Question Windows fast boot locking all NTFS partitions

I am using Linux Mint & W10, dual booted. I use a Data partition to share between Mint & W10.
    If I enable Fast Boot on W10 the Data partition is locked, and Mint can't mount it. I have now converted the Data partition to Fat32, and it is now accessible to Mint. This is fine, excepting that Fat32 can not handle files larger than 4GB. Does anyone know of a way to stop Fast Boot locking NTFS partitions?

Default Re: Windows fast boot locking all NTFS partitions

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Gonzales View Post
    It doesn't only lock the Windows partition, it locks all NTFS partitions (the arrogance of MS). Works fine without Fast Boot enabled, but takes longer to boot W10.
    Fat32 does not store permissions etc, so is not effected by Fast Boot and is fully accessible to Linux & W10. This means that W10 (C ptn) remains locked which is good, as Linux is very willing to demolish Windows system files!

Older by the minute

Can you change the Data partition to exFat instead of Fat32. That way it can see files bigger than 4GB.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Can you change the Data partition to exFat instead of Fat32. That way it can see files bigger than 4GB.
    Good idea Bryan, but exFat is under strict control by Microsoft. It is blanked out in Partedit, and several others. I don't know if Linux will read it.

Quote Originally Posted by mzee View Post
    I don't know if Linux will read it.
    THIS might help?
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    THIS might help?
    I have tried exFAT, it can be used with Mac OS, and Windows, and apparently by Mint. I created an exFAT partition with Windows using AOMEI Partition assist, but couldn't mount it in Mint even after installing the software shown in your attachment, I will try some more. I could of course store the files of more than 4GB elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by mzee View Post
    I have tried exFAT, it can be used with Mac OS, and Windows, and apparently by Mint. I created an exFAT partition with Windows using AOMEI Partition assist, but couldn't mount it in Mint even after installing the software shown in your attachment, I will try some more. I could of course store the files of more than 4GB elsewhere.
    I tried it again. This time all my ext4 partitions were wiped, and only NTFS & exFAT remained. I booted Mint on a USB stick, and still couldn't find ant ext4 partitions, could see the exFAt but couldn't mount it.
    I will just keep fast boot disabled, and leave the DATA partition as NTFS. I use Macrium Reflex fo backups, does Windows & Linux.

exFAT should work on Linux but you will need the right software. Unfortunately, my Mint machine is offline so I can't ssh into it to check if these files exist, but for manjaro I needed:

exfat-utils
    fuse-exfat
    util-linux

The problem with fast boot is that it creates a hibernation file that has the state of your Windows computer of when it had shutdown. So any changes you do in Linux to that drive, could literally prevent Windows from booting at all so it will only ever mount it in read-only mode unless you disable it in windows or you mount it in linux with the option to remove the hibernation file but it's at your own risk, although it's been safe for me considering I never shutdown without closing everything anyways.