Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Drugs verses Guns in the USA

I heard on 1 News the other night that gun deaths are at 30,000 per year in the US. Dunno what they were comparing it too, but I grabbed the phone/calculator and got to 82 per day.
    I accept most of that is probably Chicago, but still.
    Last edited by allblack; 04-10-2018 at 08:04 AM.

Old guy

Quote Originally Posted by Nick G View Post
    Of course I read it. Your statement was 100% correct? That's absolute rubbish. Gun related deaths were far higher than 'a few hundred'. Don't double down on lies.
    My OP made the observation that there is a lot of publicity on gun deaths but very little in comparison for drug deaths. I still believe that.
    I may well be mistaken however I am not a liar. You might take note of the fact that abusing other people is unlikely to get them to agree with your point of view.
    I do not know you Nick so I have no idea who you really are. At a guess you are a bright well educated individual in your early twenties who is still living at home and looking for employment. When you have been around long enough to realize that nobody knows everything about everything, including you, you will probably be a productive and worthwhile individual. At present you come across as an educated idiot.
    Life is to short to enter into a protracted discussion about something of so little value so I will just make use of the feature that blocks you. Have a nice day.

Old guy

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    let's see......because the OD people do it to themselves.
    The gun people shoot other people.
    Good comment, why did I not think of that.

Quote Originally Posted by prefect View Post
    Guns do not kill people, people kill people..

Yeah yeah.

But you watch a few of those crime docos.....an awful lot of them are stupidity.
    Kids getting hold of it, morons playing with it and then there are the all too common get into an argument with someone, one pulls out the gun.

Now pulling out your fist, your baseball bat, your knife even, is not as likely to result in death, guns pretty much always are.

And even harder is killing someone by stuffing a large dose of drugs down their throat....you kind of need to have at least tied them up first or such.
    The ODs are killing themselves and thus improving the gene pool.
    Ex-pctek

VoidMaster

What guns do a lot of the time is remove the attacker from experiencing the surrender response from the threatened individual.

In hand to hand combat of any type the losing individual will at some point be exhibiting a surrender response which comes from way back in our evolutionary past. The successful attacker will often back off and discontinue the attack.

But with guns this close up and personal interaction is circumvented by distance apart much of the time.
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Bleakly Optomistic

The problem with drug addicts is that a fair few of them impact others by stealing stuff to fund their habit.

Quote Originally Posted by CliveM View Post
    Life is to short to enter into a protracted discussion about something of so little value so I will just make use of the feature that blocks you.
    I, too, would like to use the feature that blocks him. Will you please tell me how that works. Thank you.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Quote Originally Posted by allblack View Post
    I heard on 1 News the other night that gun deaths are at 30,000 per year in the US. Dunno what they were comparing it too, but I grabbed the phone/calculator and got to 82 per day.
    I accept most of that is probably Chicago, but still.
    More die on the US roads . Its easy to throw out a number & go 'the horrors' . Number of accidental household deaths , the horrors :-)
    Remember , this is a population of 325Million (+ illegals) . Factor that in when looking at the numbers .
    Also, in NZ , we dont know whats on US news : TV, newspapers . The Opioid issue is/was getting plenty of news coverage in the US (from what Ive seen).

pcsourcepoint

Quote Originally Posted by the_bogan View Post
    The problem with drug addicts is that a fair few of them impact others by stealing stuff to fund their habit.
    True. Another cost often to Governments is treatment and rehab costs forever ongoing...
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)|I Student NZ (My Student Resoucre Tips)

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    I, too, would like to use the feature that blocks him. Will you please tell me how that works. Thank you.
    Easy, click on my profile and select 'add to ignore list''.