Thread: OneDrive

Default OneDrive

Why would I want to put my files on OneDrive when I have so much space on my Hard Drives? They say if your hard drive crashes you have a backup on OneDrive so are there people out there who don't have backups? I have 9 backups of all my data and I know I'm a little strange but if you really don't have a copy of your data when Hard Drives are so cheap then you deserve to lose you stuff. I understand OneDrive to share but other than sharing and backups I see no purpose in OneDrive so am I missing something?
    Last edited by lostsoul62; 05-11-2018 at 07:42 AM.

Default Re: OneDrive

Lets answer this in reverse,

What is one Drive ?
    OneDrive is a Microsoft cloud storage service that lets you store your personal files in one place, share them with others, and get to them from any device connected to the Internet.
    The other part -- people STIOLL don't do backups ( a lot of businesses as well) People still lose data.

Got two examples I can give,
    1.Couple of weeks back a person knocked their laptop off the table while it was going, the HDD has internal damage, unreadable, undetectable on any PC.
    2. Desktop PC, HDD failed, cant be read, when connected to another PC comes up with I/O Error.

Both drives at the moment are with Datalab, one (the desktop) they are getting in parts to try and repair enough to recover the data, the laptop - As of Friday, not looking to good.

lots of people have the attitude " it wont happen to me" no need to worry, or I'll get around to it ---Wrong !!

Options like One Drive, Google drive, Drop Box allow you to back stuff up, and its a s easy as putting a file in a folder.

There's a business I've just changed over a daily task to onedrive, they have the options of simply signing into onedrive ( if at home doing work), in the past they used to have a document, one would alter it, then email to someone else, who then made alterations, and emailed it back -- so back and forth it would go many times a day. One thing we are looking at is AZURE ( but that's a different story)
    Last edited by wainuitech; 05-11-2018 at 07:57 AM.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

OneDrive isn't a backup. At a pinch you might be able to use is a a poor mans backup system, but if you accidentally delete something, it's deleted on OneDrive also...but I expect it will hold versions (I'm comparing to dropbox which is a similar service).

But the main use of one drive, dropbox, box, google drive etc, is that you can have files on mulitple locations really simply. Ie I have dropbox at home on my computer, and those same files are accessible with my ipad that I'm using at work. And as long as you dont have the thing open in both devices and save at the same time, then you'll always use the latest version. That's the main point. It just insulates "normal" people from having to care about LAN based sharing, or LAN to WAN based sharing for when out of the house.
    Interests: PVRs, HTPCs, Apple IOS, Apple TV, Media Players, C#, Printing

OP, have you covered fire and burglary?

A word re OneDrive. Friend's SSD is warning it is getting full. Found the biggest culprit was his OneDrive folder under 'User' that was a local sync storage for files he had added to OneDrive while overseas. That can catch you out. Need to deal with syncing parameters.

One drive does keep deleted files in the online trash can, I know because it's saved my bacon in the past. I use onedrive for my local work at the office, then move the files onto shared network drives for others to carry on with once I'm done with them. Occasionally the folders get lost off the network (and nobody owns up) and because I moved them I have no local copy and they are not in the local recycle bin either but if you log into one drive online and check the recycle bin, there they are. I don't have enough storage space to keep local copies and the network is supposedly backed up and safe and where files are supposed to be.

Anyway a bit more on topic, one of the advatages of onedrive Wainui already mentioned - you can access the files from a browser anywhere you have an internet connection. It's also a handy way to share files as you mentioned yourself.
    And while it may not be the best of backup solutions it's better than nothing, and to make it better you could use a onedrive folder to backup critical data you have elsewhere and that way the backup is protected from local drive failure.

I think the thing that catches people out though is thinking the files are just in the cloud and that the one drive folders on your PC are not local files, by default they are local folders and just synched to the cloud so it still uses drive space and not everyone understands that at first.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Can't re Member

If you can't combat fire or theft then you're not performing a complete backup. Thats why many people use a cloud backup but there are other options

Quote Originally Posted by psycik View Post
    OneDrive isn't a backup. ---- but if you accidentally delete something, it's deleted on OneDrive also...but I expect it will hold versions (I'm comparing to dropbox which is a similar service).
    Totally depends on how you have one drive setup.

If you for example go to the onedrive site, log in, upload what ever it is, then go into the one drive settings you can tell it not to sync that Item. So the original may be on your computer, a copy on One Drive, and you can do what ever you want to either without it effecting the other.

You don't even need to have files in the One Drive folder on your computer unless you want them to sync. So One drive can be used as online storage / back up only.

As its been mentioned, when you do delete something it goes into the recycle bin in One Drive, gives you a reasonable amount of time to go oh bugger - really wanted that.

If you're signed into OneDrive with a Microsoft account, items in the recycle bin are automatically deleted 30 days after they're put there. If your recycle bin is full, the oldest items will be automatically deleted after three days. If you're signed in with a work or school account, items in the recycle bin are automatically deleted after 93 days, unless the administrator has changed the setting.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 05-11-2018 at 11:41 AM.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    And while it may not be the best of backup solutions it's better than nothing.
    Onedrive/dropbox etc lets you access your docs directly from your work PC AND your laptop when out of office , if installed on the PC/laptop

There is a time limit on recovering deleted/altered files however (on the free versions) .
    So some months later and you see that some files are missing/corrupt, you'll be out of luck (same with basic backups though).