Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nudge

Default Looking for a Dual Sim Phone

Hi All,

Im looking to purchase a dual sim phone that will run dual spark sim cards.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers

Default Re: Looking for a Dual Sim Phone

My cynical suggestion is give up. Every Dual Sim phone I've tried has ended up having only one SIM operate on 3G/4G with full functionality with the other either being in standby or giving 2G/txt mode only - which is useless for Spark who have no 2G network any more. They also have not made this clear in the online specifications. Vodafone still supports 2G and has not given an end date but I think they are the only ones in NZ.

However it should be possible and there are a few phones that appear to do this, see if any of these appeal https://buymobile.co.nz/collections/dual-3g-sim. After 2 failures i stopped buying dual SIM phones so I haven't tried any.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Wanderer

Quote Originally Posted by nudge View Post
    Hi All,

Im looking to purchase a dual sim phone that will run dual spark sim cards.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers
    I am on my 2nd dual sim handset. It is true one is on standby. I have 2 or 3yr old Mi Phone, it has 1 slot for 4G and the other can be 3G. Some of the older phones if one was 4 or 3G the other has to be 2G.
    Saves me carrying 2 handsets. But sure you won't be able to go online or talk on both sims at that same time every time ...

If you need 2 internet plans, or 2 concurrent phonecalls at any time ... then get 2 different handsets.

Yes, some of the newer 2 or 3yr old phones can run at least 2 3G SIMs. Or 1x 4G and 1x 3G.
    Last edited by Nomad; 31-12-2018 at 10:05 AM.

Have a look on aliexpress.com
    I worked for everything I have. Most successful people have done the same thing.
    No, you aren't "entitled" to it. Too damn bad, Get it the way I did.
    WORK FOR IT.

Wanderer

PBTech has them in NZ if you want a NZ warranty etc .. for a parallel import product. Some of the Huawei 2 and 3 series like 2i and 2e etc... also do that, with a NZ warranty ie Noel Leeming etc. You need to double check with them if those are dual 3G.
    Last edited by Nomad; 31-12-2018 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    My cynical suggestion is give up. Every Dual Sim phone I've tried has ended up having only one SIM operate on 3G/4G with full functionality with the other either being in standby or giving 2G/txt mode only - which is useless for Spark who have no 2G network any more. They also have not made this clear in the online specifications. Vodafone still supports 2G and has not given an end date but I think they are the only ones in NZ.

However it should be possible and there are a few phones that appear to do this, see if any of these appeal https://buymobile.co.nz/collections/dual-3g-sim. After 2 failures i stopped buying dual SIM phones so I haven't tried any.
    I've been using duel SIM phones for some time. My current one has both 3G/4G active on one SIM and the second SIM live also with 3G / 4G but only for SMS and voice. You won't find many 2G only dual SIM phones sold here these days.
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

Not wishing to hijack this thread, but is it possible to have a phone with say a 2 Degree Sim for NZ and a Telstra Sim for when in Aus, with them both running at the same time on receive.

Put another way, if I have two different numbers and if someone rings my Aus (Telstra number) whilst I’m in NZ the call comes through and vice versa.

3G would be fine in both countries.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Wanderer

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    Not wishing to hijack this thread, but is it possible to have a phone with say a 2 Degree Sim for NZ and a Telstra Sim for when in Aus, with them both running at the same time on receive.

Put another way, if I have two different numbers and if someone rings my Aus (Telstra number) whilst I’m in NZ the call comes through and vice versa.

3G would be fine in both countries.
    Yes, that should work. You need active Telstra SIM card with roaming enabled and you would be paying the fees.

I have been overseas with a NZ SIM and a overseas SIM.

Re: 3G connection thru roaming. That depends on the roaming agreement between the 2 countries. Ie which telco's can you roam off and which connection works with it.

I brought one off Alixpress, but found out that it doesn't support 4G (with a Spark sim), when people call (it doesn't ring). But I can txt and call people on 4G.

But it works fine on 3G.

But it supports either dual sim or a sim and a memory card. It slots into the side of the phone

Haven't tried another sim (like vodafone etc yet ) to see if the 4G will work when people call

But wasn't really interested if 4G worked or not. Only brought it because it supports NFC (I can use it instead of my bankcard), Fingerprint ID and Face ID
    Last edited by Speedy Gonzales; 31-12-2018 at 02:11 PM.