Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Active@ help

Default Active@ help

It is some time since I have looked at my Active@ backup and am a bit stuck on procedure. I did an Image backup some time ago and now want to do an Differential backup.

It asks for a File Name: (select a disk image which will serve as a base backup for this one)? Can someone jerk this old brain into action with some help please?

Default Re: Active@ help

Quote Originally Posted by Pato View Post
    It is some time since I have looked at my Active@ backup and am a bit stuck on procedure. I did an Image backup some time ago and now want to do an Differential backup.

It asks for a File Name: (select a disk image which will serve as a base backup for this one)? Can someone jerk this old brain into action with some help please?
    You need to point it in the right location as to where the previous backup is. What it needs to do is compare what was backed up previously to whats changed since.

If its been a while since you did a backup, wouldn't hurt to create a whole new one (complete). That's what I do when making backup images. I have regular daily and auto sync backups, as well as manually doing Active@ over the LAN once a month, then delete the previous version.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Thanks. I have the backup to an external hdd. I think I really need to now look for a backup system that does it all automatically for me.

Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by Pato View Post
    Thanks. I have the backup to an external hdd. I think I really need to now look for a backup system that does it all automatically for me.
    The problem with doing an automatic backup is the drive that has the backup needs to be connected to the PC/Laptop. When doing this its not good if something happens like a fire, theft, or hardware failure resulting in a power Surge, as these all will destroy the backups.

You really need the backups in a separate location.

Active Will do it fine, just have to get into the habit of doing regular backups. If you wanted to make images theres a very important factor -- CHECK / TEST they actually work. Seen MANY times people do backups and they go through the motions all looks well but on testing they have failed. AOMEI Backupper for example, just tried the latest version to clone a W10 - Total failure on rebooting the copy.

If you simply want to make a good image ( and test it) then do auto backups of data, one program that does do backups of files /folders or sync good is EaseUS EverySync https://www.easeus.com/file-sync/ Been using it for years, you can sync several ways, and its easy to check. Once set its forget about it. BUT my important files are backing up to a Server in another Location.

There are several other sync programs, some free some not.

Thanks for all you helpful advice. I appreciate the time you take to make these comments. Unless I do things on a regular basis these days I tend to forget the procedures.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    You need to point it in the right location as to where the previous backup is. What it needs to do is compare what was backed up previously to whats changed since.
    Still trying to get to grips with this. The location of my external hdd is F:\DiskImage\ but when I point it to this location is gives an " Error. "File F:\DiskImage\.adi does not exist" Where am I going wrong.?

Check the drive letter, and also manually have a look to make sure the files is where its meant to be.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Check the drive letter, and also manually have a look to make sure the files is where its meant to be.
    The drive letter is ok and the files are there but I am getting

Error. The backup you have selected contains a partition ("NTFS, 232.4GB, located at 1026048 sector) not found in the system"

I think I had better give in at this stage and delete backup files on my external hdd and start again as you suggested in #2.

USB Hard drives can later have a different assigned letter than initially , depending on what else is plugged in .
    eg, could be F: one day, and E: a week later. That can really screw up some backup systems

Just use the backup thats part of Win7, 8, 10
    It works really well , and can be scheduled . Use the option to create an image .
    Ideally , you want to remove the backup HD after the backup. If you forget to unplug the USB HD afterwards its not ideal, but still better than nothing

And always do a test restore on a few files every now and then, dont assume the backup is working just because it says so
    :-)