Birkenhead, North Shore, AK (amongst the bush)

Default Why as searches, even "Advanced Searches" on PressF1, so restrictive ...and a pain!!

Twice today, I have done searches on PressF1. In the first I have searched 'free make gif (gifs)' and then later 'echo dot'. In both instances, my searches got no response, apart from the comment that my words were too common and too short. However, I challenge that ......... the words I used for a search, including 'gif' and 'echo', are not common, though, they are indeed, short. The shortfall is demonstrated by the fact, that even adding words did not produce more of a result.

We all get complacent, me included, but I think that the webmasters of PressF1 need to review and look at the algorithms more closely and less restrictively. JMTCW
    Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 (marvellous)
    Lightroom 6
    Nik Collection
    Sumatra for PDF
    Speccy
    AZZ Cardfile

Default Re: Why as searches, even "Advanced Searches" on PressF1, so restrictive ...and a pai

The search is great, the results not so much. (It's Friday, just ask Mary to see if the cleaners have unplugged the server to use their vacuum cleaner again ~ you'll have to search that one.)
    Entropy is not what
    it used to be.

pcsourcepoint

Default Re: Why as searches, even "Advanced Searches" on PressF1, so restrictive ...and a pai

The best advanced search operators are....Google. Specifically the domain/site search operator. It will find anything, unless if blocked by firewall, paywall, or meta tagged coded as no index (i.e. unsearchable - which I think has happened).

So use Google's useful site search operator like this for finding GIF results in press F1. You can then further refine by added more operators or by clicking settings or tools on the RH side. But using this approach might require entering captcha's, or Google temporary locking you out if too many or fast action advanced subsequent searches.
    Last edited by kahawai chaser; 15-12-2018 at 06:57 PM.
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)|I Student NZ (My Student Resoucre Tips)

The character and certain words limit is to prevent searches that may cause site performance issues. You can add a * to the end of your word and that usually works. As mentioned, using Google search engines on the site works best.

Birkenhead, North Shore, AK (amongst the bush)

Many thanks kahawai chaser and Jen - my understanding and how to do searches better is much improved!
    Affinity Photo 1.7.1.404 (marvellous)
    Lightroom 6
    Nik Collection
    Sumatra for PDF
    Speccy
    AZZ Cardfile