Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

Default Re: Monday Laughs - please contribute

All auto manufacturers are under the AFofL/CIO -- even the Japanese ones.

................ or: The American Federation of Labor and Congress of Industrial Organizations is the largest federation of unions in the United States. It is made up of fifty-five national and international unions, together representing more than 12 million active and retired workers.

Ever see the movie: "Gung-Ho"? Seriously funny.

"Life" is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1103.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	111.8 KB 
ID:	9227
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Quote Originally Posted by SurferJoe46 View Post

TOYOTA makes 4 billion in profits while GM racks up 9 billion in losses.

General Motors said Thursday it had net profit of $1.1 billion for the first quarter of 2018.

The Detroit automaker's pretax profit of $2.6 billion was a decline of $944 million from the same period a year ago. Overall revenue of $36.1 billion was a decline of 3.1% from the same period in 2017.

The company noted that it took a pretax charge of $942 million from restructuring at its money-losing South Korea operations. GM plans to close a plant at Gunsan in May, but also reached agreement this week with union workers and is finalizing a deal with other stakeholders, which has staved off a bankruptcy threat.

Toyota Motor Corp (7203.T) expects a weaker yen to lift net profit to a record high this year, offsetting sluggishness in the United States, the automaker’s biggest market where it has been grappling with lower sales and steeper discounting.

March to 2.4 trillion yen ($22.02 billion), up from previous forecasts of 1.95 trillion yen and 2.0 trillion yen respectively.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    General Motors said Thursday it had net profit of $1.1 billion for the first quarter of 2018.

The Detroit automaker's pretax profit of $2.6 billion was a decline of $944 million from the same period a year ago. Overall revenue of $36.1 billion was a decline of 3.1% from the same period in 2017.

The company noted that it took a pretax charge of $942 million from restructuring at its money-losing South Korea operations. GM plans to close a plant at Gunsan in May, but also reached agreement this week with union workers and is finalizing a deal with other stakeholders, which has staved off a bankruptcy threat.

Toyota Motor Corp (7203.T) expects a weaker yen to lift net profit to a record high this year, offsetting sluggishness in the United States, the automaker’s biggest market where it has been grappling with lower sales and steeper discounting.

March to 2.4 trillion yen ($22.02 billion), up from previous forecasts of 1.95 trillion yen and 2.0 trillion yen respectively.

Ummmm ... what are we laughing about actually?
    I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    See, Trump fulfills his promises.

We just got told that if you think the GM cutbacks were heavy, just wait for the FORD cutbacks! It promises to be a real bloodbath.

Quote Originally Posted by SurferJoe46 View Post
    We just got told that if you think the GM cutbacks were heavy, just wait for the FORD cutbacks! It promises to be a real bloodbath.
    Its about time neither has made a decent reliable vehicle for years if ever. And yes I'm driving a Ford.

C'mon, Gary!

I've been a retired mechanic for just a little over 50 years wrenching and yet I still drive 2 Chevies and an Isuzu - which really is a bedmate package from GM and Toyota/Honda.

Name:	k-5-chevy-blazer_111439511_o.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	9232

Hellfire! - I became owner of those vehicles before I retired even - I forgot about that until my proofreading.

Lessee --- The '86 K5 I got in 1995 with a blown engine and transmission for very little coin --> the '89 Isuzu in @1999 for a disputed paycheck (I won) and the 2000 Astro in 2002 for $10K cash - so they've been around for a while!

All are well over 250,000 miles - the Isuzu over 386K really, and they just keep on going and going.

Name:	IMG_20130512_192629.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	9228

They all start at sub-zero Fahrenheit, never overheat - mostly have original engines -

However, the K5 has a stroked crank with 5.7" length shotblasted rods on a 400 CI crankshaft raising the cubes from 350 to 377 cubic inches, with Jahns Eutectic pistons (I don't like them) and a Crane cam and lifters and I would not build another engine like this again since the monetary output doesn't equal the performance I feel.

Name:	upload_-1(12).jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	9230

But really it is quite robust and I'm not nice to it either! It tows 10K lbs over freeways at 80MPH, in/on snow and dirt roads and I bash it into snow banks ---> well not so much in Montana where we really don't get snow like we got in California!

Name:	upload_-1(10).jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	9229

They don't burn oil, although the K5 has a small oil leak at the distributor base that's gonna have to wait until warmer days.....

I've never packed a wheel bearing on any of my vehicles nor rotate tires and I've never replaced a brake drum or rotor.

I have the original water pump on my K5 - at least the pump that came on it in 1995- but it still has the same serpentine belt on it for all that time too!

The Astro needed a pump and the Isuzu pump is original. I however took the cooling fan off the water pump shaft and installed an Open Kadet electric fan and a Honda coolant temperature sensor to fire a 12 Volt relay for it to run at a minimum temperature of 225F.

