Default Green check marks on Icons

I had a program "Stardock Fences" on windows 10 and as it was causing trouble I removed it with "Revo Uninstaller". Nearly all of my Desktop Icons now have this annoying Green tick.

I have tried "Refresh" and also in Explorer/folder options/view to make sure "use check boxes to select items" is not checked.

Any suggestions how to get rid of this annoyance please.?
    Last edited by Pato; 09-10-2018 at 03:30 PM.

Default Re: Green check marks on Icons

Do you use onedrive? Looks like synced folders will also have green checkmarks

I do use onedrive but this has only just happened after my deletion of the Fences programme. How can I get rid of the check marks.? Any suggestions.?

Quote Originally Posted by Pato View Post
    I do use onedrive but this has only just happened after my deletion of the Fences programme. How can I get rid of the check marks.? Any suggestions.?
    Sounds a little like Fences has screwed up something in the displaying.

If you have Norton, that's known for doing that, Norton -> Settings -> Backup Settings -> Backup Status Overlays -> OFF -> Apply. Refresh Desktop

Other wise could be the icon cache gone tipsy (caused by fences).

You can rebuild manually if you want to try, or there's a third party Tool that also does it (further down this page)

https://www.intowindows.com/how-to-r...in-windows-10/

OR if you want to avoid all the reading - download the tool from https://www.deviantart.com/screeny05...0-7b-164152806 Download link is on the right 263kb , RAR download, extract it right click it run as admin, click on the gear -- Once done ( only takes a second) reboot, the desktop icons may take a bit longer to populate on first boot.

if the ticks are gone - GREAT - if not then its something else.

No not using Nortons. I will give that tool a go. I guess it won't cause other problems as I can put up with this minor annoyance.?

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Sounds a little like Fences has screwed up something in the displaying.

OR if you want to avoid all the reading - download the tool from https://www.deviantart.com/screeny05...0-7b-164152806
    Unfortunately that didn't solve the problem. I wonder if Fences didn't uninstall correctly? It is not of any great concern but it is annoying and I would like to fix it. Have you got any other suggestions.?

wainuitech, You got any more suggestions on how to fix this please.?

Quote Originally Posted by Pato View Post
    wainuitech, You got any more suggestions on how to fix this please.?
    Yeah, but I'll post later, got SWMBO waiting ( yes under the thumb)

I can tell you whats causing it, but finding the problem could be another matter. The icons are getting the overlays in a twist. There was a time that Dropbox clashed with onedrive causing this problem.

Do you use Onedrive or Dropbox ?? AND do you sign in with a Local account or Email account ?

Even if you do try this Press ctrl/Alt /Del, open task manager, expand it out if not in full mode ( bottom left of the task manager window). Go to the start Tab, scroll down and locate One drive, turn it off. Reboot and see what happens.

If its not onedrive then there will be something else causing it.

1st start the Computer in safe mode ( hold down the shift key /restart) start in Safe mode -- Do the ticks still appear -- If not then restart normally, go into task manager / Startup tab, turn off everything that's not needed (lots of programs aren't)
    If you have google drive disable that first and retry. Once disabled everything not required then restart again. If the ticks have gone then you can enable one item at a time ( if you want) until they come back after a restart - That's the problem program.

If its still there, then fences may have left some traces behind. WHEN you used revo did you use the advanced mode and remove all folders / Reg Keys ?

If not then you may like to run ccleaner, Registry - run and clean out any files it finds (MAKE A RESTORE POINT FIRST) OR look through the results and look for ANYTHING relating to Fences/Stardock and remove the entry(s)

The ticks basically are related to some sort of sync program or a overlay that may have been shared but gone bad.

Trying to sort on here is partly guess work because cant see what may be obvious if I had the PC in front of me.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 12-10-2018 at 07:48 PM.