Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thumb drives

Default Thumb drives

What has MS done now!!, been using 32gig thumb drive for whenever, now w10 tells me to put a different medium in, wtf have they done to the latest update!.

As an aside, desktop icons take forever to go from blank to real on startup.

lurking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Media select.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	12.0 KB 
ID:	9039  

Default Re: Thumb drives

That is nothing to do with Win10. It seems the software (ancestral something?) is expecting you to have more data than you do on that drive. with it referring to a multi volume set - that is the sort of thing you got 15 years ago backing up to floppy disks, or CDs.

What are you actually wanting to do?

The desktop icons taking forever to load sounds more like a general computer slowness issue.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

That can also happen if you don't remove the Flash Drive correctly, then when re-inserting starts looking for missing files /locations.

Many Simply pull out the Drive when finished, but if windows is doing something and you don't actually turn off / eject the Drive safety, you run the risk of corrupting anything on the drive or OS, Which "MAY" be the cause of the slowness relating to the icons.

Quote Originally Posted by wratterus View Post
    That is nothing to do with Win10. It seems the software (ancestral something?) is expecting you to have more data than you do on that drive. with it referring to a multi volume set - that is the sort of thing you got 15 years ago backing up to floppy disks, or CDs.

What are you actually wanting to do?

The desktop icons taking forever to load sounds more like a general computer slowness issue.
    Hi, what I do every time I update the laptop family history, with what I have done on the main desktop pc.

It now works ok after shutting lappy down and re-booting it.

Thanks for your reply.

lurking.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    That can also happen if you don't remove the Flash Drive correctly, then when re-inserting starts looking for missing files /locations.

Many Simply pull out the Drive when finished, but if windows is doing something and you don't actually turn off / eject the Drive safety, you run the risk of corrupting anything on the drive or OS, Which "MAY" be the cause of the slowness relating to the icons.
    Hi wai thanks for your reply, all sorted after a re-boot of lappy. It, the laptop was probably still doing it's thingy, sorting those desktop icons was probably the delay.

The speed on boot-up no longer 10 seconds. But it shuts down in 6 seconds which I find amazing.

lurking.

There was (is) an update that I had come through on 3 Computers today, KB4100347 Once it downloaded certain things decided not to work and two of the computers decided to go on a go slow.

Looking at the Details its related to Intel microcode updates which would case all sorts of problems until a reboot.

wai thanks for the update.

I do family history nearly every day, but only update records on laptop when there has been a significant change on desktop details.

As you may know, BH and I sent our DNA profiles into Ancestry.com 2 years ago and it is only now that the sparks are starting to flow.

Most of my genes come out of Europe, always thought the British Isles were rap*d and pillaged by the Vikings, rofl.

lurking.

Name:	DNA lurking..jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	9.2 KB 
ID:	9040  

Quote Originally Posted by Lurking View Post
    sent our DNA profiles into Ancestry.com .

They're not accurate.
    https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...iew-comparison
    Ex-pctek

Old guy

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    A good way for them to make money though. A Con job which has little chance of resulting in any legal penalties for the perpertrators.

Quote Originally Posted by [B
    CliveM[/B];1280808]A good way for them to make money though. A Con job which has little chance of resulting in any legal penalties for the perpertrators.
    The 1st DNA sample does cost, but then you put those results on several other family history sites, to be able to connect to rellies, as long as they are on those other sites and have their tree on there.

As you can see, I am not of English stock, rofl.

lurking.

Name:	DNA lurking 2.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	9042