Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default old pc not recognised by (TV) screen

Hi All
    A couple of days ago I bought an old(ish) PC for the software running on it. Once I'm confident with the software I can then install(transfer) it on my laptop.
    Anyway; I have connected with DVI cable, as that is all I have atm. The operating system has visibly loaded a couple of times and I have been able to set up desktop and work on the CAD system, add printers and a few other bits. Next time when I booted the PC the pre-boot loading of W7 pro was visible. As soon as it had booted the screen was blue with an error that it does not recognise the input.

Just five minutes ago I bought a Displayport to HDMI adapter and it arrives tomorrow .

I just wonder what it could be? Any ideas? I might be able to get it going before the adapter arrives.
    Still I want to connect with HDMI as soon as I can.

Thanks
    "B.M. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else": The working class! Let's make sure we vote next time!

Default Re: old pc not recognised by (TV) screen

The resolution seems to have been set to something the tv doesn't support imho.
    You might need to use monitor at least once to boot up and set the resolution, or perhaps booting into safe mode might work.

Hi sorry to go off topic here but i note your running win7 pro.
    I thought MS didnt support that anymore so how do you keep it updated.

Quote Originally Posted by techman12 View Post
    Hi sorry to go off topic here but i note your running win7 pro.
    I thought MS didnt support that anymore so how do you keep it updated.
    It has reached the end of mainstream support, but that means Microsoft will continue to patch any security threats but won't add any new features. Extended support ends January 14, 2020 , It can be extend more for a price (same as XP)

I like win 10 but i fear its going to get to big and bloated the more they add to it.
    Hope they bring out win 11.

Quote Originally Posted by techman12 View Post
    I like win 10 but i fear its going to get to big and bloated the more they add to it.
    Hope they bring out win 11.
    Microsoft have already said there will be no Windows 11.

Bloated ?? It actually runs very nice even on low powered machines, got one here now, Pentium with 4GB memory, after you disable some of the things running in the background that's not needed, its actually quite quick.

There's hundreds of articles on the web as to how to make W10 work better, as well as mentioned in these forums many times. Trouble is with a lot of people is they leave things as standard, either because they simply don't know how to use their OS or don't want to learn. Had it happen countless times gone to customers places and sped up there PC just by changing some settings.

Back on topic
    A couple of days ago I bought an old(ish) PC for the software running on it.
    Windows 7 is still a good OS BUT its getting to the point that XP was/is Its had its day, technology moves on tings don't work now.

As soon as it had booted the screen was blue with an error that it does not recognise the input.
    Could be hardware could be software, might simply not be compatible, not everything works together

Hi All
    My apology for not getting back sooner. Also many thanks for your replies.
    Firstly about the problem regarding the TV screen. It solved itself as soon as the the displayport/hdmi adapter was dropped off by the courier approx 18 hrs after ordering.
    As for the W7 system; as the CAD system is running on it right now my first priority is to get used the the latest CAD version and sorting out any setting-up and CAD importing issues. After those hurdles are smoothed out I like to shift the CAD system to a laptop. At the moment still running W8.1 on my laptop. It is a lot of work changing OS and setting all up, hence still at 8.1.
    It is soon time to move to W10 though the above mentioned bloat concerns me.
    "B.M. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else": The working class! Let's make sure we vote next time!

Quote Originally Posted by notechyet View Post
    At the moment still running W8.1 on my laptop. It is a lot of work changing OS and setting all up, hence still at 8.1.
    It is soon time to move to W10 though the above mentioned bloat concerns me.
    Windows 10 is a lot more like W7. The biggest visible difference is the start button menu, its actually easy to get used to and a LOT more custom-able.

Bloat -- Don't believe it, its simple to reduce any slowness, takes roughly a minute and one reboot Just ask if you have to and I'll post how. (or look for previous instructions in the forum) If your computer runs fine on W7 or W8.1 it will run BETTER on W10. The possible exception is if hardware is to old and the manufactures don't make drivers any more.

What you can't fix is any hardware faults like bad sectors or general wear and tear or any malware related programs you may install. Also pays to disable any programs that don't have to run in the background on startup -- This is NOTHING new, been like that since before Windows 98.

One thing that does work, is a fresh install, its always faster with a clean install instead of a upgrade. At the moment you can still use a W7 -8.1 product key to install and activate W10.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 28-10-2018 at 07:43 PM.

Im using chrome as my browser, How do i get my bookmarks to be just on the chrome browser im sick of having to click the bookmarks tab then mouse over to imported bookmarks from edge i find it very annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Windows 10 is a lot more like W7. The biggest visible difference is the start button menu, its actually easy to get used to and a LOT more custom-able.

Bloat -- Don't believe it, its simple to reduce any slowness, takes roughly a minute and one reboot Just ask if you have to and I'll post how. (or look for previous instructions in the forum) If your computer runs fine on W7 or W8.1 it will run BETTER on W10. The possible exception is if hardware is to old and the manufactures don't make drivers any more.

What you can't fix is any hardware faults like bad sectors or general wear and tear or any malware related programs you may install. Also pays to disable any programs that don't have to run in the background on startup -- This is NOTHING new, been like that since before Windows 98.

One thing that does work, is a fresh install, its always faster with a clean install instead of a upgrade. At the moment you can still use a W7 -8.1 product key to install and activate W10.
    Thanks!
    As it is W8 PRO on my laptop, is there a chance to get W10 PRO? If so, I might use the 8.1 upgrade/fresh install before getting the CAD onto the laptop.