Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unhappy Dead computer...PSU or Mobo???

Hi
    First I would like to say that this is a new PF1 account that I created the other day because for some reason unknown to me I could sign into my other account in name/user kiotii but I had no Permissions to Post Threads, reply to questions etc etc. Contact I attempted with Moderators and Email I sent to PF1 were never answered. So, I created this account and managed to get here
    I have a Real Stinker of a computer problem for past 3 weeks and as I couldn't get any info or Post threads here in PF1 its been a long winding road, to the apparent death of my computer, .2 mobo's.
    Here it is

Major players in the Problem
    Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P rev 4.0
    8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1866 (2x4GB Sticks)
    W10 Pro x64 v 1809

Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2 rev 4.0
    4GB Adata DDR2 800 (2x2GB Sticks)
    W7 Pro x64 SP1

AMD Athlon II x4 630 2.8GHz CPU
    CoolerMaster RS-550-PCAR-E3

CPU and PSU can be used with either Mobo

Problem now is no boot into windows on any mobo. No lights on keyboard/optical mouse/ CPU Heatsink cold/ Same with RAM and other Heatsinks.
    Over the past 3 weeks, prior to the complete 'death' I was geting these issues happening:
    When using the W10 system I wake and turn on computer and Black screen. Usually the computer runs 24/7 but I had turned it off the night before I got the Blackscreen.
    Fans spinning but nothing onscreen. Changed the 4pin power to mobo and used the second of the 2 from the PSU and I have life onscreen. That worked for a short time then nothing again....... the Power on/off ir Reset Button of tower case front do nothing so I had to turn off computer using the Power on/off switch on the PSU.
    So I removed the PSU, opened it and cleaned out 7 years of clogged dust. Did the same to Mobo and Fans/Heatsinks, and it brought the W10 system back to life.
    Then it died again so change the 4 pin plug and again raise it from dead.
    I thinking I have a PSU problem by this time...... or a Mobo prob....or both.
    Got the GA-MA74 mobo, removed the HSk and CPU from the 78LMT mobo and put it into the GA-MA74 mobo, connected the PSU/kboard/mouse Monitor and HDD to the Sata cables form PSU etc and got life...did this 'swapping' mobo thing for two weeks. I couldn't get onto PF1 to submit a thread as I explained earlier. So I was
    in a situation where I had to juggle and try to figure what/where the probs were/are.
    PSU/Mobo???????
    Then the penultimate thing to happen was the friday before Christmas I wake up and boot up the computer and have no internet...I had it before I shut down the computer and went to sleep.
    Info said No Networking Hardware....... so I changed Ethernet from onboard connector to the NIC and still same, I tried 3 diffrent modems I have and the one Cat 5 Ethernet cable and still the same, No Network connection, No Hardware.
    So I dig out an old Compaq Presario 06 running W7x86 on 1GB DDR1 Ram and boot that up and I have internet connection no prob at all.
    The killer of it to me was that I was getting the No Hardware message on the 2 differnt Gigabyte Mobo!!! Huh???? Dumbstruck.
    Tried Network Reset, Sys Restore was a no go because had no restore points to use! Vanished. Couldn't boot into SafeMode.
    Device Manager from the GA-78LMT systen said the Network controller had no driver and to get one, so I use the Presario to go online, find the Mobo and the drivers, DL it and instal it to the 78LMT system, go to find it and am told That I do not have any Networking Hardware after Dev Manager showed it and said it needs a driver!!
    More dumbstruck.....

Killer was Christmas eve......... no boot into W10 or W7..... changing the 4pin plug did nothing. So I am stuck to using the Compaq Presario for the time being.

I do have PSU from 200-300Watt I can use but am kinda loathe to try them in case its the Mobo faults that damaged the CoolerMaster or vice versa etc.
    So...PSU, Mobo or both are the problem, and have failed.

I was in the slow process of building a new system using DDR4 RAM and AMD Ryzen CPU and was tossing up to get the 6 or 8 core. I have decided now that I will get the Ryzen 5 2400G because it has
    Built in Graphics and I don't have to shell out $500+ for a decent GPU if I get the 6 or 8 Core. I am also going to buy a new PSU, probably the EVGA 550W Gold 80 Modular because I won't chance using the Coolermaster on the Gigabyte AB350M-D3H mobo I have, just to be safe.
    I have no test equipment or even a Multimeter to test the Coolermaster, so I stay safe. The CoolerMaster I have had for 9 years and for the past 4-5 years its been on 24/7...be lucky if its had a month rest in total over that 4-5years.

