Correct my English!

Default There is a saying to describe this...

Hi all,

It's been a while

There is an English saying / software development description that goes something like this:

Let's say if I were to show you a piece of white paper and ask you if it is fit for printing a black text on white paper document. Before I show you that piece of paper, I decide to stick a smiley sticker on top of the paper. You come over and notice the smiley face and go ".... well, if it were not for the sticker, this would have been a good enough white paper for your printing purpose".

The intention for having the white elephant in the room (i.e. the sticker on the paper) is so that people do not feel pressured to find the tiniest imperfection for the sake of a critique; rather, an obvious problem is planted so that it can be picked up from a piece of software that is otherwise fit for its purpose.

Please I am not looking for a debate on the pros and cons of such practice. Rather, I know there is a saying to describe this white elephant and I cannot remember how the saying goes.

Cheers

Free, 24/7 telephone health advice service | Healthline - 0800 611 116

Smoking KILLS. Don't let your life be ruled by cigarettes. | Quitline - 0800 778 778 ‎

Join the unofficial PressF1 WCG team!

Default Re: There is a saying to describe this...

It seems closest to a duck
    "He who resorts to personal insults hath lost the argument."

Twitter

Correct my English!

THANK YOU!

I had the word duck in my head, but thought it was because of the amount of rubberduck-ing that I do at work.

</thread>

Free, 24/7 telephone health advice service | Healthline - 0800 611 116

Smoking KILLS. Don't let your life be ruled by cigarettes. | Quitline - 0800 778 778 ‎

Join the unofficial PressF1 WCG team!

Part of life's perspective. Seeing the imperfections and not working with it or trying to solve all the issues to overcome it. government law making syndrome.