Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Aluminium joinery recommendations?

I'm considering replacing some wooden ranchsliders with aluminium. Any recommendations as to a supplier, and any insights about who to avoid? I'm in West Auckland.

TIA
    We are all but temporary files on the great HDD of life.

Default Re: Aluminium joinery recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I'm considering replacing some wooden ranchsliders with aluminium. Any recommendations as to a supplier, and any insights about who to avoid? I'm in West Auckland.

TIA
    Can't help with a supplier recommendation from Wellington, but if you are thinking of a double-glazed door (generally a good idea, even in Auckland) spend a bit more money and get thermal-break framing. Otherwise in winter you can have nice clear glass, but condensation streaming down the aluminium frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayess64 View Post
    Can't help with a supplier recommendation from Wellington, but if you are thinking of a double-glazed door (generally a good idea, even in Auckland) spend a bit more money and get thermal-break framing. Otherwise in winter you can have nice clear glass, but condensation streaming down the aluminium frame.
    Thanks for that. I'll definitely be having double glazing, so the thermal break tip is useful.

Personally I like the profiles from Fairview, you would need to Google to see who is the Auckland manufacturer

i would look at other door designs.
    one of the big problems with ranchsliders is they are drafty. they are difficult to seal. a bit of wind on the door and its bows enough for air to get past the seals.
    also make sure the drain is not just open.
    when they install it make sure the door is sealed to the house, otherwise it just leaks air.

its not just cold air leaking in you have to watch, but hot air leaking out. not only do you loose heat it sucks in cold replacement air, so its a double whammy.
    Tweak it till it breaks

pcsourcepoint

Some pdf search results (possibly manuals/brochures) for sliding doors and/or aluminium in Henderson. Change keywords if you want. Won't aluminium buckle along the bottom - I seen that. Then have to rock the sliding door to open/close...
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)|I Student NZ (My Student Resoucre Tips)

Quote Originally Posted by tweak'e View Post
    one of the big problems with ranchsliders is they are drafty. they are difficult to seal. a bit of wind on the door and its bows enough for air to get past the seals.
    when they install it make sure the door is sealed to the house, otherwise it just leaks air.

its not just cold air leaking in you have to watch, but hot air leaking out. not only do you loose heat it sucks in cold replacement air, so its a double whammy.
    I haven't come across any modern ones that do that as the aluminium frames are much better designed than they used to be. But yes it does need to be sealed all round the frame, firstly with PEF rod and then expanding foam, this is now the default standard for all new homes around windows and doors.

Quote Originally Posted by tweak'e View Post

Thanks for all that. They are certainly things to look out for. I did a similar thing with some other ranchsliders a few years ago and haven't had any problems, so maybe what Gary67 said is correct. Still, I'll certainly keep an eye out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Thanks for all that. They are certainly things to look out for. I did a similar thing with some other ranchsliders a few years ago and haven't had any problems, so maybe what Gary67 said is correct. Still, I'll certainly keep an eye out.
    catch is you won't notice any air coming through unless you know what to look for or test with.

its just the inherent problem with seals and sliding action. aluminum frames will always move and flex, its a question of can the seals flex enough to account for it.
    very difficult to make good sealing sliding action especially with use (seals wear) and age (seals harden). compare to normal door where a seal is compressed on closing. far easier to seal.

the easiest way to make the expensive double glazing worthless is to have air leak around the sides of it. just something to keep in mind.
    Tweak it till it breaks

I have a ranchslider.
    Air? No, not at all and it certainly isn't new. Circa 1980.

There is a cat door in it now, and the only air leakage is through that.

However I hate them. I much prefer French Doors. My mum has 2 sets, lounge and dining down in Napier. Lovely things.
    Ranch sliders, meh.....We've had them fixed, the wheels were stuffed, flat in fact...they couldn't lift the door out either, old style type....and had to dismantle things in place to get at them.

Not massively expensive and they have worked well since, just not a fan of aluminium doors and windows. If you have an older house with wood, it ruins them too, any REA or designer will tell you that.
    Ex-pctek