Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ebooks

Default Ebooks

Calibre....how? I have this and bought a Kindle book from Amazon. No way I can see to get it, Amazon wanted to sync with Kindle.
    I did go search from Calibre but it just found zip files from assorted places, and on opening (not via Calibre), Calibre wouldn't pick it up.

Not sure I care too much, it was an experiment, cause obviously I can't cart the PC around, and when reading I wander about with a book.

So - What's best, friend said get a tablet, or is a Kindle better?
    If tablet, which? Want cheap and minimal features really... because I don't care about any other features or net use at all on tablets, in fact so long as I can get the files onto the device - even by a cable, I don't care about connecting to the net at all really.

Or is it easier to do it via the kindle itself? Seeing it would be mainly Amazon or Book Depository I'd buy from.

And then how would I backup to my PC or external drive?

I mostly still buy books, love books. On the odd occasion though I buy something not in my usual genre and those I think I would be happy enough to get as an ebook, hence the sudden interest in a gadget.
    Ex-pctek

Default Re: Ebooks

I manage my books on Calibre and load them on to my old Sony bookreader and also onto an old HP 8" tablet. Kindle may be different? Our library's ebook program wouldn't work with Kindle which pissed off a lot of people.

Ken

I have used my Kindle for many years now and most of my reading is carried out on it. I use Calibre to convert formats to ones that the Kindle can read. I seem to recall that Calibre may not be able to open files you buy from Amazon owing to the DRM protection they use, although there are ways around this using addons.
    The easier way to read your files is to install the Kindle app onto your computer or smartphone and link it into your Amazon account. Then you can read all the books you buy from them and even switch between devices if they are linked to the web, carrying on from the last page you read up to.

Got a Lenovo Tablet, -- This one lenovo-a7-10-tablet-3 the ebooks are on the SD card. You can connect to a PC transfer books to the cards, remove do what you want, OR pull out the SD card plug it into a computer and transfer that way as well.

Calibre (available for Windows, Linux and MAC) can manage the books if you want or you can do it manually. You can also convert to different formats.

If on a tablet Google play store has quite a selection of free readers, you just select one you like the use /features for.

The advantage of a tablet over a straight e reader is you can basically add what ever you want, Pictures, videos, audio books etc.

You can spend as much or less for tablets, even if you wanted to get one of the cheap no name brands from the warehouse. If it only lasts a year so what.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

With amazon books you need to remove the amazon drm then add them to Calibre.

To get them on the kindle I believe the email is the best option. Each kindle has a unique amazon email address, if the book is converted to mbz (I think) and then emailed they should get on there.

Hmmm, the Lenovo cheaper at NL.
    Also cheaper than that on Trademe - new.

Even better, used on Trademe, near new. Done, buy now for $90.

Thanks, will have a play with my so far one and only purchased ebook...LOL.
    (But I might download a few short stories just to play around.....till I get the hang of it.)

I'll avoid taking it into the bath though....best to stick with the paper ones there.

And yes, bubbles, turn on my spa jets and a bath while reading books is a thing....
    Ex-pctek

Er how to remove the drm then? Or should I just use the tablet to get the books off Amazon? If so the app does this?
    Ex-pctek

It would be easier to download the Kindle app to your tablet and then read your Amazon purchases using that. The only time I stripped off the DRM from the mbz file was using an addon to Calibre and you also had to know the serial number of the Kindle it was purchased for. I don't know how it is done if you don't have a Kindle.

Use the browser on the tablet to view Amazon and to buy books, then download them onto the tablet.

When you add the Kindle reading app to your tablet, you have to sign in to your Amazon account to associate it with your account. You can then go to your Amazon account and go into your purchased books and select to download to the devices associated with your account. You can then download to your tablet. I can download any file to my Kindle, my partners Kindle, my smartphone or my computer. I can also download to my computer and then copy the file via usb to my Kindle.

Quote Originally Posted by piroska View Post
    Hmmm, the Lenovo cheaper at NL.
    Also cheaper than that on Trademe - new.

Thanks, will have a play with my so far one and only purchased ebook...LOL.
    (But I might download a few short stories just to play around.....till I get the hang of it.)
    We got ours on Special, They (we got two) were under $100 Each, cant remeber exactly it was a couple of years ago now. SWMBO, uses hers every night and still going strong.

If you want some books PM me with What you may like, I Collected a "few" over the years. Got a couple of customers who have said take a copy as a second backup in case they lose theirs.

Now we all know how large eBooks are -- Generally in KB's.

Screen shot of Properties on the server where located.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ebooks.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	7.6 KB 
ID:	8957
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Honestly if you mainly want to read books with it an kindle or other E-reader is far superior to a tablet. Yes a tablet is much more versatile and can do a decent job but the kindle is better for straight books.
    The E-ink display is as close to a real book as you can get electronically, can be read in direct sunlight easily, and has a battery that'll last 10 or more times longer than a tablet (probably a lot more).

I have a kindle paper white and I love it, can store more books than I will ever read and I charge it every few months unless I'm actively reading something at the time. Also there's no real need to backup any amazon purchases as they are always in your library,, but it's easy enough to do if you want to - it acts just like a usb storage device when connected to a pc.

The only thing I don't like about the kindle is using the store for buying books - a pc or tablet is better for that. You can also let kindle synch between devices and most book publishers allow a book to be copied to 5 device, so for me that's kinle, tablet, and smartphone. So I can always continue reading on whatever device I have handy.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070