Default Question for the carpenters

I'm re-laying a deck with 19mm Vitex hardwood. I'm using 60mm decking nails that are 3.15 mm dia. When pre-drilling the nail holes, what size drill should I use?

And yes I know about nail guns and using screws instead, but this is what I'm stuck with.

As always, all suggestions gratefully received.

TIA
    We are all but temporary files on the great HDD of life.

Default Re: Question for the carpenters

6.1.1 FIXING METHOD
    Align profiles perpendicular to joists. Pre-drill all fixing holes, using a drill bit that is slightly
    smaller than the screw or nail shank, to reduce the risk of splitting and ensure a snug fit.
    Fixing placement for a 90mm wide board to be 12.5mm in from each edge of profile, and for a
    135mm, or wider, board, 15mm in from each edge of profile.
    Timspec Ltd recommends using stainless steel, countersunk twin thread decking screws for all
    decking profiles. Fixings must be long enough to achieve a minimum 30mm framing
    penetration.

http://timspec.co.nz/download.aspx?i...5-1f5a267c967c
    Tweak it till it breaks

I normally use 2 or 2.5mm, basically above 50% diameter, less than 75%.

I don't recommend nailing hardwood however, but it seems you're stuck in your ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Kame View Post
    I normally use 2 or 2.5mm, basically above 50% diameter, less than 75%.

I don't recommend nailing hardwood however, but it seems you're stuck in your ways.
    It's not that I'm stuck in my ways. Half of the deck was re-done about 5 years ago and that was nailed, so I want the look to be consistent. I've just totally re-done another deck and there I used screws.
    Thanks for the advice.

Halfway down this page have a read of the PDF for Vitex. I normally use a drill bit just smaller than the nail, never measure them but if the nail says 3.2 on the box I just use a 3mm. Who has time on site for measuring that sort of stuff. Its carpentry not engineering.

Here

Quote Originally Posted by gary67 View Post
    Halfway down this page have a read of the PDF for Vitex. I normally use a drill bit just smaller than the nail, never measure them but if the nail says 3.2 on the box I just use a 3mm. Who has time on site for measuring that sort of stuff. Its carpentry not engineering.

Here
    Absolutely right, but if I'm just setting things up and I have a container of sized drill bits available, I might as well use the most suitable size.

pcsourcepoint

Can robertson screws be used? I seen a chippie use those square drive screws for quickly zipping them in with a drill driver on plywood floor board in our hot water cupboard. They can also be quickly removed...and I seen nails lift...unless if threaded...like screws
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)|I Student NZ (My Student Resoucre Tips)

Quote Originally Posted by kahawai chaser View Post
    Can robertson screws be used? I seen a chippie use those square drive screws for quickly zipping them in with a drill driver on plywood floor board in our hot water cupboard. They can also be quickly removed...and I seen nails lift...unless if threaded...like screws
    On the other deck I used Titan double threaded decking screws that had a square (i.e. Robertson) drive. On this deck I am using decking nails that have annular grooves that help prevent lifting. The old deck I have replaced had ordinary galvanised nails and they were showing no sign of lifting (just the timber rotting. )

Quote Originally Posted by kahawai chaser View Post
    Square drives are used pretty much exclusively in NZ over everything else. However a lot of the double thread decking screws are now a star drive. Square drives can be used in a collated screw gun as can phillips (used exclusively for Gib) usually Phillips No1 which is totally different to pozi drives.

When I first came over the local builders kept telling me Pozi drives were crap, they rounded out etc, etc. Then I pointed out they were using Phillips bits got them to try my Pozi bits and they had to eat humble.

Using a nail gun is a poor idea the boards often split and you need a soft nose sometimes called a decking nose on the nail gun.