This is off topic but I mention it: a neighbour had a computer in her basement and she gave me use of it 3 days ago. It is a HP Compaq d330u (?) Opened the case and aired it out for a couple hours, booted it up and there was ye olde WXP 32 Bit.... smiled but it worked just fine. and was a bit faster than this Presario
    Only prob was there was no internet connection, and not having used XP for years I had to remember how to Create an Internet connection.
    Well I got into that Internet Options and created a New Always on Broadband connection, Entered ISP name and my user name/password and was informed the 'Server' isn't responding. Thought I do a reboot as that often 'fixes' these things after changes made
    And for the life of me, when it rebooted it was to a black screen!!! No lights on Kboard, Mouse but I knew the CPU etc was working because Heatsinks warmed up, Ram too etc etc... and HDD activity light blinking. Just no damn signal to Monitor!!!!!
    ArRRRRRRRrrrrrrrggGGGGGGGGggggggHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    fortunately this trusty Presaio 06 just keeps on rolling

Thanks in advance.

Kiotimak (kiotii)
    Last edited by kiotimak; 29-12-2018 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Spelling corrections

Default Re: Dead computer...PSU or Mobo???

Quote Originally Posted by kiotimak View Post
    Hi
    First I would like to say that this is a new PF1 account that I created the other day because for some reason unknown to me I could sign into my other account in name/user kiotii but I had no Permissions to Post Threads, reply to questions etc etc. Contact I attempted with Moderators and Email I sent to PF1 were never answered.
    Hi,

I've looked into your kiotii account and it says it is still "awaiting email confirmation". The account was created 14 March 2018, but had 0 posts. If you prefer the kiotii name, I can resend your email confirmation link - let me know. The email address it uses starts with 'b' ends in 'o' and is a gmail account.

Cheers,
    Jen

PS* good luck with your problem.

OK, you currently have three accounts. kioti (with the one i) - this is your correct account created in 2015 with >200 posts. If you cannot remember your password, use the "I forgot my password" option and an email will be sent to your gmail email address with the '257' in it.

I am removing your posts where you gave out your password for your other accounts and email addresses - please don't post stuff like that on a public forum.

Your other posts are not visible because they were auto-moderated with all the links you posted.
    Last edited by Jen; 29-12-2018 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    OK, you currently have three accounts. kioti (with the one i) - this is your correct account created in 2015 with >200 posts. If you cannot remember your password, use the "I forgot my password" option and an email will be sent to your gmail email address with the '257' in it.

I am removing your posts where you gave out your password for your other accounts and email addresses - please don't post stuff like that on a public forum.

Your other posts are not visible because they were auto-moderated with all the links you posted.
    Hi Jen
    Thanks for your reply. I won't repeat what I said before about email accounts being wiped out when my computer was hit by Gandcrab2 malware and my having to create new ones. Unfortunately the email address with 257 in it I cannot access either because it was one of those that said I had wrong password and to get a reset of pword it wanted to send and email to my recovery address which was the one starts with b and ends with o and that had the same pword as the 257 one and they were all wong. I cannot get into that 257 email account at all. I tried 2 pwords I would/could have used and then tried the try different method and the next one was "when did you create this account".... absurd question really. I created it 2-3-4- year ago!! so having used the options from gmail to get a reset sent to me I received a message saying that they need time to 'look into' my account etc. It asked for an email account for them to send me an email so I game them the one I use now, that is the email account i wrote in my last message to you. So, basically the kioti account is a no go until I hear back from Gmail (Google) and that can take an eternity to get response from them. I went through that when I lost access to all 5 of my email accounts..... I just kept getting asked to do things I couldn't do and email I sent to Gmail/Google were never responded to. Google is worse the Facebook when one writes a complaint to them. As far as I am concerned, imho they are nothing more than automated computer generated letters and there are no humans working there at all! And they dumped another 'Layer' of Security on us not too long ago in which we will be sent a 4 digit code sent to a 'mobile phone' (assuming we all have mobile phones!!!) before we can send an email etc etc ............. so much Security hoohaa now that its almost impossible to use the damn Google stuff unless one has photographic memory or a tome of Notepad pages with all details recorded so they can be referred to when one wants to send granny a Happy Day greeting!
    I digress, sorry.
    Ok so here is what I think, as I have no access to kioti in PF1 or the email addresses for my accounts pre the one I use now, I think maybe it is best to leave things as they are and I use my new kiotimak PF1 account.
    Re: my posting email addresses and pwords in the messages I sent you earlier, I only added them because I was of the opinion that anything I was sending in reply to your message to me in my thread were not visible to anyone but yourself, or other Mods who would read my messages and I considered the info I gave to be safe, because what I had sent you earlier was not showing in my Thread until it had been looked over by Mods or yourself is what I was informed. I would not give out my email addy's in a Forum because it is stated in the Sticky rules to not do so. Besides, it's common sense to not give out ones addys/pwords online in forums or Social Media etc. That is just begging for trouble to come ones way.
    So as said, I think it best to leave things as they are and I use my current working kiotimak PF1 account.
    Thanks.
    Garry
    Last edited by kiotimak; 30-12-2018 at 06:10 AM.

