re: Windows File History Backup to VHD over LAN

I don't know the answer for that, but could you not also create a separate smaller storage space or partition and set the backup to use that?

I need to work on my backup strategy as well, had a few reminders from these threads lately.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

That's not a bad idea actually! Thanks

That worked great. I had to over provision the physical drive space to create the additional storage space but other than that I think it's a nice straight forward solution.

Going back to your original problem, replicated it perfectly on a VD.

To Solve the problem I had to create a Separate folder in the Virtual Drive, once that was shared, the File history on one machine could use the VD on the other machine over the LAN. Simply trying to use /share the virtual drive didn't want to know about it.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

I did try creating a folder as well and sharing that but no luck. I may have missed a permission. I also hid the share from the network just to stop accidental deletion etc so maybe hiding it was the cause of the issue on a VHD