Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Active@ help

Default Re: Active@ help

That gives me something to think about. Active@ is a good programme but it is playing games with me at present.

wainuitech. I have wiped my previous backups and trying again with Active@. Does this look normal for the backup?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Active@ new backup.PNG 
Views:	17 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	9289

Old guy

That is the normal screen you see when you select Disk to Image. Select what you want to backup there and click next.

Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    That is the normal screen you see when you select Disk to Image. Select what you want to backup there and click next.
    What is the Local Disk (2)?

Quote Originally Posted by Pato View Post
    What is the Local Disk (2)?
    looking at the picture, Disk 3 (E) looks like a external HDD/ back up drive

Disk 0 May be a Internal 1 TB Hard Drive ( storage etc)

Disk 1 Main Drive, the partitions in Disk 1 are fine, (2) is a recovery partition - look at its size its tiny.

To back up, you don't need to select Disk 0 unless you really want to back that up as well, ( theres not enough room anyway on the external HDD) just backup Disk 1, then when asked, disk 3 for the location
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Disk 3 (F) IS my backup drive. I thought I would have to backup my "E" drive as well as my "C" drive. So all I have to tick is Disk 1?

Disk 3 (F) IS my backup drive. I thought I would have to backup my "E" drive as well as my "C" drive. So all I have to tick is Disk 1?
    Yep, tick Disk 1, the partitions will automatically populate:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Select.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	9290

Next window it will ask where to back it up to, select disk 3

Just a very quick example, https://streamable.com/7yrdo my Disk 0 is the main drive, Disk 1 (E) is the internal storage, if I had of carried on it would have started to back up, you can also select a Folder if you have one on the backup drive, this is in case you want multiple backups ( different computers or dates).

I'd actually do it to a LAN storage on a server,wont include that as it will only be confusing

Thanks again. View log says backup successful. Hope I don't have the same problem when I try to do a Differential back at a later date. Can I use the Boot Disk I created when I first installed the program last year?

Thanks again. View log says backup successful. Hope I don't have the same problem when I try to do a Differential back at a later date. Can I use the Boot Disk I created when I first installed the program last year?
    If you use the same version as the backup then yes.

Personally I don't bother with Differential backs, its just as easy to manually run a FULL backup, keep both on your storages, then delete the oldest one every couple of months as its replaced.

When you download the trial with the disk creator it creates a so called 21 day trial, BUT it still works for months(years) afterwards. If you buy it then there's no prompt for trial usage.

Pays to use the same versions, meaning if you have version 9 of the Free, then use version 9 boot CD.

What you can do is download and install the free version ( doesn't expire) for doing backups etc, then download the trial Boot CD installer option at the same time, either create the CD, that way its the same version. There has been sometimes I got the CD's mixed up, and an image made with ( lets say V7) the V8 CD wont work with it.

Pays to try them out every so often after creating, all I do is throw in a spare HDD, ( after disconnecting the original) and drop the image back as long as it boots into the OS, data there = all good, then change the drives back.

I went into disk management and told my laptop to always use the assigned drive letter for my backup portable drive. I chose Z as its at the end of the alphabet and so doesn't affect any other drives that might be plugged in.