Angry windows 7 Pro. is playing up,

machine is on a go slow, over the past 2 weeks its been getting slower & slower, got to the stage were I click on anything & I've got to wait 3-4-5 minutes before i get a response. I'm at a loss as to what I can do. funnily enough I haven't had a problem with writing this, for whatever reason??????+
    Please help. & thank you in advance.

Default Re: windows 7 Pro. is playing up,

Do you have a hard drive or a SSD in this computer?

If it's a hard drive, check your SMART data. Wouldn't be surprised if it may be on the way out. Speedfan can do this, download from here.

http://www.almico.com/speedfan452.exe
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

The portable Crystaldisk Info will also read the Drives SMART. https://portableapps.com/apps/utilit...kinfo_portable

When you open the folder and run it, it takes a few moments to start/Show the results.

When it reads the SMART
    Blue=Good Yellow= Failing Red= Get the data off NOW its about to die

BUT the Drives can read as good, but still be causing the problems, its only what The SMART reports.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    The portable Crystaldisk Info will also read the Drives SMART. https://portableapps.com/apps/utilit...kinfo_portable

When you open the folder and run it, it takes a few moments to start/Show the results.

When it reads the SMART
    Blue=Good Yellow= Failing Red= Get the data off NOW its about to die

BUT the Drives can read as good, but still be causing the problems, its only what The SMART reports.
    glenbuc76.. sorry to hop into you thread but this might be of benefit to you. I have 3 Hard Drives connected to my PC , a C Drive and 2x 4Terabyte Expansion Drives. although the C Drive is fast to boot into Win10Pro x64 v1809 and there is no sluggishness, I attach 3 pics of the 3 Hard Drives so that you can see what wainuitech advised you do from the link that he gave for you to get Crystaldisk and check your hard drive/s. My C Drive is RED as!!! The two externals are sound as a pound. So I figure I have to get my C Drive with W10 and all installed Win Updates/Progs/apps data/files/pics etc etc backed as a Full System Backup and get it onto a new HDDrive asap.
    Nice app, wainuitech and I am sure the speedfan app that wratterus suggested will do the the same job.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XTAL DISK READ  C DRIVE..jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	9199Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XTAL DISK READ  SEAGATE EXT.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	9200Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XTAL DISK READ  WEST DIG EXT.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	9201
    Last edited by kioti; 30-11-2018 at 07:25 AM.

Crystal disk info reads the Hard drives SMART, so if the SMART is saying its bad, then generally its actually worse Those pictures kioti are really good examples esp the RED one.

The Reallocated sectors means
    When the hard drive finds a read/write/verification error, it marks this sector as "reallocated" and transfers data to a special reserved area (spare area)
    Most people when I show or tell them they have failing sectors on the Drive and that's usually the cause of the problems, Slowness etc, I normally get a vacant look

(This takes longer to write than to actually say/explain)

The easy way I explain it is like this: Think of your hard Drive as a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle, each piece is a sector, your data, as well as the operating system is written in many sectors.
    When a sector starts to go bad your computer will sometimes notice its starting, move the data to another sector and mark the failing ones as bad/ reallocated, so as not to use them again.
    BUT sometimes it happens that the data in those sectors is lost, so now remove several pieces of the jigsaw puzzle, you have empty spots, and your your computer is struggling, playing up (or wont boot) because sections of the program(s) are missing.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Some drives go really really slow when then start to fail.
    So slow, the PC is pretty much unusable, yet will pass every test you throw at it.

Buy an SSD, its a great investment regardless

less likely but also look at :
    Ive also seen MS's 'telemetry' on Win7 go bad causing serious intermittent slowdowns (trawling through the entire drive) . Could also be an app or program in the background
    gone rogue & constantly accessing the HD .
    Look in scheduled tasks.
    Make sure its not trying to do AV scans or backups when its running slow

Might be worth bringing up task manager to see if anything is using a lot of CPU/RAM/HDD resources. If it is you can kill the process from task manager and see if the PC speeds back up.
    Software bloat can cause slowdowns, but not normally as bad as you describe.

Also just to prove the rest of your hardware is ok if it seems like it's the hard drive as suggested above you could use a Linux install disk to boot into a live version of Linux and just test how responsive it is (probably very).
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Crystal disk info reads the Hard drives SMART, so if the SMART is saying its bad, then generally its actually worse Those pictures kioti are really good examples esp the RED one.

The Reallocated sectors means Most people when I show or tell them they have failing sectors on the Drive and that's usually the cause of the problems, Slowness etc, I normally get a vacant look

(This takes longer to write than to actually say/explain)

The easy way I explain it is like this: Think of your hard Drive as a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle, each piece is a sector, your data, as well as the operating system is written in many sectors.
    When a sector starts to go bad your computer will sometimes notice its starting, move the data to another sector and mark the failing ones as bad/ reallocated, so as not to use them again.
    BUT sometimes it happens that the data in those sectors is lost, so now remove several pieces of the jigsaw puzzle, you have empty spots, and your your computer is struggling, playing up (or wont boot) because sections of the program(s) are missing.
    wainuitech

Thanks for the explanation about Reallocated sectors and the Jigsaw puzzle analogy.

Garry McVay

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    Some drives go really really slow when then start to fail.
    So slow, the PC is pretty much unusable, yet will pass every test you throw at it.

Buy an SSD, its a great investment regardless

less likely but also look at :
    Ive also seen MS's 'telemetry' on Win7 go bad causing serious intermittent slowdowns (trawling through the entire drive) . Could also be an app or program in the background
    gone rogue & constantly accessing the HD .
    Look in scheduled tasks.
    Make sure its not trying to do AV scans or backups when its running slow

Good information. I have been considering buying a 1TB or 2TB Seagate Firebrand for my computer. Will look into that next week.

Garry McVay

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    Might be worth bringing up task manager to see if anything is using a lot of CPU/RAM/HDD resources. If it is you can kill the process from task manager and see if the PC speeds back up.
    Software bloat can cause slowdowns, but not normally as bad as you describe.

Also just to prove the rest of your hardware is ok if it seems like it's the hard drive as suggested above you could use a Linux install disk to boot into a live version of Linux and just test how responsive it is (probably very).
    dugimoda
    good info and thanks. I hope glenbuc76 is getting the suggested info's and applying them.

Garry McVay