Jen, ps: re the loss of all my gmail accounts when I was hit by Gandcrab2, I mentioned earlier that it was 15 months ago and that was wrong, it must have been this year and it was about the time when I created the kiotii account, the one that you say a confirmation email was sent to me at the b.....o email account and that explains why I haven't clicked the link of confirmation of the account/email address I supplied when I created the kiotii PF1 account.
    Cheers
    Garry

Quote Originally Posted by kiotimak View Post

Problem now is no boot into windows on any mobo.
    So I removed the PSU, opened it and cleaned out 7 years of clogged dust. Did the same to Mobo and Fans/Heatsinks, and it brought the W10 system back to life.

I was in the slow process of building a new system

Built in Graphics and I don't have to shell out $500+ for a decent GPU if I get the 6 or 8 Core.

The fact that you can boot means it is not power.
    If you are building a new one, then why worry about it?

Getting a high end CPU does NOT mean it replaces GPU.

If you are into games, then you need a decent GPU, it's the single most important component for games. Whatever CPU you have will not help.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    The fact that you can boot means it is not power.
    If you are building a new one, then why worry about it?

Getting a high end CPU does NOT mean it replaces GPU.

If you are into games, then you need a decent GPU, it's the single most important component for games. Whatever CPU you have will not help.
    hi piroska. Yep I know about the High demands of games and GPU but its the pocketmoney at the mo. The AMD 2400G will cost me $250NZ, 16GB DDR4 G Skill or Corsair Vengence another 400+ at Mimimum and a PSU $160. Thats grand total $810. Yep I could buy the AMD 2600X for $360 and use the onboard graphics of the Gigabyte AB350M-D3H mobo I have. and buy 1 8GB DDR stick of Ram and the PSU I mentioned..... or try the 300W I have but that is useless because its only fitted with Molex connectors and all my HDD are Sata2/3... I don't have an NVME PCIe 22110 M.2 nor can I afford to get it if I have to get the CPU/RAM and PSU. I mean I could buy the AMD 2400G CPU, the EVGA PSU for $420 and try getting away with the 8GB Corsair Value Select RAM that costs $99 but I don't think it will supply the CPU with the fast Memory required to run it to its best because APU needs fast Ram.

I don't have another AM2+/ AM3 Mobo to drop my existing CPU into it and test the PSU I have. So as I said, its either Mobo or PSU is knackered, or both.
    Or, for $244 I can buy a laptop with 8GB RAM and quad core (I think it was) from Staples and be up and running for a while til i get the DDR4 Rig up and running..... like with the awaited Zen 2 thats on its way next year. Yeah, I would love a 1080 GPU but man those things are for the wealthy or people with Amex Platinum cards!! Initially a few months back I would be happy with the outa date 1050 or 1060 at a much-buck less than the Latest offerings! I went through all that when I was doing Photography back here in NZ in the years 75-77 and it was all the 'Gotta have the Latest on the shelf Nikon F2 Photomic Head or Canon A1 etc etc......
    Yeah it 'boots' but it doesn't boot into windows and now it boots into nothing. CPU not firing up, Fans running isn't booting
    So its either PSU or Mobo or Both. Unless the CPU has decided to kick the bucket....as well.
    Last edited by kiotimak; 30-12-2018 at 10:50 AM.

I have a DDR 4/ Ryzen Capable Mobo and all it needs is a CPU and Ram......and possibly a PSU. As you said "If you are building a new one, then why worry about it?" answer is simple.... I trying to get what I have working and thats come full stop, so now its the $$$$$$ rule the decisions.

or I could grab this ex-lease for $113 and hang back til Jan/feb to continue the DDR4 Rig I'm planning to build
    https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/EXW...-OFF-LEASE-Int

I'll admit to only having skimmed so far, so apologies if I've missed important details.

Just a note about AMD - only the 2200G, 2400G, and the 200E (?not sure, new athlon model) have GPUS, for any other CPU you will need a graphics card. There is no onboard graphics on any motherboards it's in the CPUs
    Just one of your comments made it seem like you might not be aware of this.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070