Unhappy Recover deleted data?

I accidentally deleted my backups folder on an external HDD but I realised as soon as it finished so I haven't written any new data to the HDD. What's the best way to recover my deleted data? It's about 500gb or so.

Should've done my backups in the morning, not when I'm half asleep..

Default Re: Recover deleted data?

There are plenty of data recovery programs about that will do it. First you have done the right thing by stopping using the drive.
    To recover the data you'll need to have another location that you can put it, as the data will be copied from the external to where ever you have the space.

Secondly, data recovery programs -- There is one called recova that used to be free, but not to sure as now it appears to be taken over by wondershare.

The problem being you mention 500GB -- many of the free ones are limited to 1-2 GB so if you want more you need to pay for them.

One I use a lot is getdata back https://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm its not free, but has gotten data back from damaged drives when all the others have failed. The trial version allows you to see the data but wont recover it till you fork out the $$. Just recovered approx. 250GB from a drive that the customer had somehow blown away the partition He "thought" he knew what he was doing. Looking at the drive it was completely empty /unpartitioned. Tried to rebuild the partition, but no go. So recovery program it was, 24 hours later ( 1 TB drive) All data back.

giveawayof the day currently has a free giveaway of a data recovery program https://www.giveawayoftheday.com/xbo...-recovery-2-0/ BUT it HAS to be installed before the giveaway expires. At the moment you have till about 7PM tonight.

Another that works quite well is 7-Data Recovery Again, the free version only recovers 1GB

Mind you if they are only backups, then simply don't worry about recovering them, create new backups = Free.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 16-08-2018 at 08:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    T
    One I use a lot is getdata back https://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm its not free
    Thats what I use as well. Works better than any other Ive tried.

You MIGHT get lucky : right click in the drive folder : properties , previous versions , restore (to a different location)

Often when recovering data, the folder directory structure may not be fully recoverable, just the files . It leaves a mess to sort out but better than nothing

Could you just recreate new back ups?

TestDisk is free/open source data recovery software. Many system rescue discs/USB come with it.

Thanks for the advice. I'm trying EaseUS as I've used their partitioning program in the past, so far so good, everything intact, backing up to a 2nd HDD which I should've done before as that's the reason I bought it. I'll get the giveaway of the day program as a backup if this fails.

Moral of the story is to never work when you're half asleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicx View Post
    I accidentally deleted my backups folder on an external HDD but I realised as soon as it finished so I haven't written any new data to the HDD. What's the best way to recover my deleted data? It's about 500gb or so.

Should've done my backups in the morning, not when I'm half asleep..
    Vicx
    Hi,,,Easeus have a free to use Data recovery Wizard..get it from here: https://www.easeus.com/datarecoveryw...y-software.htm

Ahh.... I should have read the replies you had and seen that you have already done the recovery. Well done
    Last edited by kioti; 18-08-2018 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kioti View Post
    Vicx
    Hi,,,Easeus have a free to use Data recovery Wizard..get it from here: https://www.easeus.com/datarecoveryw...y-software.htm

Ahh.... I should have read the replies you had and seen that you have already done the recovery. Well done
    For future reference as well, the FREE version only recovers 2GB, its listed in the specs (previously mentioned).

Free Version Recover 2GB Data for FREE
    Users can instantly recover 500MB data with Data Recovery Wizard Free. Share the software on your Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ to grow to a limit of 2GB. Download and follow the instructions to unlock your 2GB.
    Vicx mentioned approx 500GB to recover. Just a few GB short
    Last edited by wainuitech; 18-08-2018 at 10:04 PM.