Past Drink-by Date

Default PDF file changing format

I have used PDF Professional and the ability of Excel and Word to save files as PDFs for many years, to email various items (financial reports, tax returns, etc) to my clients in a format they can all open without difficulty, view, print or whatever. Another great benefit with sending such items as PDFs is that they can't be altered or B***d about with after receipt.

Recently I have experienced a number of instances with one client who has advised that items I have emailed as attached PDFs to him have mysteriously appeared as .DAT attachments on receipt, which he is unable to open. I have checked and I have done nothing different from usual in sending these particular emails and PDF attachments, and similar emails to other clients have all been received normally. This makes me suspect that whatever the problem is must be at his end, not mine.

Can anyone throw any light on what may be happening, and suggest a possible remedy?

Default Re: PDF file changing format

You're using Outlook yes?

It (for reasons only known to itself) is sending in "rich text" format, that only another Outlook will understand.

Convince it to send in HTML or plain text or, better yet, change to a proper mail client.
    We've got the shovels, we've got the gloves
    We've had the visions, we've got approval from above

Past Drink-by Date

Quote Originally Posted by fred_fish View Post
    You're using Outlook yes?

It (for reasons only known to itself) is sending in "rich text" format, that only another Outlook will understand.

Convince it to send in HTML or plain text or, better yet, change to a proper mail client.
    True, I do use Outlook - have done ever since the days of MS Office 3.2. But how does the format of the email body text, e.g. RTF, affect or change the format of an attachment such as a PDF?

Because in that email format, outlook encapsulates all formatting and any attachments inside a winmail.dat file attached to a plain text email. The receiving outlook reverses this process and recreates the original email and separate attachments.
    This is useless for anyone not using outlook as a mail client, as all they see will be a poorly formatted plain text email with a winmail.dat attachment that nothing will open.