Thread: New Build

Default New Build

I have 3 computers which is the least Iíve ever had in over 20 years because I worked as a MIS manager for 20 years in Silicon Valley. Iím an old man of 71 and I have a AMD 955 which is 7 Ĺ years old and itís getting slow and a 4 year old i5 which is OK and a 6 Ĺ year old laptop which I want to replace with a tablet because I donít go anywhere but itís nice to have one better that my Fire tablet. So what would you recommend for a new build? Iím thinking a top of the line i5 so I figure this will be the last computer I will build so I might go with an i7 but I understand for a normal person which I am now you canít tell the different between an i5 and i7 but I also want an 8th generation. Well I just wanted to vent a little and maybe get some ideas.

Default Re: New Build

Depends want you want to do on it and how much you want to spend. Are you likely to need or want the power of a high end CPU ? outside of gamers and content creators most people have no need for an i7 and wouldn't notice the difference.

Anyway The current Ryzen 2600x & 2700X are worth consideration as well, better bang for the buck.

So:
    Any 8 series i3, i5, i7 depending on preference - the standouts are i5 8400, i5 8600k, i7 8700K (or the new 9 series that just dropped - 9600K, 9700K but there's not much in it)
    Alternatively Ryzen 5 2600X or ryzen 7 2700X
    8-16GB of DDR 4 RAM, for Ryzen Gskill flareX 3200 is the way to go to get the most out of the CPU

And do yourself a favour and get a decent SSD boot drive if you don't already, preferably a Samsung M.2 NVME based drive like the 970 evo. For most people this will affect perceived speed more than the CPU will
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by lostsoul62 View Post
    I have a AMD 955 which is 7 Ĺ years old and itís getting slow.
    I have an 8 yr old computer - it is not slow, getting slow or any different in performance.

But then I have changed O/S. Now OK, but I did restore the old Windows O/S before I change to non-Windows, over that time....

Because:

Slow is caused by bloat. It is especially common with Windows machines.
    Your computer does not degrade in hardware performance...it's what it is.

The best way to "speed it up" is to backup, wipe Windows and do a fresh install.

Or if you anticipated this, you would have had a clean fresh image made of C: drive and you would then restore the PC back to it's unpolluted, uncluttered state with this.

And suddenly - it's not slow at all.
    Ex-pctek

Upgrade to SSD
    that alone will often give a better speed upgrade than anything else.

Old HD's can slow down as they start to fail (yet still pass all tests) : it will be seen as the PC slowing to a crawl every now & then for no good reason

Otherwise, it all depends on how much you want to spend & if you want to do a build for the fun of it.
    I would say buy all the parts from the one shop, makes it easier if you get any hardware issues later on .

I buy from pp.co.nz they will custom build and assemble it from the parts of your choice for an extra $50 or $60.

What are the specs of your I5 machine? a processor, ram, ssd upgrade may be better value than a complete new build
    NZ Digital TV Forum, Freeview NZ , etc
    http://www.nzdtv.com/

I have researching the Ryzen 2600 and it sounds like a great CPU but not the 2600x
    I agree the computer should be wipe clean and re install Windows and that would cut down on the blot.
    I always use the SSD drive for the OS
    The only thing I'm kind of a hard case on is I'm not paying a huge amount for a video card, I have a R9-270x and I might buy a R9-280X but I'm not spending $300+ for a video card when my R9-270x plays just fine.
    Thanks for all your imputs

[QUOTE=lostsoul62;1282112]I have 3 computers which is the least Iíve ever had in over 20 years because I worked as a MIS manager for 20 years in Silicon Valley. Iím an old man of 71

I wish I could be 71 again!

[QUOTE=Richard;1282214]
    I have 3 computers which is the least I’ve ever had in over 20 years because I worked as a MIS manager for 20 years in Silicon Valley. I’m an old man of 71

I wish I could be 71 again!
    I think I would go back a bit further

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    The best way to "speed it up" is to backup, wipe Windows and do a fresh install.
    I wish I had the skills to try this, I'd do it to my lappie. It needs a kick in the nads to improve its performance.

I have researching the Ryzen 2600 and it sounds like a great CPU but not the 2600x
    Just curious what it is about the 2600X that you don't like the sound of? If you are planning on adding an aftermarket cooler and overclocking then the 2600 is the better deal but if you just want to leave everything at stock speeds and use the bundled cooler then the 2600X is a better performer and comes with a better cooler. Both are cheaper than what you were originally considering as well.

I went all out and bought a 2700X myself, so far it's much more CPU than I need and rarely even gets 50% used but I wanted it. Nothing at all wrong with a 2600 though, probably what I should have bought for my build.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070