Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Never mind climate change, beware the lycra loonies.

I am a white head, yellow hi viz cyclist. I always ride on my own. Sometimes, walkers on the cycleway/pedestrian paths refuse to get out of the way, even though the concrete track has got share signs at regular intervals and symbols etched into the concrete pathway. They are the minority though. I agree about the Lycra mob, sometimes 3 wide on narrow roads and cursing the car drivers. They, mostly are a pain in the arse. Most of the white head brigade that ride in groups are in single file and that is brilliant. After all, there is plenty of room for everybody on the roads and tracks.

Ken

The trouble with the Lycra Loonies is they are Strong in the Legs and Weak in the Head.

They seem to think that once they have got their Gonad Enhancing pants on they are entitled to demand right-of-way anywhere.

Then, when they find themselves wrapped around the muffler of a big truck, they are experiencing Climate Change.

I’m all for declaring an open season on them.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Well, well Bm could just as easily be describing numb nuts drivers who treat the roads as a race track

Quote Originally Posted by gary67 View Post
    Well, well Bm could just as easily be describing numb nuts drivers who treat the roads as a race track
    Unfortunately there are idiots on both sides.

Ken
    Corgi Ben Kenobi.......Related by Corgi to the Queen

Quote Originally Posted by kenj View Post
    Unfortunately there are idiots on both sides.

Ken
    Totally agree there Kenj, I just get peeved when one side thinks the other is exclusively responsible.

Perhaps we need gun laws similar to the good ol' US of A. Shoot the offenders on sight, cyclists, motorists and pedestrians alike. It may not modify the behaviour of others but it may reduce the number of idiots which will save the taxpayer millions in hospital bills. Leave the remains as roadkill for our endangered native birds. But ban the Lycra; it chokes the birds.

Agree BM, these cyclists are road filth/parasites. When they use the road and there is a cycle way next to it I pass them with a few millimeters to spare.
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.

Quote Originally Posted by prefect View Post
    Agree BM, these cyclists are road filth/parasites. When they use the road and there is a cycle way next to it I pass them with a few millimeters to spare.
    I moved out of the cycleway the other day and got abused by a passing motorist. What he didn't see was the parked car whose driver was an ignorant arrogant son of a ***** whom I was about to pass when he opened his door and would have taken me out had I not encroached on the car area. Which way do you want it Gary? Road rage permissible because you drive a car, or a bit of tolerance where you realize that not all cyclists are bad and not all car drivers are bad. A bit of patience and we will all get on together better!

I often find the same thing with pedestrians on a SHARED path who just won't move when I am riding towards them. In that case I just stop on the path and they have to walk around me while hearing my cheery greeting…"Good morning"

Ken
    Last edited by kenj; 22-10-2018 at 05:34 PM.
    Corgi Ben Kenobi.......Related by Corgi to the Queen

I don’t think a lot of us are talking about the average cyclist.

The bothersome ones are the “Lycra Loonies” who once fully attired, find the Main Road to narrow and see themselves as being bulletproof.

Most of us have ridden bikes at some stage of our lives and those of us still alive are so because we didn’t argue with larger vehicles.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Unless things have changed markedly, it is my understanding that a bicycle can stop much quicker than a car or larger vehicle. So why is it so necessary to swerve when the time taken to decide to swerve is probably about the time it would take to stop or slow down. The argument that "Why should I stop when the car is at fault?" simply doesn't hold water. The reason is that there is only a millimeter or so of Lycra between the cyclist's bum and my bumper and if it gets any closer, the cyclist will be a lot sorer than I will. Surely defensive driving pertains to cyclists too. I am astounded that self -preservation is insufficient incentive for the Lycra-loonies to do everything possible to preserve their posteriors, not to mention their extravagantly expensive bicycles.