Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loose glasses

Default Re: Loose glasses

Thanks for the replies. I would prefer not to get new glasses as other than the loose arms I like these ones. My sunglasses have had the same issue for much longer and when the optometrist tightened the screws it made a world of difference, as it did to the Spec Savers ones. The arms on both pairs were tight when new but the screws just cannot be tightened any further.

I'll go back to Spec Savers and/or my optometrist who does my eye tests and supplied the sunglasses and discuss the issue with them. Failing that cyanoacrylate might be the next option.

The hinge, the screw(s) and cyanoacrylate will do nothing to improve the fit.
    Chances are, whenever you've previously had them successfully tightened they've included a few other little bends to the frame to improve the fit.

Bending the arms (temples) into a tighter curve can make the fit worse, as overtightening this curve will prevent them from slipping behind your ears, and they'll instead sit partly perched on top of your ears instead, and be less comfortable.

What you want is more contact (pressure) against the sides of your head.
    Usually the worst behaviour to cause frames to loosen is the habit of pulling them off with one hand, which tends to stretch out the frame on the opposite side.

Open up the arms fully, and rest the frame on a surface in front of you. It should form a fairly symmetrical shape, with the temples running roughly parallel to each other.
    If the temples appear splayed apart, then your frame has been stretched. If it's a metal frame, then the usual site of the bend is just anterior to the temple joint (just in front of that hinge screw), adjacent to where the lens is secured.

|__^__| - desired shape when viewed from above |= temple __= lens ^=bridge

\__^__/ - likely shaped when loose fit

\__^__ <<< grasp the lens firmly here, taking care not to apply any force across the bridge (the middle bit)

apply pressure to the bent corner by pressing the corner of the frame into a flat surface

apply pressure in this direction >>> against a flat surface

___/ should become ___|

repeat for the other side \__ should become |__

A slight rolling action can help to ease the frame into the shape you need. Job done.

If it's a plastic frame it should not be attempted without the right gear (requires heat, which might damage the lenses or the frame, so let others take that risk), however, the principle remains the same, although bowing at the bridge is common with plastic frameas as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul.Cov View Post
    What you want is more contact (pressure) against the sides of your head.
    Thanks for your helpful reply - yes, that is exactly the effect that I am seeking and what I get when the screws have been tightened.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul.Cov View Post
    Usually the worst behaviour to cause frames to loosen is the habit of pulling them off with one hand, which tends to stretch out the frame on the opposite side.
    That's a good tip, I normally use two hands but may have occasionally used one hand. I also never put my glasses up on my head like a lot of people do as I don't want them stretched. Both frames are plastic and one pair is pretty much the same as your first image except for one side being very slightly shaped as in your second image. Perhaps I remove them with one hand more than I realise...

Anyway, I'll call in to the optometrist and see what they say. Thanks again for your advice.

Older by the minute

Might be over the top but you could investigate Loctite.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Might be over the top but you could investigate Loctite.
    Works very well. Getting the Loctite off your ears and nose is irksome though.
    Entropy is not what
    it used to be.