Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Log On Password Change Win 8.1

I recently removed a windows 8 password the owners had forgotten and set a new one and I'm an amateur, I'm not sure your friend has had the best of help honestly. Also windows 8 and 10 are really very similar so anyone who can use 8.1 can learn to use 10 if they give it a decent try.
    Hell you could have just reinstalled 8.1 if you were going to blow it away and install MINT anyway. Kinda like fixing an ant problem with explosives, but it works. I had second thoughts about posting how to remove the password on a public forum and removed that info, but it's not hard to find.

But MINT is ok too and I understand your preference for it. Have they been installing software or updates? that always seems to be how I manage to screw up linux myself. I set the update options for the safest one now.
    Since they've gone Linux MINT the easiest thing of all is just boot off a live install disk and see if that is stable, should tell you if it's hardware or software. You can also hold down shift on boot up to access the grub boot loader and do a memory test from there.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    I recently removed a windows 8 password the owners had forgotten and set a new one and I'm an amateur, I'm not sure your friend has had the best of help honestly.
    Well it should be easy, but if you go back to my lead post you will see from the screenshot that the service was unavailable after the attack, and was, I'm told, still unavailable after upgrading to Win10, which suggests to me some type of firmware.

Anyway, we're running Mint now and I wonder if I've stumbled across the freezing problem.

I'll post a screenshot later, but it appears as though the chap that installed Mint put it on a 20GB partition and it is running out of space, as I noticed there was only 1GB of space left whilst fiddling. The actual drive is 500GB.

Looks like a job for Gparted ,or something, and I'm not at all familiar with this area.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Well it should be easy, but if you go back to my lead post you will see from the screenshot that the service was unavailable after the attack, and was, I'm told, still unavailable after upgrading to Win10, which suggests to me some type of firmware.
    Obviously not thought through very well

If W8 was upgraded to Windows 10, what makes you think that all of a sudden system files that were locked would be unlocked ?? Obviously the person doing it has no idea how upgrades work. Which kind of confirms the comment relating to a software writer /Web designer is not a service tech and vise-versa .

If there are settings or problems with a OS, upgrading the same OS simply carries over the majority of problems.

The previous posts all state upgraded, NOT drive wiped and installed Fresh, which would explain the small Linux partition following.

Looking at the information, its quite clear someone didn't know what they are really doing If a drive was wiped fully then the capacity of the 500GB would be shown. When installing Linux you have the option to completely wipe all partitions ( use the whole drive) or leave the current or alter their sizing to your requirements.

Sounds like a bit of a mess really.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 28-01-2019 at 08:27 AM.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Maybe they wanted to leave the windows file system intact so as not to wipe anything?

Gparted is fairly straight forward, only thing that wasn't immediately obvious to me is that it doesn't do anything until you apply the changes. What I mean is, you resize a partition, the display changes to show you what the result will be, but nothing has happened yet. You have to click apply.
    It's part of the live install disk too, so you can boot off that and make your changes rather than risk a freeze in the installed copy of Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    If W8 was upgraded to Windows 10, what makes you think that all of a sudden system files that were locked would be unlocked ?? Obviously the person doing it has no idea how upgrades work.
    Struth, I thought System Files would have been replaced and am trying to imagine a computer that has been upgraded all the way through from Win95.

Anyway, back to the present problem.

Here is a Screenshot of the delinquent computers file system;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gparted2.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	9322

And here is one of mine:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GParted Mine.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	9323

So, the question is, "How do I reorganise the partitions on the mates computer so he has full use of the available disk space?"
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Might have to wait for someone more up with linux, that's not obvious to me. You have less partitions than usual and he has more. It's possible one is mounted and /home which should be where linux stores stuff but It's beyond me.
    You could just drag the left side of the big partition to the right to make some space then enlarge the 20 Gb one but it really depends what linux is using those two partitions for and I can't tell.

Just had a look at my Linux, its the same as yours B.M.

By the looks of it, somehow when the other one was installed its gone tits up with a couple of extras, OR it was manually partitioned to a smaller size.

You should be able to resize the partitions, BUT you'll have to shrink the larger, prob move the small 48MB to allow the smaller to increase.

Might also be easier to wipe the drive and do it correctly

Struth, I thought System Files would have been replaced and am trying to imagine a computer that has been upgraded all the way through from Win95.
    Always been that way, same for other OS's. That's why its always been said its better to install fresh than upgrade, as a fresh install removes all the crap, corrupted or left behind files .
    Last edited by wainuitech; 28-01-2019 at 12:39 PM.

Yes this looks like quite a challenge.

So what I think I might do is backup all his personal files, (We’re only looking at about 16GB) and then have a go at moving and adjusting partitions.

Be a learning curve as it’s an area where I haven’t been.

I’d just like to avoid having to reinstall other programmes if at all possible.

So hold the line.

Moving the partitions you may very well need to boot from a gparted cd /usb drive, when I tried to replicate the setup, the inbuilt didn't want to know about it.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 28-01-2019 at 02:16 PM.

Yep I have a Gparted CD that's bootable and THINK I have backed up everything?????????

I'll go and get some beer out of the beer fridge and see what happens.

Any final instructions.