Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Dead computer...PSU or Mobo???

OK went back and re read it, seems like you might have known that.

Anyway, it does not seem to me like you would be very likely to have 2 faulty motherboards unless something else was damaging them, like maybe the PSU.
    Also the fact that swapping a power connector brought it back to life temporarily when it should have done nothing is suspicious.

One thing that occurs to me though, when you are doing things like cleaning out the dust from the PSU you are disconnecting the mains power I would assume, it may be that the cold start from a total power down might be what is giving you short bursts of life, and something is possibly failing after running for a time.

Piroska generally seems to know more than I do so I hesitate to suggest it is actually the PSU, but it is a common factor here. Whatever the issue is, it has to be something that you are using in every case, like the RAM or CPU or PSU etc.
    Swapping out the motherboard and getting the same issue is a pretty good pointer that it's probably not that. (I say things like should and probably a lot, there's no way to safely diagnose things remotely really).

I would suggest maybe once you've tried swapping out whatever parts you have it might be time to take the parts in to someone to look at and test for you, otherwise you run the risk of buying replacements one at a time trying to find the cuplrit and wasting money on things that aren't faulty.

Also, from what I've seen the 2400G is an ok gaming choice even without a graphics card, seems to perform about the level of a GT 1030 which will get you older games at 1080P no problem and the latest AAA titles at maybe 720P or 1080 at very low settings.
    That's not as bad as it sounds, there are a lot of great games that are a year or 2 old that will play well. Having said all that if you are buying a graphics card then it's not the best choice, the 2600 is probably the best all round CPU for the price and only costs a few dollars more at the cost of needing a graphics card.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Try changing the power Supply, its not uncommon for a fault in he PSU to cause all sorts of problems, had many a PC do stupid things even after booting into windows, change the PSU and problem disappears.

Have to totally agree with dugimodo's post:
    Anyway, it does not seem to me like you would be very likely to have 2 faulty motherboards unless something else was damaging them, like maybe the PSU.
    Also the fact that swapping a power connector brought it back to life temporarily when it should have done nothing is suspicious.
    Also seen people blow perfectly good boards by plugging in a faulty PSU.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

You aren't running your power from a power board?,there may be a problem from the power strip

Try from direct from a 3 pin plug if a power strip is used as you have had problems with 3 if I have read right

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    Piroska generally seems to know more than I do so I hesitate to suggest it is actually the PSU, but it is a common factor here. .
    I skimmed it too...too big a paragraph...

Power usually doesn't let you boot at all, not boot and have a hissy with Windows. But who knows, you can get power failing if it's too low a wattage for whats connected.

But I reiterate - if you want to play games, don't stint on the graphics - buy last years high end car if budget is an issue - GPforms sale, Trademe or such, but don't skip it
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    I'll admit to only having skimmed so far, so apologies if I've missed important details.

Just a note about AMD - only the 2200G, 2400G, and the 200E (?not sure, new athlon model) have GPUS, for any other CPU you will need a graphics card. There is no onboard graphics on any motherboards it's in the CPUs
    Just one of your comments made it seem like you might not be aware of this.
    dugimodo...thanks. I am aware of what you say and I am beginning to regret I had never mentioned the getting of the AMD 2400G and all the rest I added about the Mobo I have and the RAM I getting etc etc..... because it took my thread completely off topic which was/is:... Dead Computer... PSU or Mobo???
    I'm dreading becoming target for Intel Fanboys and the thread becoming a battleground of AMD/Intel Diehards siting benchmarks etc etc for different i5/i7/i9 vs AMD hardware.
    I think I will suffer the slowness of this Presario and its ultra dead slow Internet speed I am getting from my DSL Broadband DL Speed of 18MBps. Dialup was faster on a 52k modem.
    I settled on getting the 2400G because it will suffice for what I want to do until I get a decent PCIe3 GPU. I have used my AMD Athlon II X4 630 2.8GHz for 8-9 years and its just fine when I run it with the EVGA Nvidia Ge Force GT710 1GB DDR3 GPU to play games I play..and it runs Sniper Elite 3 just fine......but that GPU will not run in the New Mobo I have as its PCIe3. Such is life

thanks for your comments. well appreciated
    Last edited by kiotimak; 30-12-2018 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Spelling corrections

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    I skimmed it too...too big a paragraph...

Power usually doesn't let you boot at all, not boot and have a hissy with Windows. But who knows, you can get power failing if it's too low a wattage for whats connected.

