Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cpu Overclocking guide? (help)

Good evening everyone and happy holidays.
    Could i have the guidance of an experienced overclocker? becuase i'm new and i'm having all kind of problems.

Situation:
    I have a Intel core 2 Quad q6700 @2.66
    Now i know it's af but i have had some research and there are a tone of people that oc it at 3.6Ghz 3.8Ghz even 4.0Ghz. I don't want anything crazy i would be ok with 3.5 but i haven't overclocked a cpu before and i'm running into issues.
    I have it changed to 3100(that is= Fsb freq:310(manual) and Cpu ratio-multiplier 10(Auto)) but it's unstable causing me blue screens on the stress tests and from what i read this is due to stock voltage. I cannot change the Vcore voltage it doesn't allow me even though everything is set to manual. Before you think i'm crazy i have an aftermarket cooler and i've been watching the temps which are a little shy of 50C while stressed and based on Intel's sheet optimum temperature is 62C but i'm way below it that's why i believe it's a voltage issue.
    Can someone help me go through the overclocking process and find the optimum spot for my system?
    Thank you in advance for your time.

Default Re: Cpu Overclocking guide? (help)

There are many guides:

https://www.techradar.com/au/how-to/...ur-cpu-1306573

The "sweet spot" is trial and error.
    Ex-pctek

I am aware of these guides piroska i have tried to find a solution before posting this but it has the idial variables where nothing was locked and all of the settings where easy to access from their hardware, and that's why i created the thread it's more like q6700 issues than just a random how to overclock thread.
    As i said i don't have accees to the Voltages or my multipplier maxes out on 10 so i'm forced to play with the Fsb instead... The atricle is awesome no dought...
    This is more like a foroums how to solve problem rather than a guide

Sounds like your motherboard is not a good overclocker, you have to work within the limitations of what you have. Just keep backing it off until it's stable.
    The best results pretty much require you to be able to adjust the multiplier and voltage.

I ask this question a lot though, why overclock? what are you hoping to achieve? An overclocked Q6700 is still not going to be all that fast for modern software and if it's too slow at stock speeds for whatever you are doing it'll be marginal at best when overclocked.
    On top of that it'll still be an old chip on an old motherboard, not the best combination to be pushed hard. An i5 2400, one of the oldest, slowest, cheapest, i5s has about double the performance just as a reference.

Another comment, some people achieve those overclocks, and quite a few claim it, but I would suggest a "tone" of people don't get anywhere near 3.6 let alone 4.0 that is after all a massive overclock.
    I would expect if you have a very good motherboard, a good example of the chip, and a high end cooler, then you might expect to hit 3.6-4.0, but if any of those things is not true you will likely end up much slower.

I'm not an expert though, I've played around with overclocking and always stuck to safe modest speeds. I just found little to no benefit from it for me and decided to stick to stock speeds from now on.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Ok i've done some jugling and i've got results.
    First of all you are right @dugimodo sorry for not providing the info.... my motherboard is an: asus P5e.
    So about your question why overclocking? Well cause that's the sytem that i happen to have and it's running horribly but cool enough so i can stress it a bit to take some juice out of it.

All of the tests where performed by Prime95 ofcourse and where about 10-12 minutes long
    The results:
    I started stock: with Vcore:1.248V and 2.666Mgz (720k / 8k / 800k stress tests passed)
    Then: Vcore:1.248 and 2.930Mgz (720k / 8k / 800k stress tests passed)
    3.190Mhz and Vcore (1.248-1.3) (Not able to boot + BSOD)
    3.190Mgz and Vcore 1.32 (passed all three stress tests)but #3 core failed 9min in so
    Final results: 3.190Mgz and Vcore 1.33 (passed all three stress tests)
    My temps are maximum 63C and stable after a while at 54C

P.S: i know i can probably push it a little bit more but i don't really want to absuse it.
    Also the stock VCore by intel is supposed to be 1.275V but for some reason they have it set to 1.248V(or at least mine was like that by default)
    Just to clarify for the future i am no expert i was simply expirementing so my values may not work for everyone and all q6700s out there.

Good place for information here

https://www.overclockers.com/forums/

I have a p5BE using a E8400 (stock 3ghz) %100 fine at 3.9 ghz it can boot at 4.2 but ram is the issue. 10- 12 mins in prime 95 is nothing , you need to run it 24 hours to consider it "stable"

If you are just setting the FSB higher ram speed is probably the problem.

Also setup CPU Z on your desktop so you have easy access to what the cpu is running at ram speed etc.

Quote Originally Posted by apsattv View Post
    If you are just setting the FSB higher ram speed is probably the problem.
    Could you explain what you mean by that?
    Also I already have cpu-z and i was monitoring it the entire time, as for the time on the stress test time it really depends on the use of it mate, doesn't it? I am not testing a gaming rig that would run on max load for hours it's just an old pc that has a bit more juice to give it's never going to run anything that maxes the cpu out... especially for hours upon hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Kostas View Post
    it's just an old pc that has a bit more juice to give it's never going to run anything that maxes the cpu out... especially for hours upon hours.
    So overclocking it is actually pointless then?
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070