Unhappy PSA: please backup your data!

A friend's house just got broken into and he lost his laptop which had all his creative work which hadn't been backed up in months. He can buy a new laptop, he can earn more money, but he can't reproduce all his creative hard work.

I know most people already make regular backups but just a reminder in case you haven't for a while, I just keep hearing this story every now and then so it does still happen unfortunately. It's especially important for irreplaceable data like artwork and photos, I've been there and it was devastating but I learned my lesson and make multiple backups so I may never have to experience that dread ever again. Use the holidays to set aside some time for backups, a few minutes or hours can prevent a lot of grief for years to come

Default Re: PSA: please backup your data!

A Lot of the times, people have good intentions of doing backups, OR I'll do it later, to busy at the moment - Well Later never happens.

Sometimes they get a good scare and dont lose anything, other times its real bad news, ( Like this thread title) Its not hard to set important work to back up automatically to various sources, then if you want more options manually do it as well.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicx View Post
    A friend's house just got broken into and he lost his laptop which had all his creative work which hadn't been backed up in months.

You're preaching to the converted here.
    Alas, the general public take no notice and this advice has been given for at least 30 years now.
    Ex-pctek

Yes some people don't know that you should backup.
    And others are just too lazy to do it.
    I try to do mine once a week on a Sunday.

And you also need a backup set off site eg at a friends house.
    So what colour is your Adkaf?
    Have you joined Proud to Be Kiwi yet?

Getting people to do the most basic of backups seems nearly impossible these days. Even backing up to a USB stick is too hard.
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

Even many small/medium companies have a VERY lax attitude to backups.

Servers backup either not setup or never tested/monitored, staff storing docs on their PC's rather than the server, staff archiving email to their PC & not having a backup of archived email .
    Its all too common. Especially staffers saving important docs to the desktop .

Even more common is home users buying a USB Hard Drive and string everything (only) on that.....

Even some companies that should know better it seems, I like to watch Linus tech tips on youtube for reviews and the like and one of their videos is about how their server crashed and them going to a data recovery company to retrieve all the work they lost. This is a tech company that builds and reviews PCs & servers and things on youtube as a career and has terabytes of stored video footage for their content.

My own backup strategy needs work, convenience has trumped better practices. I keep everything on a NAS and use a real time sync program to keep a copy on a backup drive on my PC. The trouble is real time sync means any accidental deletions are replicated very quickly on the backup. I'm only really protected from drive failure which is not much different than using a RAID mirror, which as we all know is not a backup.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    I keep everything on a NAS and use a real time sync program to keep a copy on a backup drive on my PC. The trouble is real time sync means any accidental deletions are replicated very quickly on the backup. I'm only really protected from drive failure which is not much different than using a RAID mirror, which as we all know is not a backup.
    A sync IS NOT a backup.
    A power spike will blast the PC & the NAS , or a virus can easily infect both .
    Most NAS's have the option to schedule backup from NAS to a USB Hard Drive. Do that and remove that USB HD after backup is finished
    Or , the NAS may have a backup to Cloud option.

Meh, I know it's not perfect but it's also not critical. I've lost it all before and can't say I was happy about it but I can replace most of it over time. Also it's 8TB, not backing that up to the cloud.
    My photos and a few other things are already in the cloud and on the NAS and my music collection is stored in multiple places so what's left is stuff I can live without in a pinch. I have seriously considered just shifting to a mirrored NAS array and only backing up important things to the cloud.

The sync used to be a backup - before I switched to using QNAPS sync app I was just doing a scripted backup once a week but didn't like the interruption to my PC while it was running.
    One problem with a proper backup solution is I don't want to be plugging portable drives in and out, and having two NAs devices or a networked PC starts to get a bit over the top expensive just for home use.

I'm also being a bit lazy for convenience, the shared drives on the NAS don't reconnect properly at startup so anything that tries to access them doesn't work unless you open and close the drives first, saving things locally and having it sync to the NAS is a lot more reliable than the other way around (because the sync software finds the NAS regardless of what windows thinks) so I have 2 way sync enabled. There are work arounds, none of them particularly nice.

Power is not an issue really, last power spike I had was... well who knows but they are connected to a UPS anyway.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070