Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: What Linux for a Vista laptop

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Linux Lite-- Currently got it on a VM its allocated 1GB Memory and runs quite fast.

Works a LOT faster and better than Mint on lower Resources.

https://www.linuxliteos.com/
    +1 for Linux Lite.

It should work very well on a Vista era laptop. Interestingly, it's produced right here in NZ: https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=lite
    "Oh Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system!" - Sheldon Cooper, The Big Bang Theory.

Does "Linux Lite" come with "Libre Office"?

I've found Libre Office excellent at opening Winwoes Office files and saving them in the appropriate Libre format.

Very handy being able to open .doc .xl and other files without a Winwoes machine.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    Does "Linux Lite" come with "Libre Office"?
    Yeah, most Linux distros come with LibreOffice. Although I'm trying out deepin Linux just now which doesn't come with it installed (but it is available in the app store). It comes with WPS Office instead which is much more like MS Office in look and operation.
    "Oh Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system!" - Sheldon Cooper, The Big Bang Theory.

Getting off the topic a bit here:

Deepin Linux is just amazing! I've never seen a more professional and polished version of Linux before, truly beautiful as installed, no need to "tinker" with it. I've installed it on my HP EliteBook laptop and it's performing very well. It's a rolling release which I'm tending to think might suit me better (I'm tired of (re)installing the latest LTS versions of Kubuntu every 2 - 4 years).

Back on topic:

deepin is probably a bit too heavy for a Vista era laptop unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod J View Post
    Yeah, most Linux distros come with LibreOffice. Although I'm trying out deepin Linux just now which doesn't come with it installed (but it is available in the app store). It comes with WPS Office instead which is much more like MS Office in look and operation.
    Thanks for that Rod, must find a spare HDD and take a look.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Deepin Linux is just amazing!
    https://www.slant.co/versus/2702/185..._vs_linux-mint

Mint still comes out on top. It's professional too. No need "to tinker with it."

The good thing about Linux is you can try them out by booting off a DVD first, before you commit to actually installing one.
    I suggest doing that - then it's a personal choice, after all everyone has their different favs.
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    https://www.slant.co/versus/2702/185..._vs_linux-mint
    The good thing about Linux is you can try them out by booting off a DVD first, before you commit to actually installing one.
    I suggest doing that - then it's a personal choice, after all everyone has their different favs.
    Yes, I agree we all have our different favs. I was using Mint KDE 18.2 on this laptop until recently, and it was excellent, but I was very disappointed when Mint dropped the KDE flavour.

Unfortunately deepin is one of the few (maybe the only) Linux that doesn't have a "live" mode on the DVD. At least on the version I downloaded (15.6) which only had the option to install it. There was a large update a few days ago (1.2Gb) which upgraded it to 15.7. The update went without a hitch.

I find Peppermint good it usually picks up wireless cards when you try it and is about 1.2 gb iso https://peppermintos.com/guide/downloading/

Do you have a faster repository for deepin Linux Rod?

I tried to download from the one you linked to and got told it would take 2 Days and 23hrs.

Donít think itís this end because everything else is working fine and I am on fibre.

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    Do you have a faster repository for deepin Linux Rod?

I tried to download from the one you linked to and got told it would take 2 Days and 23hrs.

Don’t think it’s this end because everything else is working fine and I am on fibre.
    Yeah, that is one problem I (and others) have seen with deepin that the server can be very slow sometimes.

Some time ago I stopped downloading distros from the distro servers or sourceforge and I only download ISO's via torrents. I've generally been able to find torrents for all the distros I've wanted to try. I like the torrent method because it takes the load off the overworked servers and can be quite a bit faster too. Just remember to do a checksum on the downloaded ISO to make sure it's not been fiddled with (very unlikely) or corrupted.