Thread: New features!

Unhappy New features!

"Many software glitches are the result of what developers call "cruft." This is when a piece of software becomes so bloated with code, often because of unnecessary new features, that it makes the core product unstable."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/d...n-your-gadgets

Personally, I couldn't agree more. Especially with Windows!

Your views?

Default Re: New features!

Its always amazing how some people ONLY tell part of the story. Blaming windows for everything. This is totally BS.

Most of the time its third party programs or failing hardware causing the problems.

One comment that was obviously forgotten to be added is relating to itunes.

For me, Apple's iTunes is the most egregious example of software that has accumulated cruft over time.
    The biggest heap of crap and slow media player there is.

I built and worked on many PC's with Windows 10, all the apps or other media players load in a second or three, but Itunes

Classic example last week finished a Gaming PC, i7 7800x with 16GB memory and SSD HDD, EVERYTHING loads in a second or two, VLC player 2 seconds, itunes takes close to a minute before opening.

Thats got nothing to do with windows.

Old story don't like windows don't use it, theres other options.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 31-10-2018 at 09:42 PM.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

MS have always had the issue of maintaining backwards compatibility, which leads to a lot of old code with legacy issues staying in multiple versions of windows over the years.
    This is part of the "bloat" and it's always been deliberate because history has shown that if a new OS versions stops too much legacy software working it alienates a large portion of your customers.

Every time something stops working there's an outcry, imagine if all the software you own was incompatible with the next release.
    There is also a lot of features the bulk of the users don't want or need too.

The remarkable thing about windows 10 to me is that it doesn't seem to take up any more space than 7 or 8 despite all the changes.
    It's not perfect though and I'm not trying to say it is.

If we could ditch all the legacy code it'd probably be a lean fast OS, trouble is MS seems to have a vision of going the way of the MS store and universal apps and would probably ditch everything else given the chance. I'd rather have some bloat and maintain support for all the legacy stuff myself.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    "Many software glitches are the result of what developers call "cruft." This is when a piece of software becomes so bloated with code, often because of unnecessary new features, that it makes the core product unstable."
    For sure.

Patching rather than correcting is quick and dirty.

And once programmers were forced to write tiny, precise code, now they have the luxury of bloat and spaghetti.
    My friend - a programmer agrees....
    Ex-pctek

Leo Notenboom of "Ask Leo" puts it well and he loves Microsoft and in fact worked 18 years as a software engineer for Microsoft...

"Stop feature updates completely. Focus on stability and security, at least until you improve your track record. Many myself included feel too many things are being updated too quickly. "

https://askleo.com/microsoft-we-deserve-better
    (video of this article is here https://youtu.be/cvQ0dKUqLPQ)

But it's not just Microsoft who do this.