Older by the minute

Default Desktop startup problem. USB3 drops out.

I have an ASUS M5A78LM-USB3 M/B with a FX8350 CPU.16GB memory, Win10 Pro -1809. The BIOS is up to date 2101 version. Samsung SSD.

When I start the desktop I often get a message “Restart computer with correct O/S”. Restarting often works with anything from one to three attempts. At times before getting to the loading of the O/S, USB3 drops out and I get a message that the keyboard is not connected. I have to move the keyboard receiver to a USB2 port.

This is not a Windows 10 problem. It seems to be a Bios – M/B – maybe SSD drive problem. Has anyone got thoughts on what the problem might be?

Older by the minute

Default Re: Desktop startup problem. USB3 drops out.

Bump anyone?

Restart computer with correct O/S
    1st thought is that's getting confused about what OS to load, has this ever had a dual boot, or failed upgrade ?

The dropping out of the USB's generally happens if the OS fails to register them.

Bit more history as to what's gone on in the past may enlighten the problem more ?

Older by the minute

I had a Sata HDD with win 10. I purchased a SSD and cloned the Sata to it Maybe 9 months ago. I have had nothing but niggly little problems since. Often when I start the PC I get the problems outlined in in my post. I have a USB3 hub installed that has a light in it which activates when USB3 is available. This shows when I start the PC but when I get to the BIOS messages on screen in the pre-boot, the light will go out. Sometimes the PC will boot, without the USB3/sometimes with, and on others I get the reboot - wrong O/S message.

I have run the system happily without the old Sata HDD for sometime other than this problem. If I turn the system off and leave it for say 30mins or more, it's as if the system resets its self and restarts without error, sometimes though the error is still there. Its all hit and miss.

If I connect the Sata HDD on its own everything works without fault.

From the sounds of it, the Computer is trying to boot from something else possibly attached to the computer / Hub, which could be a printer, External Drive or ANYTHING that has storage, even a card reader in the printer if it has one and is attached.

Have a look at the BIOS boot Order, make the HDD the 1st boot device, and disable any USB boot options. Disconnect the Hub, and plug in the KB/Mouse directly into the USB2 Ports. See if the error stops. USB3 ports can often cause problems. For example some printers do all sorts of weird things Or wont work at all on USB3 but are fine on USB2.

Older by the minute

Thank you for the suggestions. It looks like the boot order was the culprit. I had Removable devices as the first boot. Now I have the optical drive 1st, HDD as 2nd and removable device as third. Although it is attached, my printer is rarely turned on. I have now restarted the PC three times without a problem. I appreciate your advice immensely as I was truly going around the twist. Lets hope the fix continues to work.

You should put the hdd as the boot disk. On some systems having it on dvd / optical drive, can add an extra 20 secs to the boot time