I've replaced the fuel pump and injectors on the Astro - at around 220K miles - so that's a good run for the money. The Blazer needed a new electric fuel pump about 7 years ago. Done and done.

The Astro has a small hydraulic leak on the Hydro-Boost accumulator - but it's so small that it only takes less than an ounce of fluid every year.

I drove a 1982 Pontiac Grand Prix 9 passenger 5.7 Diesel station wagon towing a 38 foot RV trailer and a full compliment of family (wife + 4, then 5 kids) for 486K miles and I have always gotten reliable transportation out of everything I own.

Even my 1956 Case VAC/VAH tractor starts instantly at sub-zero temperatures and runs steadily to retrieve wood on a small trailer from my riks and delivers them to my front porch on pretty much a daily exercise.

Name:	shared_photo.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	9231

I've always been a GM fan - but also always relying on Ford and Chrysler and the Euro Boxes --- (Fiat, Opel, Triumph, BMW, VW, M-Benz, Audi and all their illegitimate spawn from France and Italy) --- to keep my bank account healthy.

Another bunch of GMs (and a foreign job or two) that I wish I still had:

1959 Corvair w/Spyder supercharged 235 Horsepower engine w/Rochester WCFB-2 4bbl carb and close ratio 4 speed transmission

1959 Hillman Husky - stock - no, really!

1958 Corvette w/ 301 dual-quads on a Man-E-Fre Crossover custom manifold, 4-speed, Hays 3800 lb clutch, Scheiffer aluminum flywheel, Doug Thorley headers and glasspacks.

1976 Triumph TR4-A (I think the year is right - I hated this car!)

1959 Cadillac Sedan de Ville - STOCK and pretty!

1963 Cadillac Coupé de Ville - replaced transmission and the WHOLE exhaust system ($$$$$) Beautiful car!

1965 Corvette Stingray - factory Rochester fuel injected, dual factory exhaust, 4-speed

1965 VW Fiber-Trends Dune Buggy conversion 1800cc stroker w/Chevy 6-cylinder rods (on backwards), Jahns 11:1 Thermalite pistons and dual Webers!

1973 Chevy El Camino with 350, factory 4 speed, Duntov 30/30 cam and lifters, dual exhaust, PosiTraction 3.86:12, power brakes, power steering - NO AC, No electric windows/doors - had a fiberglass topper and buckets and British Racing Green - I have a pix somewhere - I'll look later tomorrow.

1982 Pontiac Bonneville Safari Diesel station wagon (I have a pix, but the limit here is 5 pix per post - sorry)

1959 Chevy 210 (salesman's stripped model) with a 301 (bored a 283 Chevy small block 0.125" oversized, 13:1 compression ratio, Chet Herbert cam and lifters, Pontiac 11.2" Posi differential, Dual Quads on a Weiand log manifold and Hedman headers to 4 inch collectors and dual to rear wheel cut-outs.

1950 Ford (prolly the ONLY Ford I've ever owned) Tudor, flathead V8 that was cracked from the factory and used oil and coolant at about the same rate.

1936 Cord - that I only owned for about a day before a guy beat me with money to buy it. I sold.

1956 Packard Patrician with automatic frame greasing system that was plugged up. Nice car though.

1953 Chevy Tudor with a transplanted 302 Chevy and headers with a Hydramatic racing 4-speed stick-shifted automatic transmission

1935 Chevy Opera Coupé with the same engine/transmission combo like the '53 above (^). I like 302s and Chet Herbert roller cams!

There were a bunch of motorcycles -

The best of them all was my Kawasaki KZ-650. A very fast street rod and powerful road racer.

I owned a couple of Harleys - a 45 K Model Trike, and a Sportster the AMF-version (junk),

a BSA 440 Victor,

a BSA Gold Star 500,

a Vincent Black Shadow - 500 CCs I think. Sold for a LOT OF MONEY!!!!!!!

a Triumph Trident, as fast as you poured the oil in, it hit the ground.

a Yamaha YDS2 350 cc, UN-godly unstable at 125 MPH - a real tank-slapper!

a Suzuki X6 Hustler - very fast for it's day!

a Norton 750 Commando - another junk bike

a Puch - just a dirt bike

a Jawa - another dirt bike

an Ossa (She's A Bear! advertisement slogan) - a broken-all-the-time dirt bike

and ONE airplane - in which I had 1/2 share:

a 1977 Cessna Cardinal. Don't ask. It's a sore spot with me yet.

Oops! Looks like I hijacked this post too. Sorry! I thught it was a different topic. Again,,,, sorry!

Since it's already tomorow, I'm gonna take my shower and go to bed. Good night all!
    Last edited by SurferJoe46; 10-12-2018 at 09:34 PM.

I'm still going but she's starting to smoke a bit.

Name:	Speeds Special.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	9233

Name:	Speeds Special2.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	9234