Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Old guy

Default Less than Honest TV Reporting

TV One news last night had a heartbreaking story about sick old PI lady who is evidently forced to live in a mouldy state house because the evil government will not provide her a new one.
    I do have some sympathy for the old lady however it was quite obvious that if her obese daughter was to spend less time eating and more time on basic housework the problem would be largely mitigated.
    What really annoyed me was that the mould covered wall shown in the clip was not in that house and not even in this country.
    The power sockets on the wall were not of NZ standard type but were U.S.A. type ones.

Default Re: Less than Honest TV Reporting

Agreed.

Usual pandering to minority bullsh1t that this country is obssessed with.

Hey the news media in NZ lives or dies on who can get the most sensationalist story as breaking news at 6.00pm.
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

Mould results from moisture and poor ventilation. Some people just need to learn to open some windows and avoid things that put moisture in the air. The design of some houses does make it difficult to keep them dry though.

My house used to get very damp on both end walls in the two larger bedrooms, I started having mould issues in the bedrooms. Opening a window daily made a big difference, but after that I did make quite a lot of changes to the house too.

Ditched the gas heater
    Put a fan in the bathroom to vent the steam
    Put a rangehood in the kitchen
    vented the dryer to the outside
    Got A/C installed
    Got double glazing

I've gone from the whole wall, window, and sometimes the ceiling being wet to the touch on a cold morning to about an inch or two of condensation on the bottom of the windows on some of the colder mornings. In winter if I keep my bedroom sealed up for too many days in a row the condensation gets noticeably worse.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    TV One news last night had a heartbreaking story about sick old PI lady who is evidently forced to live in a mouldy state house because the evil government will not provide her a new one.
    I do have some sympathy for the old lady however it was quite obvious that if her obese daughter was to spend less time eating and more time on basic housework the problem would be largely mitigated.
    What really annoyed me was that the mould covered wall shown in the clip was not in that house and not even in this country.
    The power sockets on the wall were not of NZ standard type but were U.S.A. type ones.
    I pick up my school run kids in general from lower socio-economic areas. You can tell the Housing NZ places ...long grass, weeds everywhere, lots of boarded up windows and piles of rubbish. Not all, but a fair %. Must be really frustrating for the other residents who either own or rent privately in the area.

Lots of empty sections where they pulled down ALL of the 2 stories homes. The reason they say is earthquake risk. Absolute crap!!!

Ken
    Corgi Ben Kenobi.......Related by Corgi to the Queen

VoidMaster

One thing the earthquakes taught us in Christchurch is that wooden houses fare so much better than brick ones in earthquakes.

Any structures made of high density materials having a resultant high inertia, coupled with low flexibility results in damaged buildings, a good illustration of this is concrete tile roofs mounted on wooden supports. The large inertia of the total roof structure damages the rest of the building supports whatever they are made of.

So corrugated iron roofed buildings made of wood do very well in all but the strongest earthquakes.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

If its bad rising damp or leaky, 24/7 cleaning wont help .
    Govt will just end up having to demolish bad houses, they are acknowledged to be once of the worst landlords as far as the state of many of the houses go

Once was a time people would be greatfull for the state provided housing.
    Dont like it, you have the option to live in your car or 2 families in a garage like so many other families in need.

Oh come on.
    You can clean mould, to a point, but you can't stop it coming back unless you fix the cause.

I've spent the last couple of weeks doing nothing but clean here.
    My fingers are shredded, I have no nails left and I have lost 5 kg.

The problem was, not just my mum couldn't but everything is so old (and some things build by my dad) that you had to fix stuff first, or replace stuff before cleaning could even happen.

Case in point the loo.
    Husband tried.
    He got the old one out and worked on floor which not only had lino cut wrong, then patched back, but for some bizarre reason my dad had concreted up around it.

In the end we rang someone who helped, then had a lino man come later after floor was grinded (grammar I know) down and new loo bought.
    It has a skinny sink in it too, a small loo room, which doesn't help, that, the lino, the concrete made it damn hard to clean behind properly.

And I could go on.....

Don't always jump to conclusions about people.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    Oh come on.
    You can clean mould, to a point, but you can't stop it coming back unless you fix the cause.

I've spent the last couple of weeks doing nothing but clean here.
    My fingers are shredded, I have no nails left and I have lost 5 kg.

The problem was, not just my mum couldn't but everything is so old (and some things build by my dad) that you had to fix stuff first, or replace stuff before cleaning could even happen.

Case in point the loo.
    Husband tried.
    He got the old one out and worked on floor which not only had lino cut wrong, then patched back, but for some bizarre reason my dad had concreted up around it.

In the end we rang someone who helped, then had a lino man come later after floor was grinded (grammar I know) down and new loo bought.
    It has a skinny sink in it too, a small loo room, which doesn't help, that, the lino, the concrete made it damn hard to clean behind properly.

And I could go on.....

Don't always jump to conclusions about people.
    Yep reno work the stuff I hate most but have done a lot of. My least favourite saying is 'Can you look at a job for me' is fine but when they add 'My husband/wife/partner started but doesn't know how to finish this' really puts me off.

I would probably have written grinded too but that's more the way we speak where I come from, the right word would be ground.

As the old saying goes:

If you donít watch the News you are Ill Informed.

And if you do watch the News you are Misinformed!

Take your pick.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.