Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default extra are confusing me

Hi All, As you know I a in a rest home, email address is info@stjohnshillhealthcare.co.nz. I use this acct to access the internet & Emails. Prior to coming here we had an xtra acct. I have assumed that going thro' the rest home acct I had free access to email with the extr "Free for life email address.
    A new email from them gives me three new options. Buy email, Link it, Buy broadband. If I buy the $5.96 Email does that mean I have to buy a landline as well.
    If I use gmail will I need a landline as well. Of all the emails which would be the best one without a landline. Thanks. PJ
    Deafness.
    When I was younger I heard but didn't listen.
    Now I am older, I listen but cannot hear.

If it is not broke, don't make it broker by trying to make it better. (This applies specifically to PJ)

Default Re: extra are confusing me

Quote Originally Posted by Poppa John View Post
    Hi All, As you know I a in a rest home, email address is info@stjohnshillhealthcare.co.nz. I use this acct to access the internet & Emails. Prior to coming here we had an xtra acct. I have assumed that going thro' the rest home acct I had free access to email with the extr "Free for life email address.
    A new email from them gives me three new options. Buy email, Link it, Buy broadband. If I buy the $5.96 Email does that mean I have to buy a landline as well.
    If I use gmail will I need a landline as well. Of all the emails which would be the best one without a landline. Thanks. PJ
    I think the $5.96 charge is for a monthly charge if you want to continue using your xtra email address but don't have an internet plan with them anymore. You don't need a landline, only internet access somehow. I have never heard of an xtra 'free for life email address' if you don't have an internet plan with them. Sounds unlikely for them to offer this for free.
    Gmail is free and only requires access to the internet. If you have access to the internet via the rest home anyway, then gmail is the better option. It just means you have to let all your contacts know of your change of email address.

email address is info@stjohnshillhealthcare.co.nz. I use this acct to access the internet & Emails.
    Prior to coming here we had an xtra acct. J
    So that is the rest home address.
    Not private at all.

Xtra wants you to pay.

It's free
    The storage is great
    The spam filter is awesome
    It's yours for life
    You will never have to change email addresses again
    Ex-pctek

OK lets try this. Lets call the rest home modem router HOME. There is a common password for all of us to connect to the internet onto the HOME account. So now the little red light, bottom right, goes out & I am connected. At this point telecom xtra is not involved, Right? Only when I use an xtra email address, Right? But my computer has MS Ofice 365 & I can use Outlook.com so I dont need xtra at all do I? I can use Outlook.com & delete xtra,Yes? PJ
    Deafness.

If it is not broke, don't make it broker by trying to make it better. (This applies specifically to PJ)

You can use any email you like. Create a gmail email then add it to outlook

And if you did use Xtra , I don't think you'll be able to send emails

OK lets try this. Lets call the rest home modem router HOME. There is a common password for all of us to connect to the internet onto the HOME account. So now the little red light, bottom right, goes out & I am connected. At this point telecom xtra is not involved, Right? Only when I use an xtra email address, Right? But my computer has MS Ofice 365 & I can use Outlook.com so I dont need xtra at all do I? I can use Outlook.com & delete xtra,Yes? PJ
    So lets go back to the above. I dont need ISP xtra at all iff I use ISP Outlook.com or Google. Is that correct? PJ
    Deafness.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Gonzales View Post
    You can use any email you like. Create a gmail email then add it to outlook

And if you did use Xtra , I don't think you'll be able to send emails
    I think thats right but I could recieve them still from memory. Outlook .com is not an ISP is it. The HOME address is, Yes?
    Deafness.

So lets go back to the above. I dont need ISP xtra at all iff I use ISP Outlook.com or Google. Is that correct? PJ
    Correct. The rest home is providing you with internet access via their ISP, not xtra so you no longer need xtra unless you want to pay the amount to retain an xtra email address.

Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    Correct. The rest home is providing you with internet access via their ISP, not xtra so you no longer need xtra unless you want to pay the amount to retain an xtra email address.
    Good that means I can use the name@ & drop xtra & use Outlook.com. Till MS bugger it up. Thanks for all of your patience people. PJ
    Deafness.

Outlook is a program used to access your emails.

Gmail is an email provider.
    You need to sign up and create an email address with them, then you can set up outlook or whatever program you like to download your emails.
    Ex-pctek