But I reiterate - if you want to play games, don't stint on the graphics - buy last years high end car if budget is an issue - GPforms sale, Trademe or such, but don't skip it
    cheers pctek, much appreciated. I know exactly what you mean and I will do the best I can incrementally
    yep the money's too tight to mention at the mo and has been for past 3 months because I am a pensioner and I am not getting my UK Pension on top of my NZ Pension because the Poms said I owed them about 50 quid from 20 year ago before I came back to NZ, so....the Wonderful NZ WINZ and Govt were NOT going to make up the 10 quid a week for 5 weeks while the Poms took the tenner from my UK Pension so the Kiwi's stopped getting my UK Pension paid directly to them and told me to get it paid to my Bank account (And pay Income tax to the Govt here ) and all the mail and phone numbers I get from UK give numbers (0800) that cannot be dialled from NZ and the email addresses go to 'Sorting offices' and take weeks to get to the Pension people there and they seem to 'lose' anything I send them.
    Consequently I am on a deficit of pension close on $200 a fortnight and I have AP's and Direct Debits to pay and life goes on
    Now that was certainly 'Off Topic!!'
    ps: the CoolerMaster PSU I have is 550Watt and had plenty to spare with what being asked of it.
    Last edited by kiotimak; 30-12-2018 at 03:20 PM.

Enterprise IT Consultant chiefnz's Avatar

Where are you located Kiotimak?

I have an Asus P8Z77VL-X mobo, Gen3 i7 (3770K) CPU, 16GB of DDR3 RAM and it has a Seidon 120 sealed CPU water-cooler.

It's yours gratis if you're interested.

PM me.

Cheers,

Asus PRIME Z370-P
    Intel Core i7-8700K
    CM MasterLiquid Lite CPU Water Cooler
    16GB DDR4 G-Skill Ripjaws V-Series
    Crucial 500GB SSD, 2 x 2TB WD Enterprise HDD
    eVGA GeForce GTX 970
    CM Centurion Case & 550W PSU
    Windows 10 Pro (v1809)

Quote Originally Posted by kiotimak View Post
    yep the money's too tight to mention at the mo
    ps: the CoolerMaster PSU I have is 550Watt .
    And we have always had 750w in gaming PCs.....even now mine does, although I'm not gaming anymore.

But really check out https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...rchy,4388.html

Buy last years...(or year before). raking is top row best, last row worst.
    Look for the best older card you can afford - used.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
    You aren't running your power from a power board?,there may be a problem from the power strip

Try from direct from a 3 pin plug if a power strip is used as you have had problems with 3 if I have read right
    hi Lawrence...yep I was using a 6 socket surge protected powerstrip for some things like TV/ Desklamp and 2-3 External USB3 4TB HDD Power supples and another 4 socket surge protected strip for PC/Monitor and Logitech Speaker system and sometime I would connect my Canon printer. I will try connecting the PC direct to a wall socket on its own. Its a bit late in the day to start putting the lot together again so I will do that tomorrow. I do have a 350W PSU here from a DELL PC I can try as well. Good thing about that is it has 2 Sata Power connectors and 4 Molex. My GA 78LMT mobo does not have an IDE cable connection socket so I can use the 2 Sata power connectors to connect HDD. That will be my test to see if the CoolerMaster has gone on the blink. Yeah its only 350W but with minimum HW connected it should get the Mobo/RAM and CPU running and hopefully get W10 open to desktop.
    The other mobo, the GA MA74MG-S2 has both IDE and 4 Sata 2 connectors so when I connect the Dell PSU to that I can connect either the Sata HDD with W7 OS and an Optic Dive, or use an IDE/Molex HDD I have a few of here and see if I can get it to instal W7 to a HDD. Testing out the Mobo and the AMD Athlon II x4 630 CPU to see how things transpire. Process of elimination.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I never considered the Power Strip board.

piroska
    cheers. I will have a look at the link you supplied a little later. I had considered a 650 or 750Watt PSU in my plans a few months ago re: the new rig I have been planning to build.primarily because I was thinking AMD Ryzen 5 2700X and a GT 1069 GPU and 16GB DDR4. I am planning to buy a new PSU when Next week and as I said I was keen on the EVGA 550W Gold 80 Modular.... the 750W was not that much more expensive than the 550W
    I will do some planning over the next 3 days and get some HW to get on the way with.
    cheers