Default USB Expansion Portable Drive issue

Hi I have a Seagate Expansion Portable Drive having a issue . The issue started showing up on my Sony Bluray player when watching movies it gave me an error saying " USB is not responding " and just went back to menu . So i then did a virus scan on a windows 7 laptop and it found nothing "No Threats" . Then I did error check of external hard drive and it went about half way and it just stopped . So that means it didn't complete the test. Next thing i plugged in my usb in windows 10 machine and then message pops up saying something like " usb is not recognized and does seem to have malfunctioned" . I get same message on another windows 10 laptop and the test i did first on windows 7 laptop gives similar message. Now I got upset when i saw this and to me it looks like a usb is corrupted badly or in worst case dead.

Currently the USB is connected to the usb port and is on and i can see normal blue light just steady and not flashing when it should flash .

I have attached a picture of device manager result and hope it helps .

Please feel free to ask anything and help if can .

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	66 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	9041  

Default Re: USB Expansion Portable Drive issue

Sounds like its dying .
    Download run seatools for windows to test it , use the result for a warranty claim, if still under warranty.
    https://www.seagate.com/au/en/suppor...oads/seatools/

Could be the cable , more often its a HD fault.

If there's important data on it, then dont plug it in untill you have a definite plan for data recovery

Hi yes i agree with you and i just did the test you told me to do. The result is on both short and long time test it has passed .

Is there anyway to format it it via command or any other way .

Thanks for help

Reading the original post its the drive causing the problem, by testing on a couple of computers more or less removes them as the problem.

I get same message on another windows 10 laptop and the test i did first on windows 7 laptop gives similar message.

What can (and does) happen a LOT - is the actual HDD itself is perfectly fine, the problem happens in the circuit board that is inside the case. The actual hard Drive themselves are nothing fancy, just a standard hard Drive. The small circuit board that connects the HDD to the USB fails, resulting in no access or errors.

Sometimes depending on how they have been manufactured you simply open the cases, remove the HDD and put it into another case or SATA connection on your computer. BUT Some have the small circuit board hard connected to the Drive which means the drive cant be put into another case.

Video & picture I found shows the STD HDD and the small circuit board:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C8RAuks.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	9043

Video of a Seagate Expansion Portable Drive disassembly https://youtu.be/kKLfJh2Dwt0

The Funny part is its a Seagate Portable drive using a Samsung Hard Drive Hmmmmmmm

Keep in mind these drives are not meant to be taken apart so if its in warranty kiss that goodbye if you disassemble it.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 19-09-2018 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cigutab View Post
    Solution ONE. To fix USB device malfunctioned and is not recognized by removing Power Supply

1. Remove your Power Supply plug from the PC.
    2. Now Restart your PC.
    3. Now connect your USB device to the USB ports. That's it.
    4. After the USB device connected to your PC, then plug in Power Supply to PC.

Solution Two. To fix USB device malfunctioned and not recognized by fixing USB Root Hub

1. Open Device Manager. Find the Universal Serial Bus controllers option and single click it to expand.
    2. Find the USB Root Hub option in this category. Right-click it and choose Properties.
    3. Go to the Power Management tab and uncheck the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power option. Then click OK to save your change.

Solution Three. To fix USB device malfunctioned and not recognized by reinstalling USB device driver

1. Open Device Manager (Right Click on Windows Logo and Click Device Manager).
    2. Now find and expand Universal Serial Bus controllers. Now right click on USB drivers and click Uninstall. Do for all USB drivers one by one.
    3. Now, restart your PC. The USB drivers are automatically re-install and solve the corrupted USB devices problem.

Solution Four. fix USB device malfunctioned and not recognized by changing the USB Selective Suspend Settings

1. Right-click on the battery icon and click Power Options.
    2. In the Choose or customize a power plan windows, click Change plan settings>
    3. In the Edit Plan Settings window, click Change advanced power settings.
    4. In the Power Options window, find and expand USB settings, expand USB selective suspend settings and Disable both On battery and Plugged in settings.
    5. Then Click Apply and OK to save the settings.

If the above solutions cannot work for solving the issue of Seagate external hard drive, you may give a shot on restoring data back first. Try this disk data recovery software.

Hi I tried doing all the steps and still it didn't solve . I guess wainuitech was right .

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post

What can (and does) happen a LOT - is the actual HDD itself is perfectly fine, the problem happens in the circuit board that is inside the case.
    Take it apart.
    Remove the drive, and buy another enclosure - or one of those usb to sata adapter gadgets.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by AppleFan View Post
    Hi I tried doing all the steps and still it didn't solve . I guess wainuitech was right .
    YOU more or less maybe without knowing it, gave the EXCELLENT description / answer as to where the actual problem is -- What you may ask ??

From original post:
    The issue started showing up on my Sony Bluray player when watching movies it gave me an error saying " USB is not responding "

Next thing i plugged in my usb in windows 10 machine and then message pops up saying something like " usb is not recognized and does seem to have malfunctioned" .

I get same message on another windows 10 laptop and the test i did first on windows 7 laptop gives similar message.
    That's saying the only thing that's common is the actual USB Drive, NOT any of the 4 devices it was plugged into computer.

Edited: one of the biggest challenges sometimes in fixing computers / devices or problems is actually finding what / where the problem is. ( not as simple as it sounds - unless the smokes coming out)
    Last edited by wainuitech; 21-09-2018 at 08:19 PM.