Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Smile Windows to Linux.

I bought my first desktop, about 2003.
    Was an SX25 with 8 MB ram and windows 3.
    Moved to windows 3.1, 3.11, 95, 98 and finally XP, which I still think was their best windows.
    After all these years I finally got sick of windows 10 and gone to Linux mint, 12 I think?
    Had it about 3 weeks and not missed a beat.
    Was thinking of doing a dual boot but my windows guy says better to stick with Linux.
    What you guys think?
    If so whats best way of doing it?

Old guy

Default Re: Windows to Linux.

I tend to think that if Linux is doing what you want it is easier to stick with it and learn to use and maintain it properly. Otherwise you are just introducing complications that you do not really need.

By all means run both, But I wouldn't dual boot. You would be better off having one set as a VM (Virtual Machine) Of course the main thing is you need to have a computer thats powerful enough to run a VM as well as the hardware is capable.

Running as VM's you can try many different OS's without effecting the host OS. Heres an example on this PC (VM) I can run any one of those in conjunction with the Host OS (Windows 10)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VM's.png 
Views:	77 
Size:	9.6 KB 
ID:	9066

In case you're interested, mint 12 is quite old - the latest is Mint 19. Trying to find help unless you have a friendly person who knows Linux can be painful.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 04-10-2018 at 07:22 PM.

Do you mean 1983? My first PC was in 1987 and was a 386 running DOS version 3 and then later tried Windows 2 but mostly stuck to DOS. Eventually bought a 486 with Windows 3 and still was heavily using DOS.

I think Windows 2000 was their best OS, XP was just a candy coated version of it.

Anyways if you are thinking of doing dual boot, what are your reasons behind it? Since these would be the deciding factors over if you do or do not need it and everyone is different.

I do not need Windows, except I do have a Win10PE USB for times where I may need to flash a bios with a windows only method or need to see how a Windows utility works to mimick it. Other than that, i've not truly ran Windows since XP.

You could just continue using Linux until such time arises. If it ever does.

Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

@Kame:

In ways that I do not totally understand - I know that one can use VM - proviso one has a powerful-enough 'puter. That's all well n good and I understand some of that.

I am also of the opinion that one can run WINE to access Windows things - and there's where my wheels fall off. Do you have to have a fully installed and up to date version of Windows to run WINE from it?

IOW: Do I need to have (say) XP installed on the same HDD to use WINE in Linux?

I ask 'cause if I wanted to run Win/Office Writer while I'm in Mint, can I just access it via WINE --- and/or could I ONLY install Win Office Suite and cherry-pick it in Mint?

You might see that I do not want a full installation of Windows - just a copy of Win Office.

Do-able?

Warum werden wir so früh alt und klug so spät?

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    By all means run both, But I wouldn't dual boot. You would be better off having one set as a VM (Virtual Machine) Of course the main thing is you need to have a computer thats powerful enough to run a VM as well as the hardware is capable.

Running as VM's you can try many different OS's without effecting the host OS. Heres an example on this PC (VM) I can run any one of those in conjunction with the Host OS (Windows 10)

Name:	VM's.png 
Views:	77 
Size:	9.6 KB 
ID:	9066

In case you're interested, mint 12 is quite old - the latest is Mint 19. Trying to find help unless you have a friendly person who knows Linux can be painful.
    Question ------> if one is running a truly older desktop, then an earlier iteration of Linux should be all well-n-good - right?

Old hardware may dislike a newer distro. I need to run Linux Mint 17.3 'cause of my older 'puter.

Name:	Screenshot from 2018-10-04 12:24:19.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	9067

Warum werden wir so früh alt und klug so spät?

I wouldn't bother dual booting if you are happy with Mint.
    I did initially and it was just annoying, I never went back into Windows so I formatted and re-did it from scratch.

Wine does not need Windows, the whole point is it is a Windows Emulator.....WINE you see....WIN-E.

Nor do you need Office, Libre Office is no different.

Live Windows free....I haven't looked back and it's been nearly a year
    Ex-pctek

Oh yeah..... im happy with Mint..... I only posted the question and mentioned WinOffice as a f'rinstance, as I totally love LibreOffice.

My question was more generic as I thought one had to have a full installation of Windows on the same hdd so you could call any of its applications over to Linux before it could be used, that's all.

I'm trying to think of a way to explain wine.

Wine is like a software translator/converter that helps other operating systems understand how to run windows programs. You do not need Windows as everything that is needed is available online or built into wine.

Being a translator/convertor, everything is not perfect and as a result some software may not work. You should check Wine's database to see if they have rated/tested it and knows whether it works.

I would not use wine to attempt to flash a bios, nor a virtual machine because I feel only the host has that direct access.

I used Wine many years ago to try different methods of installing Photoshop 7. The easiest method was directly copying the installation location from Windows over to Linux rather than installing from CD.

However it was successful either way and helped me understand why wine shouldnt be called an emulator.

Quote Originally Posted by Kame View Post

Wine is like a software translator/converter that helps other operating systems understand how to run windows programs. You do not need Windows as everything that is needed is available online or built into wine.
    It is an emulator.
    Stuff may work, or it may not.

If it doesn't oh well, plenty of Linux alternatives around.

I have it to run 2 very old games....that were Windows. Worked well.
    Ex-pctek