Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Log On Password Change Win 8.1

Ok, a mate of mine has been showered with E-Mail messages that some some dick has his password and control of his computer and promises dire happenings if 727 bitcoins isnít paid to him straight away. Yes I know, weíve heard it all before, but my mate is nearly 80, completely Computer illiterate, and is having a panic attack.

Anyway, he asked me to change his password so I tried via TeamViewer but get this message.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	password.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	9261

Any thoughts anyone on what is happening?

The message came up all day yesterday as well as this morning which concerns me.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Default Re: Log On Password Change Win 8.1

Assume you can actually get into his Computer to Options (Control Panel etc). Sometimes if you can run system Restore you can wind the computer backwards to before the problem happened.

Is this a email type password or local ?

NOTE: you may have to talk the guy through this before reconnecting via Team Viewer.

Even if you cant log in fully, try activating the hidden admin account, that shouldn't be effected, so you can sort out problem from that ( including system restore) -- Heres how enable-windows-built-in-administrator-account/

A LOT depends on whats been changed.

Either way it will need a good look and malware scans run to make sure its not infected.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Thanks for that Wainui.

The password we want to change is the Computer Login at start-up.

Yes, he’s already changed his E-Mail Password with the help of Kinect (Trustpower) but he can’t get his head around the fact that by not changing the E-Mail address he can still receive mail from this prick.

Yes, I found my way to the “press to change password Button” but clicking there is what produced the Screenshot in my lead post.

This prick does have the mates password, almost, but not quite, as he quotes it and advises he has stopped it being changed which appears may be the case.

I was thinking that I may get the mate to forward me one of these E-Mails and I’ll pick it up on a spare Linux computer via webmail and see if I there is anything I need to know and haven’t been told.

At the moment I am dealing with a very pissed off Scotsman who is a little hard to understand.

Some of you will relate to that problem.

Oh, is there a Malware programme you can recommend. He has, and does run Malwarebytes weekly.
    Last edited by B.M.; 27-12-2018 at 11:32 AM.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

If your mate is OK with this -- YOU log into his email online, change the password yourself to something he wants, if you are locked out online then go through the reset /forgotten options, most will require to have a code sent out to either a Pre-entered Cell number (so make sure your mate has the phone) OR a second recovery email address. ( one your mat will have created) There my alao be security questions that need to be answered ( only he will know them, so you will have to be talking to him in person or on the phone.

Once its changed then you should be able to log in.

Antimalware -- Been using https://windows-repair-toolbox.com/ Download link is near the bottom, unzip, malware tab, run through Zemana, HitmanPro, Adware Cleaner, these scan will take a while, then in the absence of a real AV, on the Left, click on Emsisoft, run a full scan once its downloaded and open and updated. Note: that scan WILL take a fair amount of time.

If settings have been locked out / changed then system Restore may be an option, really depends on whats happened.

Its almost impossible sometimes to really see whats going on even if its explained on here (goodly - No such word I know),sometimes ya just have to have the PC in front of you. Other times I take drives out and fix them to workable on a workshop PC, THEN carry on in the original hardware (computer)

Might have to leave this for a day or two.

The mate has decided that a bottle of Single Malt alongside a bottle of Glayva will solve the problem. (Rusty Nailís)

His finest Scottish accent now sounds more like him talking underwater with a mouthful of marbles.

And whatever Bitcoins are has become irrelevent.

I think Iíll pour myself another G&T to ease the stress.

Make sure under NO CIRCUMSTANCES he tries to pay anything.

No disrespect meant but if he needs to get a tech to sort it then it will be a hell of a lot cheaper, at the moment 727 Bitcoins = 4062344.74 NZD Dollar.

1 BTC = $5587.82 NZD

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BTC.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	9267

local password or log in with MS account? There are two different things and many means available if the drive was not encrypted.

This is an old scam, I had about 4 of those in my spam folder from 6 months or more ago that I found recently and can confirm nothing bad happens when you ignore them - because I didn't even receive them myself.
    What happened is someone did get hold of a lot of email addresses and passwords some time back and is using it to scare people into paying, usually by claiming to have video of you watching adult videos.

It does mean the password needs changing if you are still using it, but other than that it's just noise.

As to why you can't change the password via teamviewer, I don't know the answer to that one. Unless it's the same login name and password as in the email though there is really no issue here.
    For me I'd already changed that password ages ago, because if I recall my ISP (spark) sent out an Email to all their customers advising it after a security breach - possibly the same one that triggered this scam.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

This isnít getting any better.

The mate had a relative come to stay a few days who just so happens to be a Software Writer and Web Designer. Needless to say he got delegated to attend to the subject Computer. Well, he couldnít change the Password either, so the Mate was talked into upgrading from Win 8.1 to Win 10.

Interestingly, he still couldnít change the Password and Win10 was far to complicated for the Mate so naturally I suggested Mint, they accepted the offer, and the Mrs delivered my Mint 18 disk.
    (I kept my head down and left them to it)

Anyway, all went well and there was joy all around.

However, the damn thing has started Freezing and the Power Button is the only way out. If that isnít bad enough, the relative is now in Wellington and Iím left holding the baby.

Heís bringing the delinquent computer around this afternoon, which in turn will probably lead to a serious assault on my liquor cabinet.

What is causing the problem, I havenít a clue, but find it odd that it ran fine for three or four days and then the problem started.

Will overheating cause the Computer to freeze or does that shut the machine down?

Happy days.

Win10 was far to complicated
    Dont know why people say that, its NOT.

For the majority of users Windows 10 is close enough to Windows 7 and far more easier than W8-8.1. Had several people when at my place having a play say " I see you're still using Windows 7" -- NOPE its W10, and I have to prove it to them.

The mate had a relative come to stay a few days who just so happens to be a Software Writer and Web Designer.
    phfttt That means nothing really. Just like I cant write software, BUT when it comes to fixing Computers I'd leave the web Designer in the dust. Regarding the password, obviously doesn't have the knowledge /skills to remove or sort the problems. They are easy to bypass and alter if you have the right software or Knowledge Example: I was at a place a couple of weeks ago doing some work on workstations, someone had changed the Server password and no one knew what it was, the boss was not to happy, asked if I could change it, booted from one of the many CD's I carry, changed it in a matter of minutes. ( didn't need to know the original)

Think of it like this, There's Linux, Windows and iOS, all operating systems yet all totally different. What you can do in one doesn't mean you can do in the other.

Regarding the freezing on Mint -- Could be faulty hardware someplace, could be drivers. There's only two problems when it comes to Computers Either Software or hardware, OR in some cases three -- The User

If its hardware,there's only one real way to sort, and that's do tests on everything one component at a time. I'd start with a memory test then HDD, eliminate one at a time,Assuming its hardware change the faulty component.

Over heating can cause problems but usually if a computer over heats to high the safety cuts in and shuts it down, not allowing it to start again until its cooled enough. If its shut down due to heat it wont start right away, you'll have to wait, about 5-10 minutes.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 27-01-2019 at 02:09 PM.