Default Maori "indigenous"? I think not.

Just reading the magazine, "Our New Zealand" the onboard travel magazine printed for Kiwirail.

It says, "Maori are the tangata whenua, the indigenous people of New Zealand. They came here 1000 years ago from their mythical home of Hawaiki."

If they arrived 1000 years ago, how can they be indigenous?

My dictionary says, "originating in and characteristic of a particular region or country;"

And visitors to NZ will think they are indigenous. How can they be? What a load of rubbish! And tourists will believe it!
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Apple free in Appleby KarameaDave's Avatar

Default Re: Maori "indigenous"? I think not.

So occupying the land for a thousand years is insufficient?
    Where does one draw the line then?
    Perhaps a million years is also insufficient?
    In which case we all are non-indigenous except perhaps those born in Africa.
    Such a load of racist twaddle seems to emanate from you Roscoe, and little of it shows any grasp of history or any semblance of intellect.
    FTW

from wiki
    "Indigenous peoples, also known as first peoples, aboriginal peoples or native peoples, are ethnic groups who are the original inhabitants of a given region"

They were here first, that makes them indigenous by most peoples definition. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigenous_peoples

A dictionary definition of the word is oversimplifying things methinks.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    Just reading the magazine, "Our New Zealand" the onboard travel magazine printed for Kiwirail.

It says, "Maori are the tangata whenua, the indigenous people of New Zealand. They came here 1000 years ago from their mythical home of Hawaiki."

If they arrived 1000 years ago, how can they be indigenous?
    :

Indigenous peoples, also known as first peoples, aboriginal peoples or native peoples, are ethnic groups who are the original inhabitants of a given region, in contrast to groups that have settled, occupied or colonized the area more recently.

and the link for those who get annoyed when I don't: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigenous_peoples

We're most of us not indigeneous if you think like that...or we're all African....
    Not German, Kiwi, Russian or whatever....
    Ex-pctek

When I went to school we were taught there were only three indigenous races in the world. (Because they couldn’t be traced as coming from somewhere else)

The Australian Aboriginal, the American Red Indian, and one other that eludes me at the moment, but certainly wasn’t Maori.

Then there was the Moriori, who have been conveniently forgotten, and the small matter of the Archaeological Findings in the Waipoua Forest. HERE

Then, for further consideration, there is THIS.

All in all, who was here first is only of academic interest to Historians, whereas who’s here now is what really matters.
    Global Warming is Mann made.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

I take no responsibility for the accuracy of any media links I quote.

And then there is this:

THE RESULTS DNA to Rock the Nation Part 2
    Changing our NZ History

For decades academics have argued over where modern Maori descended from and what route they travelled to finally arrive on New Zealand shores. According to Harvard scholar and marine biologist Dr H.B (Barry) Fell, the first written language of New Zealand was traced back to North Africa and an Egyptian source.

Microbiologist Adele White of Victoria University used mitochondrial DNA to trace Maori origins back as far as mainland Asia. Adele`s supervisor, Dr Geoff Chambers, found a match between one of the variant genes with people from Taiwan and the team went on to study the Y (male) chromosome where they found a completely different story. It turned out that the male line dated back to Melanesia.
    Dr Chambers went on to state that Maori migrated from mainland China to Taiwan, the Philippines, the Pacific Islands and eventually New Zealand. Dr Chambers says less genetic variation among Maori and Polynesians indicates it is likely they have repeatedly migrated over history. Later research suggests that indigenous Taiwanese came originally, not from China, but from countries around and including Burma (Myanmar).
    Although Monica Matumua does not have letters behind her name, she believes she holds a major key to New Zealand’s history, a story of her family which has been handed down for generations.
    Monica believes that her tribe (Ngati Hotu) arrived before the great explorer Kupe; in fact thanks to family history that has been handed down to her from her mother and grandmother before her, she believes that Ngati Hotu goes back 74 generations in New Zealand and that they descend from the Patupaiarehe or Urekehu people who were referred to as ‘fair skinned’, ‘fairy people’ of the hills and mountains.
    Her grandson, Tamati, says that a kaumatua in Taumarunui states that the name Ngati Hotu was only given to his tribe when Kupe and his fellow explorers landed on the shores of Aotearoa. “What we share as Ngati Hotu is what is in our hearts, our smile and what is in our eyes, and thanks to Nana, in our DNA,” he smiles.
    The problems we face today are because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

But the American Indians came from Mongolia BM although I do agree with most of what you have written above

Quote Originally Posted by gary67 View Post
    But the American Indians came from Mongolia BM although I do agree with most of what you have written above
    Be careful on this one Gary, the argument was always "Red Indian" and the "American Indian" appears to be a convenient way for the "PC Brigade" to overlook the facts.

However, it would seem that the "Red" Indians carries a chromosome that the others don't?

I'll get my cousin "Marion" on the case.