Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Birkenhead, North Shore, AK (amongst the bush)

Default Affinity Photo - a Marvellous program

Photography has been my passion for the past eleven years (taken up two years before I retired). I have been very successful, if winning competitions is a measure, but more importantly I enjoy. I use Adobe Lightroom for holding my archive and batch processing - it is very good for that. However for the sophisticated stuff I now use Serif Affinity Photo (based in Birmingham, UK), which is absolutely marvellous. It only costs NZ$75, to buy outright, and is a great competitor to Photoshop. I much prefer it. So just my thought for today, if you are a keen photographer have a look. A steep learning curve, but not too bad if you know Photoshop. There are 220 FREE official video tutorials plus many more on Youtube, Lynda.com, etc. It used only to be only available for Apple, but about two years ago it became available also for Windows.
    Affinity Photo 1.8.5 (marvellous)
    Lightroom 6
    Nik Collection
    AZZ Cardfile
    Intel Core i7 9700K @ 3.60GHz 32 C
    Coffee Lake 14nm Technology

Default Re: Affinity Photo - a Marvellous program

Have you ever tried GIMP? not that I use any of these programs but if I did I'd start with the free one probably.
    Just curious to know how it stacks up.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

I tried Gimp and found it a tad unusual. So, I tried Acdsee which I really like. I have heard that Affinity is good as well. I love photography and I always tell people starting out that photography makes you look at the world differently.

Ken

At present Affinity is selling for only $52 on special. Definitely worth a look at that price.

It's a pity that your spelling is not as good as your photography. It's "programme" not "program." That's the American spelling and let's face it - their understanding of English is pretty abysmal. Let's have Kiwi English, not American.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    It's a pity that your spelling is not as good as your photography. It's "programme" not "program." That's the American spelling and let's face it - their understanding of English is pretty abysmal. Let's have Kiwi English, not American.
    Nope
    lets go with the commonly used spelling. We have assimilated so much American culture , words & meanings we may as well use their BETTER common sense spelling, rather than something pretending to be stuck in the 1800's .
    US/Uk , pfft who cares.
    Lets not forget what a cobbled together language UK English is. Full of foreign words , foreign words with incorrect spelling . How about fixing that first.
    Dont pretend UK Eng is a pure language . And all languages evolve, adding words, meanings & alternative spelling.

though shalt be banished to the land of txt speakers .

Quote Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
    We have assimilated so much American culture
    Lets not forget what a cobbled together language UK English is. Full of foreign words , foreign words with incorrect spelling . .
    we have?
    Some of us perhaps.

As for spelling I was always rather good at it so English doesn't bother me.
    My mum, however, thought it was a stupid language and it took her ages, even now her spelling isn't that great.

But it is what it is...and yes, it's a mish mash now. Originally a german dialect for those who care.

Anyway the program seems to be on sale, and has mainly good reviews elsewhere too, I shall inform my brother who liked Photoshop....

Me, I like the simple ones....
    Ex-pctek

Quote Originally Posted by dugimodo View Post
    Have you ever tried GIMP? not that I use any of these programs but if I did I'd start with the free one probably.
    Just curious to know how it stacks up.
    Gimp is good and free. Absolutely fine, unless you want to go further. The current offer of $52 for Affinity Photo is mind-bogglingly good.
    Lightroom 6
    Nik Collection
    AZZ Cardfile

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    I am very particular in the great majority of case, Roscoe. Nowadays I am on International photographic websites every day. Always make sure to use 'colour' etc, etc. However in the case of 'program', I think it is now a no contest. JMTCW.
    Lightroom 6
    Nik Collection
    AZZ Cardfile

Getting away from issues of spelling for a moment, another piece of photo processing software worth looking at is ON1 Photo Raw (http://www.on1.com/). When it first came out it looked a bit like a Lightroom wannabe, but it has since progressed well beyond that and many people who don't like Adobe's subscription model have moved over from Lightroom. At a one-off price of $US100 it works out much cheaper than Lightroom's monthly payment. ON1 Photo RAW doesn't offer Lightroom's asset management facilities centered around the 'catalogue' ('catalog' to Adobe) which I have become used to and now prefer. But ON1 Photo RAW can be run as a plug-in from Lightroom, giving the best of both worlds.

For me, ON1's main strengths lie in the huge number of presets available for it that you can tweak to your own taste and the flexibility it gives in making local adjustments to photos. As the name implies, it is aimed mainly at photographers who shoot in raw mode, but if you are happy with jpg or tiff it will still give good results.