Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Correct my English!
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Cycling somewhere
    Posts
    6,292

    Default English grammar - remind me this...

    Hi all,

    Let's say if I want to refer to an event that happened yesterday:

    "At 11am yesterday, I said I am in Auckland doing a bit of shopping"

    vs

    "At 11am yesterday, I said I was in Auckland doing a bit of shopping"

    Which is correct of the two?

    [Edit] - Is there an exception where it is the opposite? e.g. if you say the second statement is correct, is there a time where the first statement is actually more valid?

    Thank you

    Free, 24/7 telephone health advice service | Healthline - 0800 611 116

    Smoking KILLS. Don't let your life be ruled by cigarettes. | Quitline - 0800 778 778 ‎

    Join the unofficial PressF1 WCG team!



  2. #2
    amateur expert dugimodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    8,131

    Default Re: English grammar - remind me this...

    You'd need quotation marks around the phrase to indicate that it was what you said yesterday in the first sentence. The second one is correct as a description of what you did as it is.
    That's my take on it, both are correct depending on whether you want to convey the actual words or not. I'm far from the expert though.

    So "At 11am yesterday, I said "I am in Auckland doing a bit of shopping""
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

  3. #3
    Correct my English!
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Cycling somewhere
    Posts
    6,292

    Default Re: English grammar - remind me this...

    Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    You'd need quotation marks around the phrase to indicate that it was what you said yesterday in the first sentence. The second one is correct as a description of what you did as it is.
    That's my take on it, both are correct depending on whether you want to convey the actual words or not. I'm far from the expert though.

    So "At 11am yesterday, I said "I am in Auckland doing a bit of shopping""
    Thank you. If I were to say it as if I am recounting an event that took place yesterday, "At 11am yesterday, I said I was in Auckland doing a bit of shopping" would be correct.

    ---

    How about this:

    "While out shopping yesterday, I had an ice cream from Baskin Robbins; you know, the one where it was featured in an advertisement with a famous rugby star"

    vs

    "While out shopping yesterday, I had an ice cream from Baskin Robbins; you know, the one where it is featured in an advertisement with a famous rugby star"

    Free, 24/7 telephone health advice service | Healthline - 0800 611 116

    Smoking KILLS. Don't let your life be ruled by cigarettes. | Quitline - 0800 778 778 ‎

    Join the unofficial PressF1 WCG team!



  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: English grammar - remind me this...

    Quote Originally Posted by Renmoo View Post
    Thank you. If I were to say it as if I am recounting an event that took place yesterday, "At 11am yesterday, I said I was in Auckland doing a bit of shopping" would be correct.

    From the point of view of grammar rules (theory), the second variant is indeed a correct one, because the Past Simple should be chosen due to the sequence of tenses rule.
    Quote Originally Posted by Renmoo View Post

    How about this:

    "While out shopping yesterday, I had an ice cream from Baskin Robbins; you know, the one where it was featured in an advertisement with a famous rugby star"

    vs

    "While out shopping yesterday, I had an ice cream from Baskin Robbins; you know, the one where it is featured in an advertisement with a famous rugby star"
    As for these - I agree with CliveM, it depends on the context and logic - was may also imply that the ad doesn't exist anymore.

  5. #5
    Retired old codger kenj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Nhapier
    Posts
    5,794

    Default Re: English grammar - remind me this...

    Any Christmas bargains?

    Ken

    (Only kidding James )

  6. #6
    Member Marnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Tauranga
    Posts
    1,540

    Default Re: English grammar - remind me this...

    I agree with dugimodo. This is a case where punctuation (quotation marks) can change the meaning. The first statement is valid if you are explaining what you said to the person on the day of the event.

    The English language ....she is a b******

    ps...I don't know why the gender should even come into it.

  7. #7
    Wrinkly Member! B.M.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Mount Maunganui
    Posts
    8,189

    Default Re: English grammar - remind me this...

    Seek help, anybody that was “Cycling Somewhere” and wound up in “Auckland” doing some “Christmas Shopping”, needs all the help they can get.

    You weren’t wearing "Lycra" by some chance when this tragedy occurred?
    Global Warming is Mann made.

    Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.
    .
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

  8. #8
    Member Marnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Tauranga
    Posts
    1,540

    Default Re: English grammar - remind me this...

    Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    Seek help, anybody that was “Cycling Somewhere” and wound up in “Auckland” doing some “Christmas Shopping”, needs all the help they can get.

    You weren’t wearing "Lycra" by some chance when this tragedy occurred?
    I don't think he is a MAMIL.

  9. #9
    Soaring like an Eagle gary67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    In a field in Hanmer
    Posts
    14,926

    Default Re: English grammar - remind me this...

    Quote Originally Posted by Marnie View Post
    I don't think he is a MAMIL.
    Who BM? Now that would be funny. BM the closet MAMIL makes sense as to why he is always harping on about Lycra bet he has a wardrobe full of Lycra stuff

  10. #10
    Old guy
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,954

    Default Re: English grammar - remind me this...

    Either could be correct. "Was" indicates that the add was seen in the past. "Is" indicates that the add is still currently being seen.

Similar Threads

  1. English grammar in computer courses.
    By Nomad in forum PC World Chat
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 25-02-2010, 06:12 PM
  2. Please someone remind me...
    By doccock in forum PressF1
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24-05-2003, 06:21 PM
  3. Remind.exe on start up
    By in forum PressF1
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-05-2002, 11:57 PM
  4. remind.exe on start up
    By in forum PressF1
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26-05-2002, 12:40 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-08-2001, 04:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •