Older by the minute

Default GPT backup worries.

I have just purchased a second hand PC that has an ASUS Sabertooth P67 M/B, and unbeknown to me UEFI.

It came with WIN7 installed (most in Chinese) and I clean installed Win10 to replace it. Spent time loading programs and now have it where I like it.

I decided to create a backup and found that the HDD is in GPT mode and cannot be installed onto MBR media. It would seem that GPT is used for operating systems and unless the extra/external backup HDD hasn't been setup with an OS, you cannot use the disk as a backup - I am just guessing from what I have read and might be up the wrong tree.

However, is there a way that I can backup a GPT drive or should I go back to the legacy MBR and start all over again? Any reason why GPT backups may not be necessary?

Default Re: GPT backup worries.

Not sure what you mean by cannot be installed onto MBR media, how exactly does one "install" a backup onto another drive.

Just create a disk image either with windows inbuilt tools or a 3rd part tool like Aomei backupper and save it to an external drive, the kind of drive should not matter at all as long as it has a supported file system on it.
    If you want a functional backup that can be swapped into the PC physically then you need to use a blank drive and clone your existing one onto it, in that case you may have to convert the disk to be the same as your source if the software you use doesn't do it for you. Not many people backup this way though, an image is more common.

If you do create an image you would need a bootable disk available if you want to restore it, best to make that now as well rather than realising later you need one. Also bear in mind not all software works as well when you restore an image to a different sized hard drive. I mentioned Aomei as personally I've had good luck with it in several different scenarios although I used their partition assitant more than backupper myself - they overlap in functionality.

Something I like is Hirens boot CD https://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/ it has a lot of tools for recovering a dead PC and includes software for backing up and restoring hard drives.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Older by the minute

Thanks dugi. I used Aomei backupper to an external HDD. Seems to have worked absolutely correctly.

I recommend "Macrium Reflex" for backups. It will back up any format, or OS, in my case a mixture of Windows, and Linux, to any media so long as it isn't formatted Fat32 as it has a maximum file size of 4GB. NTFS is best. You can download a free version, or if you want to 'deploy' an OS to another PC (Universal restore) you can purchase the full edition. I used to use "Aomei", but it is only good for Windows, it can not image Linux. If you don't have any Linux it is fine. "active@" is another good one for Windows.